Scooby's BMR vs. Fat2Fit

Options
MyHighestPraise
MyHighestPraise Posts: 87 Member
Hi! I'm new on these boards, but no stranger to the weight battle. :) I've learned sooo much here and it has caused me to re-think everything.

I've been eating below 1000 (700 - 1000 when I food journal through the years) calories a day for years. In my entire life I've never been one to eat much, and yet I've always felt full, happy, and content - except with my weight. My weight has been a battle since my first pregnancy back in 2001.

Fast forward past the last 10 years, subsequent pregnancies, rollercoaster of gains and losses. And did I mention hypothyroidism.

I'm a believer in EM2WL. Sold, already making changes... however, I feel unsure of my daily number to shoot for.

I did all the math on the steps given in another thread (from Kiki, I believe, but not here in this group) and my BMR number from Fat2Fit is 1263. I put that in and for the last few days I've upped my calorie intake there. It's weird, but it does feel right. I've been the most challenged by eating more when my body doesn't "want" it - I'm not hungry for more.

Since I was just not feeling like my number is right, I started reading in the group more and found the thread with the tool on Scooby's website.

There my BMR is 1431. That's a big difference! Since I was using that as my calorie goal and eating back on the days I get to exercise (I read the post about doing it that way when you have sporadic exercise days).

So what number do I use? Scooby calculates my intake at 1374 (which includes a 20% reduction, sedentary, and puts me 35 pounds lighter in a year) which is a good bit higher than the 1263 with eating back calories that I started doing a few days ago.

I didn't want to take a big step immediately anyway, but if I really should up my calories again, I'll do it. Help :)

Thanks for all your support, information, time, all of it. It truly makes a difference to so many!

Catherine

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Could you post your stats, so we can check it?

Neck measurements
    Waist " "
    Hips " "

This is for your BF% (I use Fat2Fit radio for this and then I go to scooby's website to get my numbers).

Also need to know how often are you working out.

Anita
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    Could you post your stats, so we can check it?

Age 40
    Height 64"
    Neck measurements 13"
    Waist 37.5"
    Hips 40.5"

BF (from Fat2Fit) 41.1% My goal weight is 130 lbs which was close to 28% for my goal body weight, if I remember correctly.

I chose Desk/Sedentary - I am home and do housework, in addition to homeschooling my boys. I probably have a higher activity level than sedentary, but I chose less for that and figured the days that are more active are a bonus.

This is for your BF% (I use Fat2Fit radio for this and then I go to scooby's website to get my numbers).

Also need to know how often are you working out. Work out 3-4 x a week for 30 minutes ea.

All those numbers generated the TDEE chart of
    1579 Sedentary
    1810 Light
    2040 Moderate
    2270 Very
    2500 Extreme

Because of the post I had read that said when you have scattered workout opportunities eat your BMR and eat back your calories when you do exercise. The Scooby site said my BMR is 1431 which is a good bit more than the 1263 I get from Fit2Fat. Thx! Catherine

Anita
  • rotnkat
    Options
    I forgot to ask your weight? Your number seem a bit low to me.

Also I would go up level on the activity for your calories.
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    I'm at 153 now, but these numbers were all run at 155, not a big difference, but before I had weighed in with that loss.

Do you mean you would go up in just selecting my activity level, or as in I should get in more activity throughout the day? I try to be as active as I can be throughout the day with my boys and the every day choices we make as far as chores, parking away from the store to increase steps, rollerblading/biking around our neighborhood, but we keep a lot of variety in our day so I don't know ahead how much activity will be in each day.

Going up on my activity level on the charts changes my calorie goal for TDEE, but, obviously, my BMR stays the same. Since my plan is to eat the BMR calories daily and eat back my exercise calories on those days, what am I looking for? I'm sorry I'm feeling rather daft at this point...lol

Thx for your responses :)
  • rotnkat
    Options
    This is what I got for your numbers. I think you should go up a level on the chart to lightly active.

BMR 1254

TDEE for maintenance 1724

15% cut 1465 (lightly active exercising 1- 3 hours a week). Eat this everyday even on the days you workout unless your workout takes you below your BMR. Then you have eat enough to at least net your BMR.

For example if your calories are 1465 and you burn 500 calories exercising, which would take you below your BMR for a net of 965 calories. So then you have to eat 1754 for that day to net you BMR .

I hope I'm not confusing you, but once you get the concept it's pretty easy. Also the videos helped me a bunch.

Anita
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    This is what I got for your numbers. I think you should go up a level on the chart to lightly active.

