It's working!

Options
2»

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It's so good to hear stories like this! I'm going through a bit of a wobble after increasing my cals - first few weeks I had the expected gain, followed by a lovely 3lb loss but unfortunately this has been followed by 2 small gains :(

I'll keep going though!

These are my numbers if anyone would care to comment:

Height: 63 inches
    SW: 183lbs
    CW: 151lbs
    GW: 147lbs possibly 141lbs to reach healthy BMI

Scooby Figures:

BMR: 1394
    TDEE: 1917 (based on 1-3 hrs a week of light exercise)
    Daily Cals Based on 15% reduction: 1630

I have been eating (weekly average) between 1517 and 1638 cals – what do you guys think?

Keep going?? Eat more?? Eat less?!?

Please evaluate what you do for exercise weekly to be positive you have selected the right activity level. If you choose light and you're really moderate you will be hindering the process. Also being consistent is the key, an ocassional spike day won't hurt but a low cal day will. I have a feeling you should take the moderate activity level. Check the tdee topic for the scooby calculator if you think you need to run your numbers again.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Has anyone noticed nn all the threads that the answer is never cutting cals...remember that didn't work. I have yet to hear a person has overestimated their tdee it is always underestimating. If I plateau or bounce I will bump up and have to trend upwards over a 4 wk priod before I consider cutting...hasn't happened yet.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story ! I'm a believer : )
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this and for the detailed explanation of what you went though, it helps a lot!
  • Taffyali
    Taffyali Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you Karin, Alli and Lucia for taking the time to answer my questions xx

I do think I fall in to the light exercise category as I only do the following:

Walking - 4 mph - 30 mins - twice a week
    Walking - 3.5mph - 30 mins - twice a week

I work full time at a desk with very little movement - just to the water cooler, loo & photocopier, lol!

I do the housework but I'm only talking a couple of hours a week plus ironing.

Do you guys think this counts as light or moderate?
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you Karin, Alli and Lucia for taking the time to answer my questions xx

I do think I fall in to the light exercise category as I only do the following:

Walking - 4 mph - 30 mins - twice a week
    Walking - 3.5mph - 30 mins - twice a week

I work full time at a desk with very little movement - just to the water cooler, loo & photocopier, lol!

I do the housework but I'm only talking a couple of hours a week plus ironing.

Do you guys think this counts as light or moderate?

Ok so you have 2 hours walking, so how long do you spend on the housework?, is it constent, and do you break a sweat if so then you may need to look a the next activity level! :))
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Stick with your current number but eat it consistenly every single day and hold for 4 wks and let's chat again then.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I needed this reassurance! I have been eating more for almost two weeks now. I put on a pair of shorts today that a few weeks ago were loose and now are tighter. Ugh. Makes me think I am doing something wrong. I think I will be in the group that it will take a little longer to get my body used to the eating more.

I really want this to work and it makes total sense but.....I still have moments of thinking, here we go, another failed attempt to lose some fat or theres no way I can lose fat while enjoying myself so much!

I am planning on getting NROLFW in a week or two, I have some other things that need to get taken care of first but I hear such great things about it!

And well done on your dedication :flowerforyou:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thank you, I needed this reassurance! I have been eating more for almost two weeks now. I put on a pair of shorts today that a few weeks ago were loose and now are tighter. Ugh. Makes me think I am doing something wrong. I think I will be in the group that it will take a little longer to get my body used to the eating more.

I really want this to work and it makes total sense but.....I still have moments of thinking, here we go, another failed attempt to lose some fat or theres no way I can lose fat while enjoying myself so much!

I am planning on getting NROLFW in a week or two, I have some other things that need to get taken care of first but I hear such great things about it!

I am dedicated bec I know it works...the hardest time for everyone is the first 2 mos so I keep yacking and others too bec we know if you just get past the first couple months...you loose the dependence on the scale and appreciate the bf loss. You won't fail...just keep posting when you need reassurance. If you need me then inbox me just don't quit. Be consistent no matter what, that is key!
  • SweetSapphire
    SweetSapphire Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share my journey with you.

I started here on MFP on the 20th Feb this year weighing in at 88.8Kgs (195.36 pounds) the heaviest I had ever been!

I started by cutting calories, exercising my *kitten* off and only netting 600-1100 calories, I was losing weight, but I found out a few weeks later THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY!

I struggled to lose any more, I exercised more the scale was up and down... arrr what is happening??

I was gaining and losing the same few pounds every week...

On the 21st April I weighed in at 79.7 Kgs (175.34 pounds) I had, had enough I took a weeks break off the merry go round these cardio sessions were out of control!

I bought 4 books, Burn the fat feed the muscle, New Rules of lifting for women, The body fat soloution and Jillian Michaels Master your metabolism.

What did they all say.... you need to fuel your body in order for it to be able to work how you want it too....

So I got back on the exercise regime, and upped my calories, so I was now netting 1400, arrrr it happend again, I was still gaining and losing the same pound every week...

I then joined this group, did I need to up my calories again?? YES of course I did, i still wasn't eating enough, so I now net 1600-1700 calories, did I put on weight, YES I did , I upped my cals on May 8th, and by May 15th I weighed 80kg (176 pounds) I was starting to have a little panic at this point, but being consistant is the key, 1 low day un~does all your hard work, my scale has been down now for 3 days in a row and today I weighed in at 79.5kgs (174.9 pounds).

I also bought a body media fit, to help me understand what I was burning, I thought I was only lightly active... it seems I was so very very wrong, My BMR is 1529 and my average TDEE for this week is 2488 before the 15% cut, some days I burn 2800 cals, other days like Mother's day i was sat for the whole day, my burn was 2072... You see I didn't do it right at first, but the light bulb has now been switched on!

Do not be afraid to eat, if you look at my numbers, if I was burning 2800 in a day and only eating 1400 cals, when I really needed 2114-2380.

Do not compromise your metabolism, lose weight the sensible way, do your research, now go check your TDEE and see what you should be eating! and by the way i burn nearly 500 cals in my sleep from midnight to 7am....

Good luck everyone!

Alli

This sounds like me. The inches are coming off but the scale shows a different number everyday. I need to do something about it. You have inspired me to take the plunge and up my calorie intake. Wish me luck! :smile:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I am dedicated bec I know it works...the hardest time for everyone is the first 2 mos so I keep yacking and others too bec we know if you just get past the first couple months...you loose the dependence on the scale and appreciate the bf loss. You won't fail...just keep posting when you need reassurance. If you need me then inbox me just don't quit. Be consistent no matter what, that is key!

A big thank you to you! It really helps that you are so willing to be so helpful and hold everyones hands through this! I think because of this is why its easier to not give up and make it easier to believe that yes, it will work out!