low carb and cardio

Options
Mikaylarae27
Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
...do you do it? I started training for a triathlon and will be doing cardio now 5-6 days/weeks with starting to eat under 50gr carbs (previously was around 100-150) Will the cardio mess with my body becoming a "fat burner". Do YOU think I should be eating more or less carbs. I'm trying to lose about 15 pounds of fat.

Replies

• jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    I do it. In fact, I was doing induction and working out like a fiend. I had lost 28 pounds doing this. Hit a huge plateau about two weeks ago - right after I joined here, hmmm - in fact, I was back up 4 pounds. Anyway I had been trying to fight through the plateau with little success. Last night I decided to up my carbs, and I think I might be on track. (Of course, it's only one day, but I "feel" like things are moving again - is that weird?) Yesterday's carbs were 61 and today I am going to be right around 60 again. So, I say go for it - just tinker with your carbs to see what level and what type of carbs is enough. Good Luck!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'm on a cyclical low carb diet (low carb during the week, moderate-to-high carb on friday/saturday). I run 7-8 miles 3xWeek on low-carb ~50g (100g on a bad day) and a long run on the weekend with a moderate-to-high carb-up. So my weekday runs are usually about an hour and I feel great. What is the duration of your daily cardio? If you were doing 5 days a week of an hour, I'd probably up your carbs a bit. I'd eat a good portion of them after your exercise for recovery. Its good to do some workouts on high glycogen and some on low glycogen.
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says low carb is best. And really if you think about it, cutting carbs makes you lose fast and eating carbs makes you gain it back even quicker. So it's my opinion that carbs are bad. Well, the wrong carbs are bad. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains are all complex carbs and turn into energy to fuel your body. White breads, pastas, potatoes, are all starch which turns to sugar which turns to fat. It's hard to cut them out, because I do love my breads. But I don't want to be obese and unhealthy 3 years down the road.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do about 60 minutes if cardio every other day and usually go to about 30 net carbs in a day. I've had no problems with it.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Alot of runners say you HAVE to have carbs for the energy- I was always fine when I was into running and doing low carbs. Maybe listen to your body- if you seem tired and can't get going, add some healthy carbs!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Here's my n=1 experience. I was on a ketogenic low carb diet for months (sub 20g cho a day), and I did short cardio and heavy weights twice a week. No problem, for a long time. Then I started developing various symptoms which I explained away- cold hands and feet, constipation, dark circles under my eyes...then the weight loss slowed down.

It wasn't until I read a post on Paul Jaminet's site "Perfect Health Diet" that things clicked: low thyroid. Low carb diets (like low calorie diets) can downgrade the body's production of T3. In my case a combination of a keto diet, exercise without refueling on carbs, and a course of antibiotics destroying gut flora *seems* to have caused a glucose deficiency, in turn causing my thyroid to slow down. From what I understand (and hope) this is temporary and reversible by upping carb intake.

I stress that this is what I *think* is happening based on my symptoms, and it matches perfectly with Jaminet's theory.

Short version: I have done exercise without carb refueling, and I think it has had negative consequences for me. If you'd have asked me a month ago I'd have said yeah, sure, exercise on a keto diet, no problem- now I'd be much more cautious and recommend a higher carb level on training days. It's unlikely to hurt you, and may prevent issues further down the line. Just my experience, FWIW.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I low carb and do zumba twice a week, strength train 3 days a week and have done fine. Strength training is new, 3 weeks.
    I still feel great. Keep carbs under 60g but I also have PCOS so it is suppose to work for me.
    If I over carb now, I dont feel well and gain weight back quickly.