How long before the weight starts coming off?

Options
Hi =), I was wondering how long it took of eating more calories before the weight started coming off? I upped my cal intake from 1200 to about 1580, this is a 15% decrease from my TDEE...However, in the past 2 weeks I've gained weight rather than losing it! I also have added in light weigth training, and I run about 2-3 times a week.

Replies

• ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've just increased as well and I've seen a gain. I pray it's not the trend for very long!
  • curiousheathy
    curiousheathy Posts: 108
    Options
    I am new so for me personally, I haven't seen any weight yet. From reading other stories posted by people in the group, it would appear that it varies from person to person and it is really hard to pin point when and if weight will come off!

I too am a little anxious to see pounds shed, but for now I abandoned the scale for a few months. Everyone is this group has stressed that looking at measurements/ progress pictures/ and how your clothes fit is the best way to measure success!

I think the most important thing to remember is that a number doesn't define how fit you are! It is a new concept I am trying to adapt in my own life. But I'll say it like this, I'd rather gain 10 lb and drop a size/ see my body getting fit than lose 10 lb and stay the same size.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck! From the sounds of it, it could take a few weeks to see the scale move in the opposite direction. Don't lose hope and keep pushing!

<3
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different.

I personally started losing right away but I have a lot to lose (40-50 lbs).

It seems a lot of people start losing again around the 4 week mark.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started losing inches almost immediately despite the scale showing a big +5. Now just past the five week mark, I am down 6 or so pounds, many inches and at least 2 pants sizes. I freaking love eating more.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different..
    My losses hit after about 6-8 weeks to have consistent losses down. Ive been trending down now for 5 weeks:)
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    I am nervous about this, too, but it clearly works for others, so stay confident and on course. I am up 6 or 7 pounds now in the last 3 weeks, but hopefully that will reverse soon. I have been lifting 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks along with a cardio plan I was given when I did the New Leaf Metabolic Testing. I am just pushing forward (albeit nervously), trusting that this is the right plan for long-term, healthy success.

I'm not sure at what point exactly I would bail, but so far, I still trust it.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The magic number is......

DRUMROLL PLEASE..............................

4-10 weeks. That's the range I've seen from everyone. I am at week 1.5 so sadly I'll need to wait. My changes are all visual for now and I'll be honest I am happy with how I am transforming and feel. I can push out more exercise and WANT to exercise. So it may take me a year to lose my 25lbs but I am absolutely 100% okay with that. The next 50+ years of my life are going to be dictated by my change in the next few months. So I am doing it right. :D

Cheers
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    4-10 weeks. Okay, that doesn't sound terrible in the big scheme of things. This community is wonderful, but I wish someone I knew were going through this as well that could work out with me.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I also just started this process. I am increasing my calories from 1300 to around 1700. I've been at 1300 calories or under for about a 1.5 yrs now, so I'm expecting the worst for the first month or two, but I know I can't live like this forever. I've come to realize that the extreme restrictions/ binge eating is terrible for my body, and want to make myself healthy again and hopefully get past this plateau I've been at for 7 months. Feel free to add me if you need a friend that's also making the change!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different.

I personally started losing right away but I have a lot to lose (40-50 lbs).

It seems a lot of people start losing again around the 4 week mark.

Oh good! I am almost 2 weeks in and was getting worried today because a pair of loose shorts were a little tighter. I keep telling myself to give it more time but I still have that old voice in me telling me to cut back some!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different..
    My losses hit after about 6-8 weeks to have consistent losses down. Ive been trending down now for 5 weeks:)

This is helpful to hear, too! Now I won't have the Its only me! syndrome. :wink:
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    7 weeks for me.

I started at 154.1lb I put on initially which came back down over a couple of weeks, then maintaining/trending down slowly & since the 7 wk mark trending down steadily. Now at the end of week 10 I am down to 145.8lb my goal is around 116lb
  • cohenandlani
    cohenandlani Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask how much people 'put on' before they took off or dud you just maintain for that 4 to 10 weeks?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    It seems like people put on anywhere from 0-10 lbs.
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    I am at week five and I have gained around 8 lbs and 4 inches. I am still waiting for the inches and the pounds to come off but I feel stronger, sleep better and am not hungry all the time. Hopefully another week or so will be enough to tell my body that it is for real this time; no more starving.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you should notice a change in your measurements in the first week or two. Remember even though you upped your calories you should still be at a deficit and you should still lose fat. even if the scale doesn't show it you are losing. thats why measurments are the way to go.
  • scottc561
    Options
    I am at week five and I have gained around 8 lbs and 4 inches. I am still waiting for the inches and the pounds to come off but I feel stronger, sleep better and am not hungry all the time. Hopefully another week or so will be enough to tell my body that it is for real this time; no more starving.

you have gained 4inches around the waist or total?
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I started upping my calories on 4/19/12 and initially showed a drop in the pounds, but then I gained a little bit. I started being consistent with calories on my birthday 5/3/12 and have gained a bit more, but I lost inches. :drinker:

So I feel I'm right on track because I have never given the scale numbers much of a thought! I am more concerned about inches and so far they are headed in the right direction!!
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options

4 inches total - waist, hips, chest and abdomen
  • scottc561
    Options

4 inches total - waist, hips, chest and abdomen
    It is very difficult for your body to actually get larger when you are on a calorie deficit. Even a small one as we use with em2wl. I was watching a diet program special on hbo the other nite. They said you can lose weight even cutting 10calories off of your diet. It would take along time but you would lose eventually. Now in reality being that accurate with your calories estimating and eating would be impossible imo. But the point being is-if you are eating at a calorie deficit as prescribed in this group you have to lose fat. Your body really has no other alternative. I know it's frustrating but you have to be patient with your body and beleive what you are doing is the right thing, and alot better then starving yourself as so many do to lose weight.

You may also really make sure your numbers are correct. Assuming you are doing everything correct then it is always possible to be off on your tdee estimate which would then affect your cut. I don't have the answer to that, you will have to really break down the numbers.