Grip

Options
The muscles that I am working are fine and I could lift more, but my forearms are killing me. Do you have any problems with your grip? How do you work through it?

Replies

• sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem too (on deadlifts with the bar)...my legs could handle more weight but I was about to drop the bar after only a few reps. Someone suggested to do a mixed grip--one hand-overhand, one hand-underhand and then switch for the next set. So far it has worked for me & I've been able to increase my weight every workout. Maybe someone else has some ideas of what to do with dumbells!?
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Squeezing a stress ball. They also sell hand grippers at Wal-Mart and other places that are designed to help build grip strength.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem too (on deadlifts with the bar)...my legs could handle more weight but I was about to drop the bar after only a few reps. Someone suggested to do a mixed grip--one hand-overhand, one hand-underhand and then switch for the next set. So far it has worked for me & I've been able to increase my weight every workout. Maybe someone else has some ideas of what to do with dumbells!?

I've been having problems on a few, deadlifts included. Thanks for that tip! Gonna try it today on B5
  • BetterWithAge
    BetterWithAge Posts: 693
    Options
    I will try both of those suggestions. Thank you :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    mixed grip really helped me on the deadlifts.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You can try straps until your grip strength increases. The book recommended it, though I havne't tried it.

I've only recently been able to finish a set of squats with dumbells without dropping the weights halfway through. I just go as long as I can. And if my wrists can't hold more weight on something like a deadlift, I just hold off on increasing the weight until my wrists catch up.

It's like how I can do more reps with my right on shoulderpress. I just keep the weight steady until the left catches up. I guess it slows down my results a bit, but I figure it's more efficient in the long run.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i forgot to mention the other things that helps with deadlifts, which technically you're supposed to do anyway (i dont think the book mentions it) is to slightly reset your grip between reps since you are setting the weights on the floor anyway.