Patience when upping calories, BUT.....

Options
d_89
d_89 Posts: 30 Member
So my calculated TDEE-15% is about 1700-1732 depending on the formula i use. I've been gradually upping my calories from 1300 by 100 calorie increments.

At each increment I've lost weight by the end of the week (Saturday weigh ins) of about 1-2lbs and maintained it. Last week i finally reached my 1700 mark and realize that I've gained 3.5lbs! (no TOM, or excessive sodium) I know the body takes time to adjust, but my body has responded positively to increasing cals, until now.

(I've recently stopped going to the gym, and began working out from home. I don't have all the equipment and thus don't get a large burn as i would have at the gym. )

Should I:
1) Wait it out for my body to adjust
2) Change my activity factor for my TDEE calculation?
3) Go back to eating 1600

FYI:
Age 23
Height 4'11.5
Weight 154

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and recently upped my calories as well. From my experience, you need to give it a little more time. I gained as well while upping but I lost inches. I would suggest to give your workouts as much as you possibly can and stick to your cut for at lease a month.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    So my calculated TDEE-15% is about 1700-1732 depending on the formula i use. I've been gradually upping my calories from 1300 by 100 calorie increments.

At each increment I've lost weight by the end of the week (Saturday weigh ins) of about 1-2lbs and maintained it. Last week i finally reached my 1700 mark and realize that I've gained 3.5lbs! (no TOM, or excessive sodium) I know the body takes time to adjust, but my body has responded positively to increasing cals, until now.

(I've recently stopped going to the gym, and began working out from home. I don't have all the equipment and thus don't get a large burn as i would have at the gym. )

Should I:
    1) Wait it out for my body to adjust
    2) Change my activity factor for my TDEE calculation?
    3) Go back to eating 1600

FYI:
    Age 23
    Height 4'11.5
    Weight 154

I wouldn't worry to much about the 3.5lbs I am sure it is carbs and water weight. Have you been doing measurments? That would help you see any difference in fat vs scale weight. I do both but I would not really go by the scale as it varies daily. For me I can jump 5lbs in one day up and down. If your calculations are correct then you pretty much can't gain fat on a caloric deficit, and if you can I sure why like to hear how.:smile:

It sounds also you may not be burning as much as before and that may warrant a recalculation. But you can also just go at this for about a month and see what happens. If you don't lose then drop your calories 5% or so.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I would give it about 6 weeks and try to keep your calories as consistent as possible. When I did my metabolism reset, I was freaking out. I'd eat TDEE one day, then way below BMR the next, all the while doing insane amounts of cardio. I ended up gaining quite a bit of weight and felt so uncomfortably bloated. Consistency is so important!!!
  • d_89
    d_89 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! i feel much better now :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 12250 extra calories above your TDEE, it is not a real gain.

you need to give it more time.