Training/Running the week before your first half marathon

Options
lilbrowngirl
lilbrowngirl Posts: 35 Member
Hey Everyone,

I'm running my first half marathon next Saturday (May 13th) and I'm wondering what my running/training should look like? Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm really excited! Thanks!

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You should be tapering. If you google Hal Higdon you can take a look at his half marathon training plans on his website and see what I mean. Less is better for the week prior to your half. Good luck. Report back and let us know how it goes!
  • elliemonster
    elliemonster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half on Saturday 13th too. I'm planning on doing 3 runs next week of only 2-3 miles. My longest run so far has been 11 miles so I hope I'll make it - kind of nervous as I know the course is hilly. Not only that but it's not a big event (less than 100 people) so it'll be much harder to hide. Eek! Good luck!!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    My first is May 19th. Thanks for the info, I'll look up his website.

I'm running a 12k race this weekend and plan to run as hard as I can. I'll still have two weeks recovery until the half thankfully! :)
  • lilbrowngirl
    Options
    Hey Ellemonster,
    My longest run was last weekend at 11.1 so hopefully we'll both be ready :)
    Please keep me posted on your half! Best of Luck.

Good Luck to you, JaneyLoses!!! Keep us posted on your half results as well!

xoxo
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to all our first half marathoners!! very proud of you guys!
    It takes guts to get out there in front of everyone and do something like this!
    Not to mention the commitment and dedication that goes into training for it!!

I look forward to hearing all about your runs! :glasses:
  • mbrassette
    mbrassette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My first half is also Sat May 12 -- planning one more long run tomorrow of 10 miles, then a 3 mile and 4 mile during the week, last one being on Wednesday. Excited for the first one!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    It will be so fun to hear about those of you that are about to do your halfs. Mine's not until September and I haven't even officially started my training for it. I'm finishing up my 5k training plan in a week - then onto my half training! Please come back and post all about the experience. I want to hear everything - your running history, how you prepared for your half, what half was it, what you felt/experienced during the run, how it felt afterwards, etc...!
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    me too! I want to hear all that too :)

People keep saying how they run faster/better in a race than in training, but i just don't get how?
    I mean most of my training sessions, i am doing the best i can, i feel like i am giving it my all, so what is it about race day that people tend to run better than in training?
  • elliemonster
    Options
    Tomorrow is the big day!! Good luck to everyone else running their first half tomorrow. I'm as ready as I'll ever be...
  • elliemonster
    Options
    I did it!!! I completed my first half marathon in 2:17 - a lot faster than I thought I would considering how hilly the course was (the last 2.5 miles was all uphill).

My running history: I was never ever a runner, I actually was a competitive swimmer and water polo player and never considered myself good at "land sports". After a move to NY last summer my boyfriend and I started running more and in January this year we decided to give a half marathon a try. I roughly followed the Hal Higdon novice 2 program, running on the treadmill during the week and outside for the long runs. My longest run before the half was around 11 miles.

The race itself: It was in upper 60s and there was little to no shade the whole route so I got hot. I really tried to start out slow but its hard when you're feeling good and ready to go. I got water at every aid station and walked while I drank it. By 6 miles I was a couple of minutes faster than my usual training time so I knew I hadn't gone out too fast. This is when the hills started and it got hard - those steep, straight uphills were tough! I had to take a couple of walk breaks in mile 12 up the hill - looking back I wish i had been mentally stronger and pushed myself to run but my legs were pretty dead.

I can't tell you how good it feels to cross that finish line and complete something that you never ever thought you would be able to do. I might even do another one!!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    I did it!!! I completed my first half marathon in 2:17 - a lot faster than I thought I would considering how hilly the course was (the last 2.5 miles was all uphill).

My running history: I was never ever a runner, I actually was a competitive swimmer and water polo player and never considered myself good at "land sports". After a move to NY last summer my boyfriend and I started running more and in January this year we decided to give a half marathon a try. I roughly followed the Hal Higdon novice 2 program, running on the treadmill during the week and outside for the long runs. My longest run before the half was around 11 miles.

The race itself: It was in upper 60s and there was little to no shade the whole route so I got hot. I really tried to start out slow but its hard when you're feeling good and ready to go. I got water at every aid station and walked while I drank it. By 6 miles I was a couple of minutes faster than my usual training time so I knew I hadn't gone out too fast. This is when the hills started and it got hard - those steep, straight uphills were tough! I had to take a couple of walk breaks in mile 12 up the hill - looking back I wish i had been mentally stronger and pushed myself to run but my legs were pretty dead.

I can't tell you how good it feels to cross that finish line and complete something that you never ever thought you would be able to do. I might even do another one!!

Way to go!! 60's can feel super hot when you're not used to it when you're running. That was the same temp when I did my race and I was sweating pretty hard. Oh and the hills, what a killer! My half marathon this Saturday is all flat and has a little bit of elevation loss, lucky me!

I don't know you, but I feel very proud of you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    My 1/2 isn't until September, and I'm in my first week of training. Already completed a 10K and today I'm aiming to go for 7 miles, and try to gradually progress longer runs as I go, so I hope it turns out good. :happy:
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options

You rock! That is so awesome...be proud, can't wait to do mine in September!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options

Awesome! Great job! That's a really awesome time too!
  • lilbrowngirl
    Options
    Hey All,

Thanks for all the great advice. I had my first half this past Saturday and it was great. Miles 10 & 11 were a real challenge but once I saw the flagpost for 12 I got a little surge and made it home!!

I finished in 2:04:52 and am super stoked!!!

Good Luck everyone!
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Ellie, you're amazing well done! I did my first half in about the same time 2 years ago. Any plans to do another one, or is it too early to ask? :-) I'm doing my second one after a 2 year break this Oct feeling pumped!
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Thanks for all the great advice. I had my first half this past Saturday and it was great. Miles 10 & 11 were a real challenge but once I saw the flagpost for 12 I got a little surge and made it home!!

I finished in 2:04:52 and am super stoked!!!

Good Luck everyone!

AMAZING time! Congrats! I'm hoping to do my 2nd half marathon in 2hrs or under, we need to talk strategy! Can I add you? How long did you train for?