Week 4, May 20 to May 26

Options
Here we go... week 4, time to bring it!

Don't forget to keep the spreadsheet updated for each exercise you do, so we can keep track of each other:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqs2MH7Y8hmQdEszbjJSMEhyTTRRbE5ETkdZN0oyZFE#gid=0

All 3 days are the same again!

Day 1, 2, and 3

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
five-minute cool down walk.

Replies

• blackeyegirl
    Options
    Hi fellow runners!! I just finished w3, d3 and things are going well for me. I see next week will be a challenge, and hope I am up for it!

I thought I would share something with the group that I recently learned about running (after sustaining a knee injury about 6 weeks ago when I first started the c25k program). I was made aware (by a marathoner acquaintance) of a "different" running method developed by Danny Dreyer some years back known as "ChiRunning". If you do a search on mfp and you'll find some basic info about ChiRunning - someone has posted a great synopsis. I am trying my best to utilize Dreyer's method when I do my c25k runs as well as walks...injury free thus far. I would highly recommend reading both ChiWalking and ChiRunning (I borrowed both from the library). His method has made all the difference in my enjoyment of running. Hope this may help any of you who may be struggling with your runs!

And thanks again Pete for starting this group! What a boost this has given to my exercise regimen! Great day to all!!
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Haven't decided yet whether I'm moving on to week 4 or doing week 3 again. I'll see how it goes this weekend.
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I did week 3 day 1 yesterday. Awesome, but tough!! Day 2 of week 3 tomorrow!!
  • its_sania
    its_sania Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oooh, looking forward to trying out the 5min runs! Especially the last one, I tend to get tired towards the end of the workout so it'll be interesting to see if I can last the 5mins. I finished Week3 today so will be starting with this hopefully tomorrow :-)
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I would highly recommend reading both ChiWalking and ChiRunning (I borrowed both from the library). His method has made all the difference in my enjoyment of running. Hope this may help any of you who may be struggling with your runs!

Thank you for recommending ChiRunning. I did some searches on the internet and found the book and video and hope to put them to use this week, thank you!
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    these workouts are starting to make me nervous! It was difficult runing 3 minutes at a time, now we have to run 5 minutes! :noway: I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.....:wink:
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Finished week 3 day 3
    Just for the fun after about a 3 minute cool down i went ahead and tried a 5 minute jog. I did it.

I too did the chi running research and tried the method. There was a very good demo on YouTube. It really works. I had to constantly think about it, even while walking, but it was wonderful. Thanks for the tip.

i looked forward to week for 4---- and yes ---- you can do it.........
  • blackeyegirl
    Options
    I got through W4, d1 too! Good to hear some are benefiting from Chi Running. No doubt it helped me get through today's run, and what a great feeling when it was done!
  • willforbes
    willforbes Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 day 1. I am trying to catch up. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be caught up.
  • peteb79
    Options
    Completed week 4 day 1 yesterday, and the 5 minute runs were not a problem! This is a big step for me, and I am starting to think that this is going to work all the way through week 9!
  • its_sania
    Options
    Just completed Week 4 Day 1. The first 5minute run was easy, but as expected the last 5min run had me watching the clock hoping for it to end! I got through it, but I'm hoping Day 2 will be easier!
  • edobrien
    edobrien Posts: 9
    Options
    Getting ready to give week 4 day one a try, nice and rainy here in DC, should keep me cool . Hope you guys are having a good week
  • sara6636
    sara6636 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 4 Day 2, and I was really struggling on the second 5 min run. I tried to just concentrate on the music, but man, was I glad when the 5 minutes was up! I am hoping Day 3 will be a little smoother.

However, it's starting to be real summertime (like disgusting sticky hot) down here in New Orleans, so I have a feeling it's going to be a challenge here on in!! Good luck everyone!
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Completed week 4 day 1!

For me the first minute of the 5 minute run was like - no way will i make five minutes - but as i was counting down the last minute i was thinking to myself "i can keep going". I added an extra three minute run at the end too.

Now - i must say, six minutes is my max right now- so the idea of going longer than that next week is very intimidating --next 2 days of week 4 are going to be interesting.

WE CAN DO IT!!!!
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 done. I would have never thought that I could run for 5 minutes straight when we started on week 1...so I was doing a major fist pump when I finished that first 5 minutes. I was majorly relieved when I finished that second 5 minutes -- no fist pump that time because I was too out of breath!!

I am a day behind this week so I am going to try to do day 2 tomorrow.
  • its_sania
    Options
    I just finished Week 4 Day 2, and I was really struggling on the second 5 min run. I tried to just concentrate on the music, but man, was I glad when the 5 minutes was up!

Same!! I felt pretty good during Day 1 but Day 2 was TOUGH! I was dreading the last 5minutes and was close to stopping but i didn't want to disappoint myself so I pushed on. Fingers crossed Day 3 is better.
  • peteb79
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 is done, the 5 minute runs are getting better. I have been running on a straight path for the past 2 weeks, so I keep comparing back to week 2 where I was running on a field track. The run portions were hardly half a lap. My GPS shows my 5 minute runs at nearly half a mile, which is about 2 laps. I never would of thought I could run 2 laps without stopping..

I was intimidated by week 4, but it's almost over.. now I am looking onto week 5 and feel that same intimidation... but knowing that week 4 is nearly behind us makes week 5 look possible! (w/ the exception of that last day.... what are the C25k creators thinking? 20 minutes in week 5! are they nuts? lol...)
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 is done, the 5 minute runs are getting better. I have been running on a straight path for the past 2 weeks, so I keep comparing back to week 2 where I was running on a field track. The run portions were hardly half a lap. My GPS shows my 5 minute runs at nearly half a mile, which is about 2 laps. I never would of thought I could run 2 laps without stopping..

I was intimidated by week 4, but it's almost over.. now I am looking onto week 5 and feel that same intimidation... but knowing that week 4 is nearly behind us makes week 5 look possible! (w/ the exception of that last day.... what are the C25k creators thinking? 20 minutes in week 5! are they nuts? lol...)

Yes they are! I just finished day 2, week 5. The second 8 minutes was challenging. But I did it. Not sure about the 3rd day though. it's going to be tough. I think it's getting to be more of a mind game at this point. We just have to put our mins to it and the rest of the body will follow. Hopefully.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I tripped over my dog while running on week 2 day 1. Heavily bruised my knees and right shoulder but no 'bad' damage. I'm healed up for the most part and re-started on Monday and ran again today (week 2 day 3) So far, so good. I may even try to 'catch up'. Do you all think that would be ok as long as it's easy for me to do it? I really want to do this the way I planned. I haven't jogged much in the past but I've walked almost 500 miles since Jan 1st and so far it seems easy. I did jog for 4 minutes straight today without much effort.
  • ThinkThin85
    ThinkThin85 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @NoIJustLook sorry to hear about your fall. Can't really comment about you catching up. However, I was impressed with how many miles you have walked so far this year. WTG!

Side note: I finished week 4 day 2 today yay!! The second 5 minutes was tough...but I did it, almost wanted to do a happy dance when I was done!