Legs or lungs?

Options
ColtyHan
ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
Which gives out on you first? When I get to the end of my workout, my lungs feel great, I'm barely breathing hard. My legs feel like jelly, and I can barely walk.

Replies

• ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For me--definitely lungs! Steady breathing is so hard for me, but my legs feel fine normally.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually my heart rate, it tends to get pretty high, even though I've been running for months.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I completed week 5 day three about a week ago. I for a few weeks previously had been having some left leg pain after running (but not during), and now I'm giving it a rest until the weird pain goes away. But when I did my week 5 day 3 20 minute run it was my breathing more than my legs that was the limiting factor..and it really seems more like just a general feeling of fatigue rather than my gasping for breath. When I started the program it was most definitely my legs that were the limiting factor. I had super sore muscles the first few weeks but now they aren't getting sore anymore even with the longer runs.
  • cmbarnes
    cmbarnes Posts: 46
    Options
    I run on a hilly wooded trail, and the uphill stretches definitely make my legs burn...on the other hand, my breathing also sounds like a freight train (I'm a little self-conscious about it), but my heart/lungs don't feel uncomfortable.
  • spunkfish
    spunkfish Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My lungs x 1 million! I always feel like I can't breathe by the end of my run. But..I'm a recently reformed smoker, so that isn't helping me at all!
  • nightnurse2
    nightnurse2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lungs!
    I find I mouth breathe a lot and my throat gets really dry.
    I was out bike riding yesterday and had some chewing gum and this forced me to breath through my nose and stopped my throat feeling dry! So I might try that when i'm running! Sorry, just had to share lol!
    I am about to start W3D1 - so far it is going good, getting more comfortable running.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just got into week 4 yesterday and I dont know really. I think its kinda both for me. But Im learning to pace myself more so I can somewhat control the breathing. It was pretty warm here yesterday so Im thinking that played into a bit of my issues. Friday, I did 2 week 3 workouts and overall felt pretty good but legs were a little heavy by the end of the 2nd workout.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would have to say legs!! I seem to have found a good breathing pattern I'm never out of breath and I'm on W5D3, but my legs OMG they hurt by the end! I'll start D3 tomorrow I'm scared my legs will give out before I finish the 20 min run!
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thats a difficult one, because it can be either.
    When I first started running it was definitely my lungs! It was kinda frustrating because my legs felt like they could do so much more but my lungs wouldn't let me. I've gotten much better at stabilising my breathing now, but as I run on quite hilly roads, my legs can really burn!! When I come to a hill I find it better to power up it rather than slow down, and once I'm over it, running feels so much easier. So when I see a hill and think 'oh dear, here we go'... I remind myself that once I'm up it, it always gets a lot easier.

Also with breathing, my breathing is always at it's worst at the beginning of a run and then it's as though I break through a barrier and suddenly I can breath normal. I think that is something a lot of runners experience (I think). Once you get past a certain distance it eases up some what.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm with strawberrygas, it can be either. Sometimes I feel like I'm gasping for breath, other times I'm struggling to lift my legs.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    my entire chest hurts after I'm done lol I'm hoping that will go away soon tho..
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The bigger problem for me has been my lungs, which is ironic because I've been a trumpet player for 16 years and did three years of collegiate marching band on top of sports and high school actvities and everything else. However, I have been noticing some improvements lately, especially last night which was W5D2. Forcing myself to run at a slower pace has helped with this too. I was really excited about my lack of fatgiue last night, so we'll see how the dreaded W5D3 goes!

However, when I started switching to midfoot running, my legs instantly became the problem. I was working my calves in ways they weren't used to and it showed in the days after. This is starting to improve now too.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Varies day to day for me. Hayfever is really setting my asthma off right now so lungs are struggling, but my legs have been sore too! Can't wait to get a bit fitter!
    My lungs x 1 million! I always feel like I can't breathe by the end of my run. But..I'm a recently reformed smoker, so that isn't helping me at all!

It will get better - I promise. I stopped smoking more than three years ago (I was a 40-a-day girl despite having asthma - how stupid!) and my breathing was terrible for a few weeks. I spoke to the nurse at the asthma clinic who explained that my lungs were repairing themselves. Basically the cilia (little hairs inside your lungs) are destroyed by smoking and when you stop they start to grow back. They are there to filter out all the crap and it takes some getting used to using your lungs properly. Your lungs will also be clearing out the tar. Some of that breathlessness is simply your lungs getting stronger!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Got to say my legs - I'm only on day 2 but not had to take my inhailer yet but my calves ache like mad.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Lungs, or I get a stomach cramp and have to walk LOL
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lungs for sure. Although now that I've started 30 day shred I am definitely having more leg problems!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Definately lungs! I had exercise induced asthma as a kid, so I think I'm suffering a bit of that.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Today, both!
  • mipanda
    mipanda Posts: 43
    Options
    Definitely lungs for me. But I ran yesterday, W1D2 and pushed myself too far. I was running up to 10.5km and even did an extra full minute during the 'cool down' bit. My leg muscles didn't feel tired, but my hips ached.

After reading the tips & tricks stickie, I've accepted that I shouldn't push it & just go at the recommended level. :$
  • Wendy595
    Wendy595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My legs. I feel like my lungs can go so much further than my legs. Yesterday I felt like I could barely lift my legs to finish week 3. I start out rough with breathing and when I get it under control, my legs give out.