Too soon?

Options
I am on week 1, day 1 of my half-marathon training schedule. I keep reading stories to try to inspire myself. One thing that's consistent is that most people doing their first half even have been running a heck of a lot longer than I have. I ran years ago, but not a ton. Mostly 20-30 minute easy running or running hard/walking intervals. Anyways, that was years ago. So now I've only been running since mid February and I used an entire five weeks to build up to my 5k. I'm now at 4 miles as my longest run. With 18 weeks to complete Hal Higdon's 12 week novice program, I feel like I have enough time. But I guess I'm just starting to doubt and thinking maybe I'm nuts after all. So when I do my half I'll have only been running for roughly six months total. That being said, I'm not shooting for a great time goal. I'd like to finish sub-3:00, which is obviously very very slow. I figure I can improve time in the future. I just want to finish!

Replies

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It can be scary - the unknown. However, don't worry about comparing yourself to others. Sounds like you have been dedicated with your 5K training (and smart to follow a plan), and you do have running experience, so don't sell yourself short. So that along with following the half marathon plan, I'm guessing you'll do just fine... and probably not only finish, but faster than your generous goal of under 3:00.

A great way to boost your confidence pre-race is to do a couple of road races - 5K or 10K. Just a thought.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I started my training August of 2011, and was ready to run my first 5K about 3 months later. After that ended, I ran my first 10K just a couple of weeks ago. I'm signing up this fall to run my first 1/2 in September and my first 25K (15.5) in May of 2013. I don't think its ever too soon as long as you know your body and what you feel your ready for. Good luck!! :happy:
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    You have an extra 6 weeks that you have given yourself, so that's a great start! I would recommend staying with week 1 for at LEAST two weeks - probably more like 3 or 4. The beginning is the hardest. Once you have a solid running foundation, building won't be hard.

I pushed myself too hard in the beginning and ended up with a bad case of runner's knee. **If you haven't learned about this condition yet, I recommend reading up on it. Apparantely it is quite common but my doctor gave me a LOT of good advice on preventing it that is working wonders.
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    Try not to psych yourself out over it - you have a lot of time to train and you can definitely do it. Just take it one run at a time, and you will be amazed at how much easier it gets after the first few weeks.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I took me 3 months to be able to run a 5k. I ran my first in November 32.18. 2nd 5k in December 28.28. Then a 10k in Jan 1.00.04, then a half marathon in Feb 2.28. I didn't try to race my half, just wanted to finish!

If you stick to your training plan, you WILL be able to do it.

Good luck!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support everyone. I do feel like I can do this. I guess I still have my moments of nagging doubt though too! I am doing a 5k on June 3rd and I'm trying to find a second race to do. There's a couple of races at the end of July that are in my area. One's a 10k and one's a 7 miler. So I may try to sign up for one of those. I posted the map of the half marathon course along with my training schedule on the wall in my kitchen so that I can constantly look at it. I've also been telling everyone around me that I'm going to run a half marathon - kind of along the "if you speak it, it will happen" line of thinking. I hope I'm not coming across extremely annoying...lol!

Yesterday was Day 1 of my half training. It was an easy day considering it was a rest day. I did do strength training though. Today the running fun begins!
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You'll never know unless you try! :) I did my first 1/2 last month after only running for less than a year. I beat my goal time of 2:30. Give it a shot!!!!
    Good luck!
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am signed up for my first and second haf marathons ever! (in June and August) and have been training for 11 weeks. I get nervous when I think about the distance and compare it to what I have yet to "master" in the next 6 weeks (yikes!). But I know for me, at least, after I hit a new accomplishment...I feel so great that I know I can do it!! I will walk a little if I have to but I will finish and I will be proud! Each time I run further on a long run, I gain confidance....constantly setting the bar higher and passing it up!!
    Good luck with training and with your Half!!
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    To be ready for your first half I believe it is very important to get those weekly long runs in.
    If you find that the long runs are too tough then maybe you can run 5minutes and walk 1minute.
    Good luck and I will be watching your posts
  • AuntNynah
    AuntNynah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know absolutely you can do it! To put your mind at ease, just tell yourself, if the worst happens, you walk a bit. That is not the end of the world! But you can totally work up to running the miles. Look how far you've come already! Just keep plugging away at it.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Wow, a LOT of great advice on here!

As for your long runs, it can be a daunting thought. But the key advice for those long runs, you're not running for a great pace time. You're simply getting your body used to running for a long period of time. If it means walking at times, so be it!

My biggest mistake on my long runs was trying to do a race pace. Not a good idea! That's what the shorter runs and tempo runs are for.

It's fantastic that you are using Hal Higdon's half marathon guide. I will be using a guide for my October half marathon to shoot for a better time than the one I'm doing this coming Saturday (my first too!).

You can do it. I don't think there is a better feeling than finishing a run. I mean, of course it's great to be done, but it's a major success and you should pay yourself on the back after EVERY run!!