What tests to get ???

Options
scooterhaz
scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
I am going in next week to have my HbA1c test done and am requesting a lists of tests. What tests should I get ? I am male 49 years old. When diagnosed in Oct 2011 with diabetes I also had high cholesterol. I have lost about 30 pounds since Oct and am 6' and about 180 now.Have had only one test done since. I have great insurance so I want to get it all done so I know where I stand and can get a better idea for diet ,meds,supplements ,etc. THANKS

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol, liver panel, kidney functions to name three that I can think of. Have you had a PSA as well?
  • scooterhaz
    scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The list I told them I wanted is:HbA1c, micro albumin kidney test,cholesterol/lipids,thyroid,testsoterone,SPA (prostate specific antigen),SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin),estrone , metobolic,creatine,cortisol,vitamin D,foot exam to test nerves & circulation, referral for diabetic eye exam. They said an EKG also. Hope they do give me all the tests , but in the past they have always gotten mixed up or something. But I am adament about it this time. I pay a hell of alot of money for insurance and I want to know where I am with everything.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    What I see is all good. If you are on Metformin, have you vit. D and B12 levels checked.
  • lmclean58
    lmclean58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi scooterhaz,

Looks like you have all the right tests lined up.

Just a suggestion. I find that keeping a written record of all my test results with me when I go to the Dr helps. That way when we are discussing my latest test results, I can compare it with my former results and ask better questions. I use a tablet with the Evernote app. I have a list of all my meds and doseages, a list of all the tests and just update it with my most current results as I get tests done.

Since you have good insurance, have you taken a diabetes education class yet? If not, your insurance should cover it at least partially.

keep up the good work!