First Half Marathon

Options
JenJenS5
JenJenS5 Posts: 31 Member
I just signed up with a friend to run my first half marathon. Training started last week and im really nervous. I had knee surgery last year to remove a lot of cartilage in my left knee. I have been pretty swollen and slowly losing my original motivation. What has help some of you stay focused and avoid further injury?

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My training schedule is taped to my wall along with a map of the half marathon course. I cross off every work out as I complete it. I have a journal that I write in every day - sometimes training tidbits, thoughts about that day's run, running tips I've learned, weight loss stuff, measurements, etc...I have added and am continuing to add running friends on MFP and dailymile so that I can see people's runs and feel determined to do my own. I read running blogs and live vicariously through other people's victories and medals, but then become thirstier to have my own! Just to name a few things...lol!
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    Over the last few months leading up to my first Half I battled a variety of injuries, and I've always battled joint problems. The biggest things I can tell you is to take your time as you build up your distances and to find supportive gear (a great brace, good shoes, etc) that minimize the impact to your knee. Rest time is important, as is good stretching and icing down after running.

As far as staying focused, once I registered for my Half that was motivation enough! But on a daily basis I set goals, whether they were running/distance goals, strength training goals, etc. I also agree with SweatPants - reading other runners stories helps to keep things in focus. And knowing that no matter what you are going to cross the finish line!!
  • AuntNynah
    AuntNynah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nothing has gotten me more motivated to go complete the run on my schedule than reading other people's progress. Does it for me everytime!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Over the last few months leading up to my first Half I battled a variety of injuries, and I've always battled joint problems. The biggest things I can tell you is to take your time as you build up your distances and to find supportive gear (a great brace, good shoes, etc) that minimize the impact to your knee. Rest time is important, as is good stretching and icing down after running.

As far as staying focused, once I registered for my Half that was motivation enough! But on a daily basis I set goals, whether they were running/distance goals, strength training goals, etc. I also agree with SweatPants - reading other runners stories helps to keep things in focus. And knowing that no matter what you are going to cross the finish line!!

Totally agree.

Take it slow and rest, rest, rest on your recovery days. If you can't sit still, swim or perhaps bike for cross training. Let those joints rest, rest, rest! Listen to your body. Runners World has great advice on learning to enjoy your run if you pop over to their site.

Good luck!