The Countdown Begins

Options
Hey Everyone... I just got the call from my doctor's office that my RNY will be scheduled for June 19th. At this point I'm very excited, not too nervous yet. After 6 months of weigh-ins/dieting and years of struggling with my weight it's finally starting to settle in that this is real...I'm going to have the tool to help me lead a healthy life.

I've been following all of your posts trying to absorb as much information/tips/pointers as I can...I know that everyone reacts differently, but I'm trying to prepare myself as best as possible. So, if anyone has any suggestions, encouraging words, etc. bring them on!

Replies

• Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My only advice is go, right now, and give your scale to a good friend or put it somewhere you won't see it for the next six months. Don't even keep it in your house. Only weigh when you see your Dr. for follow-ups.

A word of warning, just about everybody wonders what they did to themselves sometime in the first few weeks after surgery.. there will be pain and/or discomfort. I had to sleep sitting up for the longest time. I couldn't stand up straight because of my JP Drain (you may or may not have one, each surgeon is different).. but then one day, it was like somebody flicked on a light switch. The drain came out, I could stand up straight again, I could lay flat to sleep.. and most of my pain disappeared. Then I had pain amnesia.. and as bad as I felt before then, it's like I forgot.. because I felt so much better.

So listen to your body -- don't be afraid to call your on-call doctor if you have a pain you're concerned about.. but trust me when I say that it WILL get better... and once it does.. it will KEEP getting better!!

Oh yeah.. and watch out for hormonal swings :) Fat cells store more than nutrients.. also all the hormones we use daily, too.. so you might be a little bit of a whack-job for a while.. lol

Stef
  • J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    Haha thanks for the heads up on the mood swings...I had no clue... I guess I should give everyone a warning now. How long was your drain in for? My surgeon never mentioned one...but I haven't had my pre-surgery meeting yet, so that doesn't mean I won't have one.

You look like you have been so successful, I'm hoping one day I can say the same! Thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it :)
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My drain was in for 10 days post-op.. it was removed at my first follow-up visit (and man was THAT a weird sensation!).. It was strange having something foreign that went from the inside of me to the outside of me.. kinda gross too.. but I was on short term disability for 6wks to have my surgery and recover so nobody really had to see me with it..

If your doctor offers/recommends support group meetings, take advantage of them. It's so great to have that, especially for the first few weeks/months post-op. There will be SO many questions and often it's good to have the input from people who have had your same surgeon.

I also tell people to keep a journal -- talk about whatever is going on in your head or whatever is bothering you .. it will help you work through head-hunger and identify reasons why you are drawn to eat when you really need something else.

And don't worry about getting scared.. because you will.. and it's okay. We all did (and sometimes still do).. this choice is life altering. You're basically re-piping yourself.. it's a lot to consider but in the long run, I don't think you'll regret it.

Stef
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008. I did not have any drains. Some doctors do not use them. Best wishes for a smooth recovery!!
  • kfink426
    kfink426 Posts: 16
    Options
    The best suggestion I can give is 12 hours after your surgery, remember to walk around, and keep walking around every few hours. They pump your stomach cavity full of air to see and move around, and the only way to get rid of that gas is to move around so your body gets rid of it. If not - it can be very painful.

Another suggestion - if you get a fever your first night home like I did, do not take children's liquid tylonol as they suggest. Going through dumping my first night home was a horrible experience.

Don't get discouraged if you plateau at times with weight loss. It happens, but it'll start coming off again. It takes time. I suggest hiding your scale, and only weighing yourself once a week at most.

Remember to drink all your protein shakes in the first few weeks, and when you can eat solid food finally - you won't want another shake for a year, LOL.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm now 4 days post surgery and doing well. I logged my pre-surgery liver shrinking diet daily in a thread called countdown begins today. My husband tells me that on day one when I got into the room and was awake enough I said "what the hell have I done" but really that was the post surgery pain talking. I'm eating food with a yogurt texture now and looking forward to adding a cream of broccoli soup tonight. I haven't had any trouble (knock on wood) with swallowing or holding anything down. so far I think this is the best thing I could have done to get the results I needed and wanted. I hope you have a great surgery and will be looking forward to reading your threads as you join us on the journey to a healthier body.
  • J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your suggestions and support.

Kfink426, thanks for the heads up on the Tylenol...I would have never have thought of that!

Minkakross, I actually read your liquid thread...and to be honest it intimidated me, haha! I start my liquid diet on the 12th of June...so right now I'm just enjoying chewing. I'm glad to hear you're doing well these first few days post-op, I'm hoping I will be able to say the same!