slow food slow carb? i.e., less cans

Options
warutledge
warutledge Posts: 8 Member
I just started the 4HB slow carb diet. I'm actually flirting with more keto-type diet, having watched a friend (extremely sedentary) drop 50+ lbs in a few months without giving up his video gamer lifestyle.

I'm not much for canned food, being a Bay Area, CA transplant, active gardner, eco-snob. I was really kinda shocked how blatant Tim Ferris seemed to encourage a canned and menu diet. Anyone getting the high protein without a can opener and microwave, without spending forever in the kitchen?

Of course, I haven't planned to eat this many beans since I gave up my years as a vegetarian.

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 lbs followign the 4HB. I have eaten some things out of a can, but have been able to get protein through a protein shake first thing in the morning, chicken, turkey burgers, shrimp, sunflower seeds and even cauliflower. It is possible without eating out of a can. You have to know what foods have it.

Good luck with your journey.
  • LM297
    LM297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this way of eating for the past month now & love it!
    For me the only canned food I've had is black beans & occassionally refried beans evrything else is made fresh, salads, grilled veggies steamed veggies, lentil soup. once a week I'll make either a large batch of slow carb meatloafs or I'll grill up chicken, burgers, steaks ....wrap it up & reheat when ready to eat. This has been very easy for me. And I'm consistently losing weight & have lost a bunch of inches as well.
  • warutledge
    warutledge Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks, y'all. first week went well, lost 5lbs going into cheat day. today is cheat day, tho. i'm a little worried.

after my cheatin' second breakfasts, i'm a little...well, disgusted? is this really gonna work? i mean, I only had A buttermilk pancake and half a buttermilk gluten-free waffle, but sheesh, stuffed. First breakfast was chicken and eggs and slaw. Oh, and grapefruit juice and AGG, tho not really thrilled with supplements.

@LM297, big meatloaf for the week is a great idea!

@thriftycupl, i've seen a lot of comments about protein shakes. i think i'll have to try them, as eggs and bacon every day kinda worry me. actually, feel really full from them, and I'm not quite hitting my protein mark for the day. I keep eating, tho, to keep calories at 2000. i think other times i've dieted i've gone under by quite a bit, then just lost all my steam after a couple weeks.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have to plan what I eat more than I used to, but it's worth it. Once you find what works, just like the book says, don't reinvent the wheel. I would have never thought I could eat cauliflower every day, but now that I do, I have no problems with it.

After every cheat day, I gain weight. My cheat days are Sundays and on Monday I weigh myself. Then a few days later I've lost the weight from cheat day. Don't worry -- it all works out in the end and allows you that opportunity to enjoy the food you've been craving.
  • ebster
    ebster Posts: 3
    Options
    This is my 4th week on the 4HB and I'm doing ok. I've lost 15.2lbs since May 7th. Week 2 was really rough but luckily I studied my MFP food journal and discovered what I was doing wrong. I'm not seeing the big numbers in weight lost this week so I'm doing my best to stay encouraged. Only down 2lbs so far this week. Maybe I'm not eating enough calories or something. For those interested, here's my typical daily meal plan

Breakfast: 1 scoop GNC Lean Shake (chocolate)
    1 scoop GNC Amplified Whey Performance Protein
    Water & Ice
    A couple cups of coffee
    Lunch: Burrito Bowl w/Chicken Breast
    Dinner: Thin Pork Chop (pan fried)
    Sauteed spinach or asparagus
    Dessert: 1 whole lemon (kinda weird...i know. but i love it!)
    I drink TONS of water too!
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You're saying you've lost 15.2 lbs in slightly more than 3 weeks and you're discouraged?

It's going to slow down, but 2 lbs per week is more than respectable AND sustainable, more importantly. On 4HB, you'll tend to have your biggest loss in the first couple weeks if you've been eating a more standard high carb diet from the water shifts that go along with switching to slow carb. If you are low carbish to begin with, you might not lose much at all (I didn't lose more than a lb, maybe 2 the first month, but this month I've lost 8).

Is there any reason why you're only having a shake for breakfast? Do you have time to cook something? IMO, at a minimum you need more fats in your AM meal.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just started the 4HB and it's the simplicity of it that I like. I cooked all of our food for the week in 2 hours Sunday. Saturday will be my cheat day then start all over again.

I found a 4HB chili recipe on line and IT IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!

A whole lot of meat, bunch of beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, fennel seed, chili powder and simmer. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!