Stupid question: potatoes?

Options
impyimpyaj
impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
Is there anything "wrong" with potatoes from a primal/paleo standpoint? I ask because I don't have the book, and I'm learning that some things I thought were paleo actually aren't, like peanuts and corn. (I forgot that corn was a grain, since it's marketed as a veggie.) So since the rest of the world seems to think potatoes are evil, I'm just wondering what paleo folks think of them. Because I like potatoes.

Replies

• rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think only sweet potatoes are. Not sure though so hopefully someone else will chime in. I don't really care about potatoes so I haven't bothered to find out. But I do know you can make mashed "potatoes" with califlower. :)
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Russets should be kept to a minimum especially if trying to lose weight. They are packed with lots of starch and sugars. Sweet potatoes are fine so long as you are cooking them nicely.

I made a potato salad out of Jicama, was pretty interesting. I have tried the cauliflower mashed 3x and failed every time, it is a fine line between crunchy and mush. Takes talent and perfect timing ;)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've read that white potatoes can be problematic for peopel with autoimmune disorders (along with a few other veg) For anyone else stay away if you are trying to lose weight. I still eat them occasionally but choose sweet when I can.

Sweet potatoes are great
  • sapalee
    Options
    And not a stupid question!
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for being confused, I've read so many conflicting websites that list what is ok and what is not. On some, sweet potatoes are definitely out, as is bacon (which we've already determined we're not giving up). I personally love sweet potatoes and would hate to lose them since they can be fast, easy, as well as delicious and filling. White potatoes seem to be out no matter what site I look at though. Now how about mayonnaise? Is that ok to eat? And canola oil? What the heck is it made out of anyway?
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    What about from an inflammation standpoint? I don't really care about weight loss. I just switched to paleo so I could stop hurting. Will potatoes interfere with that?
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Ok so no white potatoes. I don't really understand why though. They're out of the ground, and so full of potassium. Is it because of the carbs?
  • sapalee
    Options
    It's not the carbs, I don't have Robb's book with me, I'll try to to remember to look it up tonight. It's something to do with the nightshade vegetables and autoimmune diseases like arthritis. Here's a little blurb about it. Looks like it's just a matter of finding out if you're sensitive or not. Maybe eliminate for a month and then reintroduce to see?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62
  • sapalee
    Options
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    I don't think white potatoes have an inflammatory impact (don't recall that ever being the issue) - it is primarily around the insulin response and the starchiness. Wheat and legumes also come from the ground so that isn't a great metric.

And recognize paleo doesn't HAVE to be a strict yes/no for every food item. Even strict paleo has grey areas. The individuals most prominent at using the term in their books don't all agree on every item.

One of my favorite references is the info-graphic done by bulletproof executive (google that and you will find him).
    Although he is trying to sell some stuff - he does a good job of defining a continuum of paleo food items.
    You can "draw the line" wherever you want. Its a collection of choices.
    I for one include bacon many times a week. The only thing non-paleo about it is that it is pretty fatty and can have omega 6's. I do NOT buy packaged bacon.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Oh yes, and the nightshade thing ;)
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    No, I know that there are gray areas. I'm just trying to figure out where the gray areas are, and why they are there so I can figure out what I need to do for my best health. Thanks for the info! When we get back from visiting family out of state in a couple of weeks, I'm going to see if our library has any books. Probably not. They don't have anything. :laugh:
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    it often depends on the individual. Some people can tolerate foods others can't. Anyway, perhaps try eliminating potatoes for 30 days and see how you feel. Then add them back in and see how you feel.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes can be troublesome for those with FODMAP issues as they are high in fructans. If you don't have autoimmune, weight, or digestion issues to worry about, then white potatoes can be an ok food. Supposedly red potatoes are less starchy than russet brown potatoes, so perhaps try those instead.
  • LivingFitNC
    LivingFitNC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From a sheer nutrient standpoint white potatoes are pretty much dunces and even worse if you have a preexisting autoimmune disorder ( as it is a nightshade). Sweet potatoes, if you are into starches, are fantastic and more delicious IMO with higher nutrient density. As someone else mentioned, the fructose in sweet potatoes can bother some and impede fat loss in many.

Someone had inquired about mayo a few posts up- ideally, make your own mayo using light olive oil, coconut oil, red palm oil, or even bacon drippings if you have some handy. If you are strapped and/or uneasy about using a food processor for mayo then go for one with expeller-pressed canola oil and cafe-free eggs such as Spectrum.
  • newsace
    newsace Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson gives 'em a mixed review: they're a natural, whole food, and may be OK for some people, but not for others, depending on your body and/or your goals.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/paleo-potatoes/#axzz1vL4RecDH
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/potatoes-healthy/#axzz1vL4RecDH
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, the problem with potatoes are that they provide starch (carbs) and not much else, and eating primal/paleo is all about the insulin. While other roots like sweet potatoes get a more favored response, it's because they provide a good nutritional input despite the carbs. Personally, I avoid sweet potatoes as well, except thanksgiving (when family's here) because it provides a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes.

My personal mantra is: Whole foods, organically grown - and simply prepared.

Going along with that, one can basically figure out how paleo a food is by how edible it is raw. We were hunter/gatherers way before we discovered how to cook, and for the longest time cooking was simply searing flesh or putting plants in the hot coals. Nearly all complicated processes to make something edible developed after agriculture was discovered. When looked at in this light, a yam cooked on coals would be edible - but I daresay the potato isn't unless you slather it with butter, sour cream and chives.

Now, obviously everything that winds up in a salad can be eaten raw - but what about other foods? In the root area, carrots, radishes, beets, turnips can all be eaten raw - but I don't see anyone eating yams or potatoes raw. While that shouldn't be an automatic disqualifier, when you consider that grains and legumes cannot be eaten unless they are leeched, processed and cooked - it should make you look twice (and eat less, in my opinion).