Paleo and inflammation

Options
2»

Replies

• kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started paleo about a month ago and literally felt like I had the flu for the first few days.
    I drink coffee at work (4 days a week) and for the first 2 weeks I continued to use heavy cream (no sugar) and still seeing a lot of benefit from changing my diet but I couldn't get rid of a cough I had had for almost 2 months. When my cream was gone, I tried using just coconut milk but it just didn't taste as good. Then I came across this recipe for paleo coconut milk coffee creamer and now love having my work coffee! Sometimes I'm tempted to leave out the coffee and just drink the creamer but I can't deal with 10 screaming little ones that early without it (pediatric dentistry). Anyway 2 days after cutting out that tbsp on heavy cream, my cough cleared right up. It really was amazing that the tiny bit of dairy I was having kept me coughing. Here is a link to the recipe. It's super easy to make and keeps in the fridge until the end of my work week.

http://hip2save.com/2012/02/29/delicious-coconut-milk-coffee-creamer-recipe-non-dairy-paleo-friendly/

Tip: If you do try this chill the can of coconut first.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I started paleo about a month ago and literally felt like I had the flu for the first few days.
    I drink coffee at work (4 days a week) and for the first 2 weeks I continued to use heavy cream (no sugar) and still seeing a lot of benefit from changing my diet but I couldn't get rid of a cough I had had for almost 2 months. When my cream was gone, I tried using just coconut milk but it just didn't taste as good. Then I came across this recipe for paleo coconut milk coffee creamer and now love having my work coffee! Sometimes I'm tempted to leave out the coffee and just drink the creamer but I can't deal with 10 screaming little ones that early without it (pediatric dentistry). Anyway 2 days after cutting out that tbsp on heavy cream, my cough cleared right up. It really was amazing that the tiny bit of dairy I was having kept me coughing. Here is a link to the recipe. It's super easy to make and keeps in the fridge until the end of my work week.

http://hip2save.com/2012/02/29/delicious-coconut-milk-coffee-creamer-recipe-non-dairy-paleo-friendly/

That sounds good! How long does it keep in the fridge? The egg has me a little wary.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Foods that cause inflammation can be an individual thing depending on your genetic background. It seems the big three univerally are sugar (added sweeteners), wheat, and dairy (some people react to the milk sugar, lactose, and others to the protein, casein). Then there are certain vegetables like those from the cole family (brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, etc) or alliums like onions and garlic. I just use these as examples ... as has been pointed out, another trigger can be the nightshade family. You have to experiment with your own body to find the optimum food choices for you. Sometimes just limiting the irritating food is satisfactory; I love garlic and onions, but it upsets my gut as if I've had bread; so, I just flavour the oil/fat with garlic/onions and remove it.

For me giving up dairy was the last thing to go: yogurt and cheese are so healthy, right? ... but when I eliminated those to see what happens, within 3 days my sinuses drained and could take a breath that felt like it used my entire lung capacity. First time ever after decades of running! I used to read about dairy causing mucus and thought that was BS ... everyone is different. It was about 3 weeks into paleo when I noticed my knees didn't ache anymore, and shortly after that there was no going back to eating the old way. There's no cinnamon bun or piece of cake that is worth having sore knees.

The hardest thing for me to limit is a glass of wine from time to time. The only coffee I drink is espresso with sugar ... this is my vice. Well, not the only one ;-)
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    On the inflammation thing. I had a horrible shoulder and was in PT and considering surgery to get rid of the constant pain. I was told I just couldn't work out (I kickbox and lift) or golf. It was a post on MDA about systemic inflammation that caught my eye. I read and read and read not believing that food / grains could cause my shoulder to hurt (indirectly of course).

Then I started doing it. Lbs came off, and so did the ice packs. My rotator cuff still will let me know it is there - but do NOT have the shooting pain as in the past and literally threw away the ice packs I used after every exercise.

This is the same reason I went Paleo. I still have issues with my shoulder but much better then it was before. My carpal tunnel has also improved greatly. I still have a way to go and need to tweek my diet more but it's been sooo much better.
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing the link! This looks great and can't wait to try!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It was at about 3 weeks where I said, "Hey, I haven't pulled out an ice pack or taken ibu lately".
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    As a former sweet and creamy coffee lover, I've been playing with my morning coffee since going primal. Currently, I'm using my blender to whip my 12 oz of coffee with about 1/2 a cup of unsweetened almond milk. I think the foaminess cuts the "bitter" taste that used to be cut by sugar. Does that make sense?

I don't do fake sugar and was really interested in getting away from the sweetness, but didn't want to drink it black (yet). I also want the added calcium, but half and half makes my scalp feel cruddy, I think. (Sorry.)

I feel ya re: dealing with kiddos early and just let me have my coffee, dammit. (Hey maybe we all should switch to Bailey's Irish Creme in our coffee!!) About 10 or 11 years ago I quit smoking and couldn't imagine ever enjoying my coffee without a cigarette (or 2 or 3 or more.) And I got over that pretty quick. I'm not telling you to give up anything, but my point is, you'd be surprised what changes you're able to make when you're ready. Good luck!
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    Options

That sounds good! How long does it keep in the fridge? The egg has me a little wary.

I've used it up to a week but it's usually gone before that. It's also really good on berries. If you use pasteurized eggs it keeps longer which is pretty easy to do on your own but I probably wouldn't use it after the week mark.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would try drinking black coffee. I used to drink sweetened coffee with cream but I now drink it black. Occasionally I might use half and half but I think I prefer just black now. For me, it helped to switch to a darker roast coffee because that seems like it has more flavor.