Standard Trek Poles vs 'Anti-shock'

Options
L00py_T0ucan
L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
I don't usually to carry a lot of gear, but I am nursing a knee injury and realized that maybe I should think about getting trek poles to help me on steep downhill slopes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 'anti-shock' features vs. standard?
(I would be using these primarily for day hikes, not for a long expedition like the AT or anything.)

Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    Options
    bump :embarassed:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i think they have a lil spring in them .... hence anti shock .....
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've got terrible knees, so i really do appreciate having poles with me when i hike. I wouldn't want to hike again without them now that i carry them :) I had a single pole for a while, then invested in a new pair (of 2). My newer poles are anti-shock... i like the feature and would choose to have it again, but its not on the top of my list of what i'd look for in a new set. The #1 priority would be the grips... comfortable, non-sweaty feel to them w a good wrist strap. Also, i would want to be sure to read reviews on any set i was considering because i've heard of some poles that are prone to sudden collapse (dont stay extended to proper height/stay tightened at that height) and also i've heard of poles that are constantly losing their tungsten tip. That would be a total P.I.T.A. to deal with out on the trail! :grumble:
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My poles are not anti-shock and I love them. My priority was getting ones that were lightweight and that collapsed to a small size because I use them for running as well as backpacking and I didn't want to carry anything heavy or bulky if I ended up strapping them on to my pack. The "flick lock" type of closure is really stable and won't generally collapse but they make the poles heavier.

In the world of poles, you get what you pay for. If you aren't sure about using them, start with a cheaper pair. But if you end up loving them, think about investing in a nice pair. Black Diamond makes some really, really nice poles.

I use Helinox poles: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pole/RidgelineTwistLock

But I've seen these and they are pretty sweet: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/ultra-distance-trekking-pole
  • L00py_T0ucan
    Options
    Thanks, all, for your input and tips on what features to look for.

I had considered handle material and weight, but had not thought much about 'sudden collapse' or about the type of locking mechanism.

Thanks again and happy hiking trails! :flowerforyou:
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Most anti shock are the twist lock which can collapse at times. Generally pretty easy to fix though.

Black Diamond has a pair of flick lock that also have anti-shock which I don't believe the Leki's do (although that could change)

Whenever I get new poles I will be getting the flick lock.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT get the ones from Walmart. They are garbage if you want something that you can rely on.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of REI trekking poles with the anti-shock feature. I love the poles, although I don't feel that the anti-shock feature is that big a deal. What I do like is that they are very light weight and very strong and that the grips are very comfortable. On REI's web site there is an article about choosing poles that I found very helpful: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/trekking+poles+hiking+staffs.html
  • lbowd2
    lbowd2 Posts: 12
    Options
    For years I thouight 'pole users' were just wimps...but then I used a couple of anti-shock poles when i did the Annapurna Circuit and have become an absolute convert. Love em. I only tend to use one pole, but it sure helps for balance, especially on rough, wet, muddy or icy hikes. I use some quality Leki poles (light alloy...I found that the carbon fibre ones are also great but if you aren't careful you can snap them. With the alloy poles, if you bend them, then you can just bend them back into shape again and keep going.). Hope that helps. Oh, almost fogot. I'm doing the Thorsborne Trail on Hinchinbrook Island (North Queensland/Australia) in a few weeks and there are some creek crossing that can contain large saltwater crocs. Maybe the poles might come in handy...I could push my hiking companion towards the croc whilst I ran for the shore.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    Options
    Oh, almost fogot. I'm doing the Thorsborne Trail on Hinchinbrook Island (North Queensland/Australia) in a few weeks and there are some creek crossing that can contain large saltwater crocs. Maybe the poles might come in handy...I could push my hiking companion towards the croc whilst I ran for the shore.

Um...CROCS (the animal! not the shoe!)...have fun! What a great trip! I'd be kind of scared, but like the mental ease of having long sticks to poke things with! :laugh:

You all are so much more hardcore than I...thanks for all the input!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    Options
    Do not, I repeat, do NOT get the ones from Walmart. They are garbage if you want something that you can rely on.

What brand were they? Is there a brand I should avoid? I believe you often get what you pay for, but sadly the coffers are rather empty and echo-ing these days! :embarassed:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The antishock would only help your elbows and wrists, not your knees.

I only day hike as well and my knees suck.

I don't know your issue, but my DR recommends Advil 1 hour before and ice afterwards.

Enjoy.