New To Running!

Options
Hey! I am new to running. I got some good running shoes and I want to eventually be able to run a 5K. How do I get started? Any tips? I need all the advice I can get so comment away!

Replies

• jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    People in this thread are using the program found here: http://www.c25k.com/

It slowly builds you up to running over a 9 week period. You can find some excellent podcasts that will time the running/walking intervals for you - that's what I used in the past with this program so I didn't have to stare at my watch.

I'm waiting for clearance from my physio to start the C25k program for the second time (recovering from a non-running related injury). What I did last time: I was walking and doing circuit training for about 2 months before I started the program (although many people just jump right in from the couch). I would walk briskly for 2 songs on my ipod (my warmup), then I would start my podcast with the appropriate day's walk/run intervals from the C25k program. After I finished the C25k intervals, I usually walked for another 2-3 songs as an extended cool down. The C25k podcast I used had a warm up and cool down included, but I just extended it. Then I would get home and stretch my calves, quads, hamstrings, & glutes.

I would do my runs in the morning before breakfast, or I might have a glass of water and small piece of fruit an hour before I ran. If you have good running shoes - you really don't NEED any other equipment/clothing. Also, I was really struggling with the program, so I repeated each of the first 3 weeks of the program a second time (for a total 12 weeks to 5k). Lots of people do that. Also, start by running slow. You should be able to talk during the running intervals. Don't worry about speed. Speed comes later. I felt like I was running in slowmo, but I got through the program and beyond.

Good luck!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    C25K is the way to go from me being a couch potato and non runner.......................... did 10k on the treadmill yesterday and am doing a 10k race next month :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Definitely take it slow, it sounds like a lot of people did the same thing I did, pushed too hard at the beginning and ended up having to take a break. I've started the program twice, once I gave up when I started having terrible hip pain. The second time I was in the middle of week 4, pushing myself hard, dieting as well, and I came down with shingles. Probably just a coincidence but I think I was doing too much and not feeding my body properly. I'm about to give it a try for the third time, and with everybody's great suggestions and advice on here, I really hope I can run a 5k in September. Wish me luck!
  • marduffson
    marduffson Posts: 6
    Options
    Good Luck! I just started running this week and I'm trying to really focus on form. I'm short and top heavy so, its always been challenge for me so, like your advice says, I'm going slow and taking my time. I'll get their, injury free, if I listen to my body.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just started, too. I agree with marduffson that we need to focus on form early on, so that we build good habits rather than focusing on speed or distance.
  • marduffson
    marduffson Posts: 6
    Options
    oh..btw..the C25K has an awesome free podcast download. There is one on itunes and here is a link as well...http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm.

It helps me stay focused an not look at the clock so much.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    oh..btw..the C25K has an awesome free podcast download. There is one on itunes and here is a link as well...http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm.

It helps me stay focused an not look at the clock so much.

This is going on my phone right now. Thanks!!!!