How I wrecked my metabolism.

Options
EllaScarlet
EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
I have been looking through a lot of the threads on here and learning a lot, and thought I would share my somewhat extreme experiences of how you can mess with your metabolism.

I'll start with when I totally ruined my metabolism by becoming anorexic. Obviously it is a long story - but this isn't the ED recovery group, and all I will say here is that gradually I had to eat less and less to maintain my very unhealthy weight. However, being a tall girl (5'9") with a naturally fast metabolism, I never actually ate much less than 1000 calories. (It makes me crazy to see people on the forums talking about the 1200 diet now....)

Anyway, eventually I managed to get a little bit better and decided to escape my past by getting a job on a sailboat. There were 12 of us full time crew on board and I ate the same meals as the rest of them, all the while working a hard physical job. I would guess I ate around 2000 - 2,500 calories a day. Yes, a lot of food, but a lot of activity too.

What happened to my body shocked me. I went from around 120lbs to 155lbs in three months. WHAT??!!! I had no idea what was happening to me. I was scared and appalled. However, despite my out of control weight gain, I had energy for the first time in years, and I could not go back to the hell of anorexia, even though I was miserable about the weight gain.

Since then I have realised that my body was reacting to the refeeding after an extended period of starvation. I had messed my metabolism up to the extent that when I ate properly again, my body held on to every bit of nutrition for all it was worth, and I piled on the pounds.

Since then I have worked on finally becoming healthy again. It has not been easy to restore my metabolism to how it was before the whole anorexia mess - but now I think I am there. Now I eat over 2000 calories pretty much every day, and I have shed the extra pounds, slowly but surely, going from 155lbs to 140lbs - a healthy and happy weight for me. Finally I can eat a healthy amount of food and not be scared that I will gain weight. There is no way I could ever face going back to a low calorie diet - the thought of it actually terrifies me. The lack of energy, depression, lethargy.... it is just not worth it.

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing story. Thank you so much for being brave enough to tell it. Good for you! You are an inspiration!
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow...thank you so much for sharing Ella... I wish many more would listen and learn from you.
    Its sad that so many people starve because they are just afraid to believe.
    Well done to you for being so healthy and happy now!! :happy:
  • EllaScarlet
    Options
    Thanks :) I just wanted to try to explain that ANYONE can rebuild their metabolism - sometimes it might take a while, but it is always worth it!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I just wanted to try to explain that ANYONE can rebuild their metabolism - sometimes it might take a while, but it is always worth it!

Thank you for sharing! Very inspiring.

And I agree, it might take a while but it will be worth it.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Very inspiring!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! One of the things that is hard for me to deal with is that this could take me months (not weeks like many people) before I start to see a significant loss. Every week that passes without a loss (or with further gain) makes me think I must have my numbers wrong...I must be 'Failing at EM!' Hearing other stories of longer resets help me relax a bit in knowing that I just have to be patient...I am not failing at EM, I just might have a longer road ahead of me and a little extra tweaking to do as I go.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! One of the things that is hard for me to deal with is that this could take me months (not weeks like many people) before I start to see a significant loss. Every week that passes without a loss (or with further gain) makes me think I must have my numbers wrong...I must be 'Failing at EM!' Hearing other stories of longer resets help me relax a bit in knowing that I just have to be patient...I am not failing at EM, I just might have a longer road ahead of me and a little extra tweaking to do as I go.

Love this and you are so right. The road ahead may be longer for some of us, but we will get there!

I too have struggled with ED, and so I totally get everything you're talking about. Thanks so much for sharing!!
  • EllaScarlet
    Options

That is exactly why I shared this story. Sometimes I wanted to give up, and go back to restricting, because I was sick of feeling overweight and out of control. But I am SO glad that I didn't :)
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    thanks for sharing! I used to be 330lbs and it is HARD for me to eat that much because I'm so SCARED of going back to 330lbs. I have been under eating for long time but with splurges in between. I pray this is the answer to my new healthy lifestyle. i will continue to live this way because I'm feeling much better. It is only 1.5 weeks, but I'm ready to rock this journey! thanks for sharing girl!