new to this group

Options
myjourney2
myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
Hi there! I found the link to this group when reading a thread on hypothyroidism. I have an underactive thyroid and am having a hard time losing weight. Looks like I am in the right place for motivation and support :)

Replies

• FJHutch
    FJHutch Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi, I just joined too for the same reason :)
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi! That is why I joined too.
    I only just started losing weight. I started on cytomel at the end of April. I had been on just levothyroxine for 18 years. That is a long time to be on just one med. With steady weight gain over the years, I just always felt blah. I can't say yet if I feel tons better, but losing weight is a huge motivator for me.
    My Dr. decided to add it, because I have had a problem losing any weight for the last year. Plus I just wanted to try something different for the depression and other symptoms. I have not been on antidepressants for 2 months now. I feel pretty good in that sense.
    I am just loving the new change though.
    I wish you much luck on your journey and keep working at it. I did even though I was not losing, and it is finally paying off.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!! We are constantly picking up new members -- people with hypothyroidism that can't lose weight.
    My thyroid bible is www.stopthethyroidmadness.com -- it's a lot of material, but walks you through what's going on with your thyroid.

Here's a thought: If Endos and doctors know so much about treating hypothyroidism, why are there hundreds of people on this forum with symptoms? And why are there 10,000 people on the Facebook group for Stop The Thyroid Madness? If they were really treating thyroid disease, why are we all still sick?

Just sayin'

Terri
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here and will get a much better understanding of what is going on with your thyroid.
  • zmacmum
    zmacmum Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this group and to hypothyroidism. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and now that I'm motivated to do something about it, I find out that my thyroid isn't functiioning properly. I'm still going to plug away at trying to lose weight by taking my medication, clean up my diet and do something active daily. I'm glad I found this group. Your posts are very informative. Thanks!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Tons of information is shared here. We are all here to support one another to be symptom free and lose weight!
  • karmelag
    karmelag Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi
    I also just joined the group as I've gained the most amount of weight in my life since I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.

K
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am new here as well. My ENT suspects that I have hypothyroidism and suggested that I visit a doctor who specializes in endocrinology to get testing done. I have been fighting back a yeast infection (candida) for 6 months now that just wont go away which I guess is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. The ENT gave me a list of over 90 symptoms that may suggest hypothyroidism. Do we all have this issue? :smile: .
    The ENT has me on dessicated thyroid for now until I can get diagnosed and tested for hypo. This all seems pretty painful to me as I have heard that once you start taking meds for the thyroid that it is a life long journey. Apparently the thyroid figures it doesn't have to work as hard. FWIW, I've still managed to drop 133 lbs so far and I don't seem to have a problem losing weight other than the normal plateaus, etc.

I look forward to learning more from the group and helping where I can.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Losing weight with hypothyroid is difficult, but if we help support each other I know that we can do it! Feel free to add me!
    Mary
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I am new here as well. My ENT suspects that I have hypothyroidism and suggested that I visit a doctor who specializes in endocrinology to get testing done. I have been fighting back a yeast infection (candida) for 6 months now that just wont go away which I guess is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. The ENT gave me a list of over 90 symptoms that may suggest hypothyroidism. Do we all have this issue? :smile: .
    The ENT has me on dessicated thyroid for now until I can get diagnosed and tested for hypo. This all seems pretty painful to me as I have heard that once you start taking meds for the thyroid that it is a life long journey. Apparently the thyroid figures it doesn't have to work as hard. FWIW, I've still managed to drop 133 lbs so far and I don't seem to have a problem losing weight other than the normal plateaus, etc.

Hypothyroidism is a lifelong health issue -- it's really not about taking the meds and making it worse. It's about finding a quality of life with the disease. I'm glad to hear you are on natural dessicated thyroid -- it is gentle to your system and is very beneficial to getting rid of symptoms.

There are a lot of weird, unrelated symptoms -- most of us have trouble losing weight and/or keeping ourselves from gaining -- if you don't maybe there's hope!!
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Hypothyroidism is a lifelong health issue -- it's really not about taking the meds and making it worse. It's about finding a quality of life with the disease. I'm glad to hear you are on natural dessicated thyroid -- it is gentle to your system and is very beneficial to getting rid of symptoms.

There are a lot of weird, unrelated symptoms -- most of us have trouble losing weight and/or keeping ourselves from gaining -- if you don't maybe there's hope!!

Thanks for the reply and you make some very good points. Until the past month, I have always associated hypothyroidism with weight gain problems. (Just plain ignorance on my side). I have two other daughters with hypothyroidism (one has hashimoto's) who are also suffering so this looks like something that I will be digging into a lot harder.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and you make some very good points. Until the past month, I have always associated hypothyroidism with weight gain problems. (Just plain ignorance on my side). I have two other daughters with hypothyroidism (one has hashimoto's) who are also suffering so this looks like something that I will be digging into a lot harder.

And Hashimoto and Hypothyroidism do run in families -- my mother had a terrible time with it all her life.

Doctors are woefully behind the times on treating hypothyroidism -- they measure our TSH and give us Synthroid... never asking or caring about our symptoms!! TSH gets normal and their job is done -- except we still have symptoms and lots of them!!

So, education is our best defense -- if you want to get some fast information try: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
    Written by people with hypo for people with hypo.