BMR 1254

15% cut 1465 (lightly active exercising 1- 3 hours a week). Eat this everyday even on the days you workout unless your workout takes you below your BMR. Then you have eat enough to at least net your BMR.

For example if your calories are 1465 and you burn 500 calories exercising, which would take you below your BMR for a net of 965 calories. So then you have to eat 1754 for that day to net you BMR .

I hope I'm not confusing you, but once you get the concept it's pretty easy. Also the videos helped me a bunch.

Anita

Ok, so I'm following you fine all the way to where does the TDEE at 1724 come from? I re-ran everything I could on both sites and didn't find that one! LOL! I'm willing to try to up them, I'm just wondering how you came to those numbers so I can understand completely. Minus 15% is less aggressive than I was hoping for (I was using 20% on Scooby and looking at what 25% generated). I don't mind going slower, but it would be sooo nice to make a difference sooner as we enter beach season... At any rate, I do totally understand eating back only when it takes me below BMR. Thanks for your input there!! I watched several of the videos earlier today, and I definitely plan to watch more as time allows each day.

Thanks again! I'm off to bed, early morning, I'll check back tomorrow to see if you can point me in the right direction for how you arrived at the TDEE #.

I'm going to change my goal calories in MFP now, so I'll be starting the day with a higher goal. Wow, I can't even begin to tell you how much more I'm eating now that I have been in years.

Blessings, Catherine
  • Diesel1984
    Diesel1984 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do not eat less than 1200 calories a day. Emphasize protein: 1g per lb goal body weight. 30% of your calories should come from healthy fats and the rest to carbs.
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    Rotnkat -Where are these videos that you are talking about that helped you? Thank You!
  • rotnkat
    Options

BMR 1254

Anita

Ok, so I'm following you fine all the way to where does the TDEE at 1724 come from? I re-ran everything I could on both sites and didn't find that one! LOL! I'm willing to try to up them, I'm just wondering how you came to those numbers so I can understand completely. Minus 15% is less aggressive than I was hoping for (I was using 20% on Scooby and looking at what 25% generated). I don't mind going slower, but it would be sooo nice to make a difference sooner as we enter beach season... At any rate, I do totally understand eating back only when it takes me below BMR. Thanks for your input there!! I watched several of the videos earlier today, and I definitely plan to watch more as time allows each day.

Thanks again! I'm off to bed, early morning, I'll check back tomorrow to see if you can point me in the right direction for how you arrived at the TDEE #.

I'm going to change my goal calories in MFP now, so I'll be starting the day with a higher goal. Wow, I can't even begin to tell you how much more I'm eating now that I have been in years.

Blessings, Catherine

The 1724 is for maintenance if you don't want to lose any weight. It's important to know if you hit a plateau, so if you eat at maintenance for a week or two and then drop down to the cut calories that should help bust the plateau.

I know what ya mean about wanting to get faster results, but the slower you lose it's more likely to stay off.
  • rotnkat
    Options
    Rotnkat -Where are these videos that you are talking about that helped you? Thank You!

Here is where I found them. Kiki and Lucia are so awesome in answering all the questions you might have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/579855--new-vids-for-em2wl-faqs
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    Do not eat less than 1200 calories a day. Emphasize protein: 1g per lb goal body weight. 30% of your calories should come from healthy fats and the rest to carbs.

Thanks! I went in the goals on MFP and made changes. :)
    Catherine
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    [/quote]

The 1724 is for maintenance if you don't want to lose any weight. It's important to know if you hit a plateau, so if you eat at maintenance for a week or two and then drop down to the cut calories that should help bust the plateau.

I know what ya mean about wanting to get faster results, but the slower you lose it's more likely to stay off.
    [/quote]

Did you calculate the 1724 using the Fat2Fit tools or the Scooby Workshop tools?
  • rotnkat
    Options
    I got the 1724 off of the Scooby's. I only use F2Fto get Military BF% calc and then I go to Scooby's for the TDEE and cut calories.

Use this scooby's website below:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Also in step #8 choose Katch-McArdle and then enter in your BF%
  • MyHighestPraise
    Options
    I got the 1724 off of the Scooby's. I only use F2Fto get Military BF% calc and then I go to Scooby's for the TDEE and cut calories.

Use this scooby's website below:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Also in step #8 choose Katch-McArdle and then enter in your BF%

THANKS!! I have been using a different calculator on Scooby!! No wonder I couldn't get to the same numbers :) THX THX THX for all your help :D
  • rotnkat
    Options
    You're quite welcome and If you have anymore questions feel free to ask away!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank You Rotnkat