Sausage

Options
impyimpyaj
impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
I've been wondering, is sausage technically considered paleo? Because obviously it's meat, but it's not exactly in its natural form. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• blissmanifesto
    Options
    Some people who are super-strict on Paleo don't eat much salt. Sometimes they even eat no salt! Not many are that strict. But those sorts of people typically will make their own sausage by combining ground meats with spices and whatnot. I eat commercially prepared sausage myself, but you have to read the labels pretty carefully: quite a lot of sausage contains added sugar, which I do NOT eat. (Makes me break out.) I don't restrict myself to turkey sausage or any sort of low-fat option, either! Bring on the pork, baby.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Some people who are super-strict on Paleo don't eat much salt. Sometimes they even eat no salt! Not many are that strict. But those sorts of people typically will make their own sausage by combining ground meats with spices and whatnot. I eat commercially prepared sausage myself, but you have to read the labels pretty carefully: quite a lot of sausage contains added sugar, which I do NOT eat. (Makes me break out.) I don't restrict myself to turkey sausage or any sort of low-fat option, either! Bring on the pork, baby.

Good to know about the sugar! I had no idea.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I made some sausage last week. It turned out very good.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Not only sugar, but a lot of the pre-made sausages have added MSG - but they use other terms for it (hydrolyzed soy protein, natural flavorings, etc). I'm not sure if it's that or nitrites, but one of them makes me feel crappy after I eat it.

I made my own over the weekend, using this recipe:
    http://vibrantsexystrong.com/2011/01/21/recipe-breakfast-sausage/

Next time I think I'd leave out the red pepper flakes, a bit too much spice for me (might also be the ginger).
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Not only sugar, but a lot of the pre-made sausages have added MSG - but they use other terms for it (hydrolyzed soy protein, natural flavorings, etc). I'm not sure if it's that or nitrites, but one of them makes me feel crappy after I eat it.

I made my own over the weekend, using this recipe:
    http://vibrantsexystrong.com/2011/01/21/recipe-breakfast-sausage/

Next time I think I'd leave out the red pepper flakes, a bit too much spice for me (might also be the ginger).

Thank you so much for this recipe!!!! I hate the idea of mystery ingredients!!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Yes, thanks for that recipe! I'll try it!