Artificial Sweetners

Options
chickenpoppa
chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
Hey!!!

Im looking at getting some sort of artificial sweetner. Any advice on what ones you use and that are available in Australia??? I just bought the Hungry Girl books and they use artifical sweetners and was wondering on what ones to use.

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't cooked, baked or used actual sugar intentionally in maybe 8 or so years.... Maybe more now that I think about it...

I bake with Equal baking. Find it tastes great, mixes well etc. I vary between equal and Splenda for my coffee / tea too.

I might also die of cancer, I'm aware of the supposed chemicals etc lol before anyone jumps in and tells me!
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi you ;)
    Well i couldn't live without artificial sweeteners but always in the back of my mind is the negative press about them, none of which is proven mind you. But nevertheless it worries me. I saw something in the press about Stevia which is a natural sweetener. It is available in the same way that you would buy Equal etc. but not sure if it comes in bulk pour packs for cooking. Well apparently it is the next "big thing" and the world, including Australia. is busily planting crops to cope with the demand. I have tried it in the past and did'nt like it as much as Equal etc. but then I bought a pack of sachets the other day and they taste great. They are naturally derived from the root of the Stevia plant (I think) I will have to do a bit more research into this, as I'm sure you will.
    Shell
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't cooked, baked or used actual sugar intentionally in maybe 8 or so years.... Maybe more now that I think about it...

I bake with Equal baking. Find it tastes great, mixes well etc. I vary between equal and Splenda for my coffee / tea too.

I might also die of cancer, I'm aware of the supposed chemicals etc lol before anyone jumps in and tells me!

I'm the same as Brooke. I use the Equal for Baking and I have used the Splenda for Baking too which is fine.
    I'm using Hermesetas minis at the moment in tea and coffee.

I saw something in the press about Stevia which is a natural sweetener.

I tried the Stevia but didn't like it either.

All the cancer warnings are a worry but in our world there are health risks everywhere you turn so I make the most suitable and informed choices for myself.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't have sugar or its equivalent in anything but baking. And I only use caster sugar, etc when I'm baking for other people.

I use nativa which is derived from stevia for anything I'm having.

It's great for baking & can be bought at Coles or Woolies. Pure stevia is slightly more expensive and I haven't used that as i am happy with the nativa.

Research on stevia is still limited and it's not recommended for kids etc but honestly kids shouldn't be having equal either or sugar really (hahahaha)....
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use Hermesetas for drinks (including lemonade I make). I use real sugar in baking though. I'm ok with that, coz I don't bake often.

I've tried the Stevia stuff and don't much like it. Today was Sweet and Low in a coffee - that wasn't too bad.

When I'm out I always take a few extra fake sugars from places for 'just in case' and keep them in my purse. Though I did use something in the MFP cookies that turned out ok. Could have been the Stevia? it was a green packet anyway.
  • xButterflyEffectx
    xButterflyEffectx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use natvia tablets in my coffee and it's fine. Not too sweet and no horrible after taste.
  • chickenpoppa
    Options
    I use natvia tablets in my coffee and it's fine. Not too sweet and no horrible after taste.

Thanks:-) i actually bought natvia satchets on monday and used it in my oats for breakfast. Its was mixed with cinnamon and vanilla so not sure what it actually tasted like but will try the natvia by itself soon:-)
  • chickenpoppa
    Options
    Thanks everyone else for your advice. Will see how the natvia goes:-)
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use Nativa as well. I actually use 1/2 the amount as its so sweet! For coffee and tea for example I only have 1/2 tsp rather than 1 tsp with raw sugar.
  • Soni82
    Soni82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use nativia (stevia) as well for cooking, it does have an after taste but in cooking it seems to disappear!

I also like xylitol which is also a natural sweetner but no cals etc but it tastes mych better than stevia - no bitterness.

And sometimes I might use maple syrup or honey or unsweetened apple sauce to sweeten stewed fruits, cakes or when im making nut bars for its sticky consistancy - but this does add calories, however it is a natural sweener.