getting my book and started with weights, so....

Options
Very excited...my friend Terrie and I met with our trainer and got a weight work out going, AND my NROLFW book is coming today!

I've read a gazillion posts and Terrie and I have discussed this at length, but I'd like to get some of your thoughts on MY thoughts :wink:

FIRST: the book says to only eat your highest number ON STRENUOUS WORK OUT DAYS, eat a slightly lower count on ACTIVE (but not strenuous) WORK OUT DAYS, and to eat slightly less on the NON WORK OUT DAYS. I know Lucia told me to eat the SAME NUMBER (TDEE -15%) everyday, only eating MORE than that on high burn days. So, there is a little discrepency (in my understanding) on this...can you tell me: do you vary your calories on STRENUOUS/ACTIVE/NON work out days, or do you eat the same # everyday? I HAVE done the calculations given on this board and, the numbers I got vary only slightly from what I did doing the calculations from the book...

SECOND: I don't think our trainer gave us a hard enough work out. I was sore, but I was NOT dying the next 2 days. I was able to go back and do the same routine with MORE reps and, today, I'm not ANY sorer...don't really feel like I worked out that much, and with this weight stuff being pretty new, I expected to be pretty sore...maybe that's wrong thinking? SOOOO, if I want to make it harder/more effective, do I up reps or up the weight?

Thanks in advance for any replies...very excited to see what happens by my 40th birthday in July (that is my goal for some real change!!!!!!:love: )

Replies

• curiousheathy
    curiousheathy Posts: 108
    Options
    I'm looking forward to hearing these answers too! I'm hoping to get a copy of the book for myself this weekend :)

I wish you all the best!!!!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Very excited...my friend Terrie and I met with our trainer and got a weight work out going, AND my NROLFW book is coming today!

I've read a gazillion posts and Terrie and I have discussed this at length, but I'd like to get some of your thoughts on MY thoughts :wink:

FIRST: the book says to only eat your highest number ON STRENUOUS WORK OUT DAYS, eat a slightly lower count on ACTIVE (but not strenuous) WORK OUT DAYS, and to eat slightly less on the NON WORK OUT DAYS. I know Lucia told me to eat the SAME NUMBER (TDEE -15%) everyday, only eating MORE than that on high burn days. So, there is a little discrepency (in my understanding) on this...can you tell me: do you vary your calories on STRENUOUS/ACTIVE/NON work out days, or do you eat the same # everyday? I HAVE done the calculations given on this board and, the numbers I got vary only slightly from what I did doing the calculations from the book...

SECOND: I don't think our trainer gave us a hard enough work out. I was sore, but I was NOT dying the next 2 days. I was able to go back and do the same routine with MORE reps and, today, I'm not ANY sorer...don't really feel like I worked out that much, and with this weight stuff being pretty new, I expected to be pretty sore...maybe that's wrong thinking? SOOOO, if I want to make it harder/more effective, do I up reps or up the weight?

Thanks in advance for any replies...very excited to see what happens by my 40th birthday in July (that is my goal for some real change!!!!!!:love: )

To answer your first question the reason Lucia and Kiki say to use the same number every day is so that your body begins to depend on you for consistency. So many people have eaten so little and binged once a week that their body doesn't know what to expect.

The second question is to up your weights. I am not sure how many reps your trainer set you up with but usually the rule of thumb is 8 reps not sure how many sets usually 3. So if you can get through 3 sets of 8 reps and not be at failure then you go up in weight. It would help if you could post the schedule that your trainer gave you.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I would like to know about the calorie question as well as I have always wondered. :)

I will be starting stage 4 (out of 7 stages) in the NROL4W book. I havent been sore at all and have been lifting the heaviest I have ever lifted in 20 years. I was sore after doing Bob Harpers DVDs and Supreme90 DVDs but never on this plan sooooo.... Not sure why but thats been the way its been for me. I have been second guessing but everyone else has awesome results so I'm sticking out the 7 stages. I know others have been sore but I havent. :( I really wish I was so I knew it was/is working. I would increase weight to get sore but I cant get another lift in with what I'm doing so its not that. Doubt i was much help but at least you know you might not get sore with this plan either. :)
  • terrieloose
    Options
    I'm the friend, Terrie.

We are very excited and get this whole thing going. One workout in. Today I go in with my NROLFW book and log. Looking forward to results by Megan's birthday too!!

The calorie cut is confusing but we are upping them and I am not stepping on the scale for one month. Well I'll try not to being a habitual scale weigher!

Thanks for answering our questions on here, it's been very helpful!

Terrie
  • mom24littleones
    Options

To answer your first question the reason Lucia and Kiki say to use the same number every day is so that your body begins to depend on you for consistency. So many people have eaten so little and binged once a week that their body doesn't know what to expect.

The second question is to up your weights. I am not sure how many reps your trainer set you up with but usually the rule of thumb is 8 reps not sure how many sets usually 3. So if you can get through 3 sets of 8 reps and not be at failure then you go up in weight. It would help if you could post the schedule that your trainer gave you.

That's what I thought about the calories...that it's in an effort to get our bodies to trust us. I TOTALLY get that, but I just wondered if that was from the NROLFW book or something they knew on their own? What do most of you/us on here do? Eat the exact same everyday OR eat more on work-out days, less on non work-out days? I am not trying to get out of eating more, I just want to understand this correctly and why our faithful leaders :love: have a slightly different take on the calorie thing than the book says :)

I will go up in weights...that is what Terrie said the book said too, but I just wanted to hear what others thought...I will post the work out he gave us...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I am new with the idea of eating more, but for my workouts I am eating the same calories just to get used to eating so much more to go along with the workouts I do. So you may just want to maintain the same calorie intake (your cut) for most days unless you have one really good workout in there is what I would say.
    As for the weights and the reps with your training, if you are lifting weights and it seems easy, you may want to add more weight as well.. but that may not even get you sore, if your working out the same muscles that you normally use everyday you probably are not going to be sore like your looking for, you may want to have your trainer give you different target muscles for different days (different exercises to target muscles that aren't generally used).. if they had you go back and do the same routine 2 more days then your not giving your muscles time to heal (or I am reading that wrong) you should be alternating body areas between days (chest/tricep.. back/bicep.. legs etc on different days or to make it easy upper then lower body)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    For a month and a half I ate the same every day. Now I'm transitioning to eating more on workout days and less on others. If this doesn't work- guess what I'm running back to? Same every day :D It's so much easier and so important to get right first.

Plus, since you're new to lifting you have a great window here where your body will absolutely love to have the same amount of calories every day. It's going to be going 'bwuhh?' from the lifting in the first place- why not make it happy with a solid feeding every day.

If you can do 12 reps with your weight- then it's time to up it. Has your trainer found your max rep yet? You do an exercise with a weight just heavy enough you almost fail but complete it. Obviously- not for those of us who are at home alone with a weight bench but your trainer should have done this- otherwise how will they know what your percentages are and how much weight you can really push?