Cathe DVD's

Options
I found the Cathe DVD's online...wow. There are a LOT of them...which one's do you use and would you recommend for a BEGINNER weight lifter...running and kick boxing were my exercises of choice before.

Thanks!

Replies

• OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My first Cathe DVDs were Muscle Max, Slow & Heavy, and Kick Max. I loved them (still do) so much that it wasn't long before I bought STS. Any of them can really be "beginner" workouts. Just do what you can and you'll progress!
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    These are some of my firsts too and I love Slow and Heavy. Just recently started doing Pure Strength and like that one a lot too!
  • oneida_russet
    oneida_russet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like Push Pull and Super Sets also.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do them all and they are all great. Her beginner/intermediate level weight workouts are Total Body Sculpting and also the weight segments on the Basic Step + Body Fusion DVD. When you're ready to take it to the next level, I would recommend Push/Pull. It's more advanced than the previous two DVDs I mentioned, but it's shorter in length than her other advanced level total body workouts. All of the workouts can be used by a beginner because Cathe always encourages you to use the weight that you're comfortable using. She'll tell you what weight she's using, but she also tells you to use a weight that works for you. When I started, I did the advanced workouts, but I used light weights until I was able to go heavier.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nikki-Push/Pull and Supersets is a great dvd to start with. If you go to Cathe.com she has "deal of the day" every day. There are usually three each day and they are GREAT deals. So watch for that -I want to say that PP/SS was $19.97 last time it was DOTD.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Muscle max would be a great starter workout, although the thing about cathe that is so great is that you can adapt anything, you just do what you can do. I started out with the gym styles series and it worked out just fine. :)
    Body max 2 is another good one, tons of premixes sp you get a lot of bang for your buck. You can mix and match for upper, lower, cardio, etc.
    Cathe is awesome!!!! You can't go wrong!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thanku for posting about this! I think I might stop NROL4W as it doesnt seem to be working for me and would love another option. I know Kiki likes Cathe as well.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    So is this something you do at home? What type/variety of equipment do you need?? I am a total strength training idiot. :tongue: Ha there's probably a strength training for dummies. Maybe that's were I should start!
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    Ladies, if you are just starting out and have some extra funds, Cathe would be a great start. I got a used barbell and a step and so,e cheapo adjustable dumbbells to start. As I could afford it, I would pick up bits and pieces. Definitely check out her website, her stuff is more pricey than stuff you'd buy at Walmart, but there's just no comparison IMO!
  • d_89
    d_89 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soooo glad i came across this! Gonna check it out
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi (I'm new here :)

I bought the NROLFW book but am frustrated by the barbell issue, so I picked up this thread of yours about Cathe's DVDs.

If you were to do one of these beginner dvds (say total body sculpt) would you do it 3x a week?

I see programs like NROLFW do alternating workouts (workout a, workout b). If I were to do the Cathe workout, it wouldn't be alternating like that. Do you think it's still a good way to sink into heavy weight lifting for a relative beginner (I'm coming off trying the Red Carpet Ready program, which is higher volume circuit style, not as many full body exercises. In other words, the kind your body gets used to quickly) :)

Thank you!
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    The nice thing about doing Cathe is that she has many premixes on each dvd. So for example, there may be a premix on there that is just upper or just lower. I dont have that dvd. I would recommend starting with body max or body max 2, there are tons of options on there so you could pretty much exist on that dvd for awhile, alternating upper, lower, and cardio.
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! Rather than wait another day, I did do day 1 of nrolfw today, but may switch to cathe...I like the idea of having DVD guidance :)
  • mommamuscles
    Options
    By the way the deal of the day is 4 day split which gives you toms of options for upper,lower, core, cardio. It would be a great starter program! She should so pay me!!