Ladies of Keto!

Options
Hiya!
My husband and I have been doing this together for the last few weeks. I've lost 9 pounds yay! He's lost 20 :-( Any of you having trouble losing weight as fast as partners? Little feminine support?

Replies

• LMGRL
    LMGRL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has lost about 9 lbs and then stalled. I've lost maybe . . . 5? I've been working out a lot, so it's possible that I've gained some muscle, but the discrepancy is pretty par for the course between my boyfriend and I. We're only on our 3rd or 4th week, but after dumping the water weight, progress kind of stalled. Shark week isn't helping.

Hang in there! Women are at a disadvantage, so technically you should factor that into the loss comparison. 9 lbs for a woman = 20 lbs for a guy; I would say that's close, especially if there is a height/weight difference between the two of you. Honestly, whatever works to keep you in a good mindset about it, DO THAT. You are making progress, so don't downgrade it if it's not as impressive as his.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Also, the more you weigh to begin with, the larger your intial losses tend to be. Unless you're me, and holding on to every drop of water possible. lol.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend started Keto about a month ago after seeing my blood test results come back *AMAZING!*. She lost about 10 pounds (mostly water I imagine) but then stalled for a few weeks. I've lost at least 7 in the same amount of time, although I work out a lot more than she does. I also eat a lot more, so I dunno. I know she gets discouraged, but she was also there for me when I plateaued for a month, too.
  • greencup13
    greencup13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Last year my boyfriend introduced me to this diet. We both started together. I was loosing weight rapidly and he really didnt loose any weight. I think it all depends on how everyone is built. He is 5'7 and about 180 while I was 220 (at that time). He really didnt have as much fat so I think it was harder for him to loose. I really dont know Im not an expert. I just wanted to share that this happened to me but just the opposite sex.
  • kapongham
    kapongham Posts: 4
    Options
    I only have a little bit of weight to lose (going from 54 kg/119 lbs to 48 kg/107 lbs), but I've already lost 3 kg/7 lbs in 5 days. My boyfriend, on the other hand, has only lost 1 kg/2 lbs in the same amount of time.

I think it's all water weight though, which may be the case for your husband too.

On a different note, I'm a little worried because I'm taking in too many calories from fat, too few from protein, and too little overall, but I can't eat more without blowing my carb limit. Any advice there?

Has anyone, with about 10 lbs to lose, lost weight this rapidly with ill effects?

I'm thinking of buying protein powder, more specifically Dymatize's ISO-100 (whey protein isolate, no carbs). Any recommendations for low/no-carb powders that are relatively cheap?
  • Califor127
    Califor127 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I just started this diet about a week or so ago. He has lost about 15 lbs while I lost one, gained one and then lost it again. Kinda frustrating, but I've been working on similar low carb stuff for a while and am 5 lbs down from before and 14 lbs down from my highest point ever. I do feel like my 'love handles' seem more firm. So maybe I need to take my measurements to see my results right now?

Still it's tough but I'm sticking with it! Could you some girl Keto dieter buddies if anyone is interested :D

Thanks!
  • intoxicnt
    intoxicnt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just don't even ask what my fiancee has lost anymore, it creates jealous rage haha. I've just accepted the fact that women tend to lose weight more slowly than men in general and I would just as soon not know how he has progressed, because if I do know - I will end up comparing myself to him and then start beating myself up over it.

This is my own journey, and while he's being supportive and going along with doing the whole keto thing with me, I don't want to know how he's doing haha.
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So, me and my boyfriend have been doing Keto since February 4 (I remember the date because it's my sister's boyfriends birthday) and he has lost 53 pounds and I have lost almost 25 (24.9!) pounds. It annoyed me greatly at first, but I have come to realize it's not his fault or mine, it's just that guys lose it easier and that he has a lot more to lose than I do. Doesn't necessarily make it any easier, but you aren't alone! And it helps me to see that there are other women in the same boat I am in. Keep your head up, it'll work out for you. Just takes time. Wish I wasn't so impatient.
  • CaffeineGenie
    CaffeineGenie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it always depends on where you're coming from, dudes often have more to lose and almost always have more muscle, which burns more calories at rest. It can take me weeks to lose a few pounds and while guy friends who stick to a diet drop 20, but this reflects that I'm closer to my target bodyfat percentage.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't have a partner, but I do feel bitter watching everyone else on r/keto drop the weight so fast lol.

I always had trouble losing consistently even when 100% on keto and 100+lbs to lose. I just had to stick it out and eventually the weight would fall off again.
  • nikket3000
    nikket3000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My SO and I have been doing this for 30 days. He has lost 20lbs and I have lost 10, but he is also twice my size.
    He can also have 3x the carbs I can or more without any problem. He also does not count his calories. I do, but I think I like my MFP friends on here and chatting with them and checking up on them keeps me coming back here. I dont know if i would be so successful without everyone. He also has a job that keeps him on his feet all day so its no surprise why he is losing more than me right now.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    guys will usually lose quicker and i'd like to slap them for doing so.