Welcome

Options
Hi all. I have started this group for those of us in the Navy that need help. I have lots to talk about and I believe that if you have searched this far, why not go further. I would love to have this group have lots of members. Hope that you have a sucessful fitness plan and look forward to more members!

Replies

• Freedom_Frog
    Options
    Hey, wouldn't mine joining your group. Ive been in the navy for 6 years and I'm the heaviest I've been since 2005. I now weigh 235 lbs and for my height/weight standard is 186. Looking to inprove myself. I have one PFA failure which was 2 cycles ago and was close last cycle. I need to make a serious change if I plan to make this a career.
  • freels73
    freels73 Posts: 15
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have to lose so much weight just to be in the Navy's standards. I am 6'4" and was a linemen in JR and HS. I played some when I was stationed in Japan too. I have always been a big guy. I hate that I have to do some kinda extreme actions to just make it. I have 2 in 4 years and I am at 17+ years in the Navy. I am doing eveything that I can to lose it. This program is great for me as I can scan things and it will make it easy for me to keep track of what I eat and drink. Good luck!!!
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You guys aren't the only ones who struggle with weight. I have always been borderline before boot camp (I've only been in a 15mon) and for the first time I have the potential to fail just based on my weight. I can kick *kitten* on everything else (bike/situps/pushups) but I have difficulty with losing weight.
  • ctiginger09
    ctiginger09 Posts: 13
    Options
    It's been stressful for me with the whole joining process. My body fat is right near the border on being able to join so I always get nervous when I get taped. Not to mention that the height chart at my MEPS is wrong and they always measure me an inch shorter than I am! But I have all the time in the world now, as long as my date doesn't get pushed up, to lose the weight I need to.
  • freels73
    Options
    It will get easier if you just keep to your diet and exercise. I am doing all that I can to stay in the last 2+ years that I have till I retire. Just find a reason. I have 2 failures and over 17 years and I just made first and haven't done my PRT so I didn't get frocked yet until I get measured and do it. That is motivation enough!!!! Good luck to you all and I hope that following this and using the resources that are out there, i.e. base gym and a GOOD CFL.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to reply and let everyone know that I lost enough weight to not fail my PRT which means in a couple of weeks, I will be frocked!!!
  • freels73
    Options
    Great Job!!! I am wating too... I have my weigh-in in 2 weeks. Once I pass that and do the PRT, I will get frocked too!!! Wish me luck!! I was only 1/2 inch off last time and have been trying my *kitten* off!!!
  • Freedom_Frog
    Options
    It will get easier if you just keep to your diet and exercise. I am doing all that I can to stay in the last 2+ years that I have till I retire. Just find a reason. I have 2 failures and over 17 years and I just made first and haven't done my PRT so I didn't get frocked yet until I get measured and do it. That is motivation enough!!!! Good luck to you all and I hope that following this and using the resources that are out there, i.e. base gym and a GOOD CFL.

Question. How did you just get 1st at 17 years? As a Second class you should have been removed from the navy at your 14 year mark.
  • Troibis
    Options
    Hello! I just wanted to chime in here. The PFT stresses me out. I have always been a little heavy-set and gain weight quickly if I am not careful. I started MFP a few months ago and am now in an acceptable weight range, but I still have a long way to go before I hit my ideal BMI.

Just a quick aside, I am one year out from graduating medical school, so if anyone has any health-related questions for weight loss I am here for you. Always happy to help a fellow sailor.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a former USNR Corpsman and I joined MFP to try to lose some weight I picked up with age. I'm always looking for additional folks to help me in my weight loss quest.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Wall of text.