No Cardio?

Options
ichorica
ichorica Posts: 475 Member
Okay I am sure this question has been asked multiple times. However to save others time in finding it within the threads I figure since I am new and I can't quite get my brain around what I THINK (hence the word) THINK I got from the book Ill go ahead and ask again. So to those that love answering questions.... cardio or no? I am a little lost as to what that is about? Anyone doing this program work out 5-6 days a week doing a combo of weight training and cardio? If so what type of cardio are you doing? Someone help a sista out with this! Let me just tell ya what I do...I work out usually 5-6 days a week doing Zumba for an hour (sometimes 4 times a week but I know I have to cut back) and Running for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I am working on putting my weight training days in there so something has to give. But kind of reading around on here and in the book I am under the impression (it may be totally wrong) that cardio is not needed and may even ....what word am I looking for...alter (? some kind of way I don't know) the weight training results? Is this mostly due to the fact that resting days is being affected? Thanks for any education that maybe forthcoming. I am still consulting the book for clarification but appreciate any tips/advice from others!

Replies

• kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I might be totally doing it wrong, but being a former cardio junkie, this is the only way I can survive.

I lift on Mon-Wed-Fri (occasionally AFTER lifting, I will use the treadmill or elliptical for about 15 min). It's all about the muscles on these days, no calorie burn to speak of. Cardio is performed Tue-Thu-Sat. I do whatever strikes my fancy. It's all about the calories on these days nothing to do with muscles. Sunday is my rest day. Needless to say, I am flexible and don't beat myself up if the week doesn't go as planned. Tomorrow is always another day.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I alternate days too. I only started a month ago, but I've lifted 2-3x/week, trying for M-W-F, but making adjustments as needed, and never lifting 2 days in a row, and usually with a 10-30 minute light cardio warmup.

On my non-lifting days, I do an hour of moderate cardio (usually treadmill or elliptical, sometimes a walk outside). And on Wednesday nights, I take a 1 hour dance class (tap & jazz).

If I end up doing dance class and a workout on Wednesday, I'm trying to be especially careful to eat back my exercise calories those days, and try really hard for 30% protein.

I also try to take at least one FULL rest day weekly with no workout at all.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    During Stage 1, I did no cardio. Stage 2 has HIIT incorporated, but I also started running again. Nothing taxing, 2-3 miles on non-workout days, along with some cycling.

My problem is figuring out my calories and what I should and shouldn't be eating back.:ohwell:
  • kel7298
    Options
    My problem is figuring out my calories and what I should and shouldn't be eating back.:ohwell:

I did what the book suggested (no more than a 300 calorie deficit) and set my calories to 1500. I don't worry about eating them back or not.
  • Phoenix59
    Options

I did what the book suggested (no more than a 300 calorie deficit) and set my calories to 1500. I don't worry about eating them back or not.

A few days ago, I recalculated and found that I should be eating 1729 calories on active workout days. I've had my MFP calories set at 1600 for the past 2-3 weeks and finding that I generally eat between 1300 and 1550. I have not lost a single pound (other than the 2-3 pounds gained initially), but have lost some in inches. I don't know whether I need to increase my calories, eat back cardio calories, or just suck it up and keep going. For the time being, I'm just going to make sure I don't go below my 1235 BMR and, if I do, just eat up to it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Ichorica. :embarassed:
  • kel7298
    Options
  • Phoenix59
    Options

Wow! This gives you every possible number! Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Time to readjust my numbers! :wink:
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Sweet! I only made spreadsheets through Stage 3 so this rocks!
  • kel7298
    Options
    Your both welcome... here is one just for logging workouts

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8OgAuIMlsG-bUNJVGJJaXhvVFE
  • mom2kea
    mom2kea Posts: 33
    Options

This is soooooo depressing. :cry:

According to this, in order to lose weight I would have to be at 1335 on non-workout days, and only around 1650 on workout days. I'm afraid I would be STARVING on that little calories. it is the exact opposite of what Fat2Fit said for me, which was to eat more. I fear I will never be able to enjoy life again. And by life I mean wine.
  • kel7298
    Options
    Sounds like you need to add a cheat day into your routine. Be good 6 days, cheat 1!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

It works really well and I am eating very well. I chose lightly active, since I am over 35, and chosen build muscle and lose fat.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this. I was going to make one of these myself, but this saves me all that work!
  • aemoomoo
    aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options

How do you edit this to put in your own numbers? I went to the link but I can't edit any of the information.
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

How do you edit this to put in your own numbers? I went to the link but I can't edit any of the information.

I am having the same problem as well I am unable to edit the data
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Go to File, then Export to Google Spreadsheet. Should open up a new spreadsheet you can save to your computer and enter your own information.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

You are awesome! Thank you!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

This is soooooo depressing. :cry:

According to this, in order to lose weight I would have to be at 1335 on non-workout days, and only around 1650 on workout days. I'm afraid I would be STARVING on that little calories. it is the exact opposite of what Fat2Fit said for me, which was to eat more. I fear I will never be able to enjoy life again. And by life I mean wine.

Lol! Actually, this is slightly more than what I am eating now- I'm set to about 500 cal/day deficit. I actually find it MUCH harder to stay under the limit on my non-workout days. Maybe because I work out at night? And I really miss wine...