TDEE calculations and daily calorie goal ...

Options
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a question about calculating TDEE and daily calorie goal.

Should I be eating TDEE - 15% of my current weight? Or eat the TDEE calculated to maintain my GOAL weight?

I'm 5'3", female
Currently 128 pounds.
Goal weight = 115

Calculations using my current weight & 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise:
BMR: 1360
TDEE: 1870
15% fat loss: 1590

Using goal weight & 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise:
BMR: 1304
TDEE: 1793
15% fat loss: 1524

So how many calories should I be eating?

Also, my current activity level is on the low side for me. I sit at a desk for work. Although I do housework, walk the dog, walk my older daughter to and from school (but it's almost Summer and that will be ending). I USED to do a lot cardio and 2 hours of bootcamp strength training weekly. However, I went on a 3 week vacation and was thrown out of my routine. After getting home, I seemed overwhelmed by the exercise in addition to caring for my children, husband, house, and working through a medical transcription program online. I do have plans to begin strength training 3x weekly again and adding back a little bit of cardio (mainly stationary bike since I have one in the house).

Any help would be appreciated! I do not know why I'm having such a difficult time wrapping my head around this concept.

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a question about calculating TDEE and daily calorie goal.

Should I be eating TDEE - 15% of my current weight? Or eat the TDEE calculated to maintain my GOAL weight?

I'm 5'3", female
    Currently 128 pounds.
    Goal weight = 115

Calculations using my current weight & 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise:
    BMR: 1360
    TDEE: 1870
    15% fat loss: 1590

Using goal weight & 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise:
    BMR: 1304
    TDEE: 1793
    15% fat loss: 1524

So how many calories should I be eating?

Also, my current activity level is on the low side for me. I sit at a desk for work. Although I do housework, walk the dog, walk my older daughter to and from school (but it's almost Summer and that will be ending). I USED to do a lot cardio and 2 hours of bootcamp strength training weekly. However, I went on a 3 week vacation and was thrown out of my routine. After getting home, I seemed overwhelmed by the exercise in addition to caring for my children, husband, house, and working through a medical transcription program online. I do have plans to begin strength training 3x weekly again and adding back a little bit of cardio (mainly stationary bike since I have one in the house).

Any help would be appreciated! I do not know why I'm having such a difficult time wrapping my head around this concept.

This is the calculator that I use and when I lose 10 lbs or 10 inches I will re-check it.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I forgot to add that I go to fat2fitradio.com to get my BF%. I use the military BF% calculator and then I go to the above website and enter in all my info. In step #8 I select Katch-McArdle and then enter in my BF% (Body fat) in step #8A. I then eat the calories listed in the chart that says "Daily calories based on goal in step 6".
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm going to eat 1590 and begin my strength training x3 and some light cardio again. I have to admit that I'm nervous, but excited, to eat that much on a daily basis ... LOL
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    ... And after looking at it, even eating 1600 calories daily, I'd still be creating a small deficit from the estimated TDEE for my goal weight. Yay!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    ... And after looking at it, even eating 1600 calories daily, I'd still be creating a small deficit from the estimated TDEE for my goal weight. Yay!

Once you get your workout routine back I would move up to the moderately active level. Other than that good luck and enjoy the freedom.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options

Once you get your workout routine back I would move up to the moderately active level. Other than that good luck and enjoy the freedom.

Thank you!

So .... I went in to check what my numbers would be if I moved up to moderately active. I think I miscalculated the first time?! GAH! lol Going to redo all of my numbers to double check everything ...
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    Not sure what I did wrong the first time around but ...

At my current weight of 128 pounds, to increase my activity to moderately active:
    My BMR: 1420
    TDEE: 2201
    15% reduction: 1871

To maintain my goal weight of 115:
    BMR: 1361
    TDEE: 2110

That definitely seems to good to be true (after limiting myself to 1300-1400 for quite some time)! Would 3 (30-minute) strength training sessions and 3 light cardio sessions on the stationary bike weekly really be considered moderate? I guess I have to consider how much "incidental" exercise I get by doing housework, grocery shopping, gardening, walking the dog, etc.

Still .... this scares me!! EEK. Off to find some success stories to hopefully calm my nerves ...
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Not sure what I did wrong the first time around but ...

At my current weight of 128 pounds, to increase my activity to moderately active:
    My BMR: 1420
    TDEE: 2201
    15% reduction: 1871

To maintain my goal weight of 115:
    BMR: 1361
    TDEE: 2110

That definitely seems to good to be true (after limiting myself to 1300-1400 for quite some time)! Would 3 (30-minute) strength training sessions and 3 light cardio sessions on the stationary bike weekly really be considered moderate? I guess I have to consider how much "incidental" exercise I get by doing housework, grocery shopping, gardening, walking the dog, etc.

Still .... this scares me!! EEK. Off to find some success stories to hopefully calm my nerves ...

I eat between 1800-1900 and only work out 4 days a week 3 hard lifting days and one cardio day. But yes you are right you have to consider the non-exercise activity you do daily as well.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    My strength training days will be a combination of using my hubby's Bowflex (following one of the routines in the manual until I maybe get brave and venture off into some more variation) and doing the 4 primal blueprint basic movements (pushups, pullups, squats, and planks). I hope this is enough to be considered moderately active. *fingers crossed*

Thanks again for your input!