Plateau frustration... time to eat more?

Options
cohenandlani
cohenandlani Posts: 14 Member
Im hoping you can help.

Im suffering a major plateau and Im so close to my goal it is getting extremely frustrating. Ive been here before though and put all my weight back on so Im really worried that if I cant get through this plateau I’ll just end up bouncing back up again.

Post kids I lost 10kgs in 2007 and the weight steadily crept back on and more. This time I have been fully committed and Im at a loss as to what to do.

My stats are:
(sorry Im in Australia and work in metric so I’ve had to google the weights so I hope they are correct, as I notice most of you are in the US and you pounds!)

Height 159cm or 5ft 3

Start 7/1/12

Weight 74.4 kg or 163 lbs
Neck 34cm or 13.4 in
Waist 89cm or 35 in
Hips 102cm or 40.2 in
Body fat 33.1%

Now 19/5/12

Weight 66.8kg or 146 lbs
Neck 33cm or 13 in
Waist 80cm or 31.5 in
Hips 92cm or 36.2 in
Body fast 29.6 %

BMR 1496
TDEE 2320

So... where should my calorie goal be?????

I have lost most of my weight eating at or under 1200 and not really eating my exercise calories back. I go under 1200 calories easily and to be honest find it really hard to eat above that. However Ive been doing a lot of reading and think that Im not eating enough. So for the past week I have been making a concerted effort to eat more. Im also wondering if maybe my body is getting used to what foods Im eating as I have started to tend to stick to the same thing. Ive been pretty strict with my food and measurements.

I also have a lot of problems eating throughout the day ie: I pretty much eat just 3 meals a day, as I find it hard to snack throughout the day. I need some snack ideas I think?

My exercise is normally an hours cardio twice a week (at least) and 90 mins of hot yoga twice a week. Some weeks more some weeks less.

Im frustrated as I know I have more cms and kilos to lose but a friend said to me the other day perhaps this is where my body wants to sit and maybe I shouldn’t fight it? Felt like slapping her skinny butt!

But seriously, has anyone else found this?

Im 38 and have 2 kids and am starting to feel that maybe this is just it for me???

I want to do this right and so Im happy to take it slow but 8kgs in 5 months is just painstaking! Any tips would be appreciated.

Rochelle xxx

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2320, and you're pretty sure that's accurate, eat between 1850 and 1900 calories every day. Don't add any exercise to that. That will give you a ~500 calorie deficit (between 15 and 20% of TDEE) and you should still be able to lose while revving up your metabolism. You may see a small gain (up to 5 lbs or so) as you replenish your energy stores (glycogen and water) by removing the extreme deficit. It will eventually come back off as fat burn once your body believes you that you're not going to starve it any longer.

To eat all those calories, don't do diet foods at all. Go full fat if you have to... no artificial sweeteners, good protein, nuts, healthy oils... no packages.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your tdee is correct. Seems a little high to me. For that amount of exercise you are in the Moderate activity bracket. My stats are about the same as yours and my tdee before a cut is just over 2100 with moderate setting.
  • cohenandlani
    Options
    2320 was what the Scooby website calculated? But even if I lowered it to 2100 Im still struggling less the 30% ie: 1600-1850 a day?

I have upped my diary to suggest 1850 a day and now Im sitting here at dinner time trying to think of high calorie dinners as I've got 1000 cals to spend? that is just messing with my head!
  • cohenandlani
    Options
    Actually I've just redone my calculations and realised my TDEE was based on what my starting weight was

Scoobynet says

BMR 1405
    TDEE 2178
    Daily Calories 1850

Thanks Tigermad for making me re-look at it..
  • hill_dilley
    hill_dilley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great point!

How often should you calculate your TDEE?

Liz
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Great point!

How often should you calculate your TDEE?

Liz

Recalc anytime youve lost 5 or more pounds.
  • hill_dilley
    hill_dilley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Actually I've just redone my calculations and realised my TDEE was based on what my starting weight was

Scoobynet says

BMR 1405
    TDEE 2178
    Daily Calories 1850

Thanks Tigermad for making me re-look at it..

No probs. happy to help