Confused about excercise calories

Options
SukiRob
SukiRob Posts: 18 Member
Hi Guys thanks for all the info. Could you please clarify something so Im 100% sure I have this

BMR 1276
TDEE 1977
Daily Calories 1562

I shouldnt enter my exercise calories in MFP because 1562 covers it...right?

Replies

• SukiRob
    Options
    Please let me know if you need more info.
  • RoosMommy01
    RoosMommy01 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm still confused when it comes to this as well.

My BMR is 1882 and my TDEE (after -25%) is 2188

Today on food I ate 2137 calories and exercise is 586 so my net will be 1551. I've read time and time again that I should eat back enough exercise calories to at least meet my BMR but shouldn't the TDEE amount include that because of the cut?
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Today on food I ate 2137 calories and exercise is 586 so my net will be 1551. I've read time and time again that I should eat back enough exercise calories to at least meet my BMR but shouldn't the TDEE amount include that because of the cut?

As far as I know, you never want to NET below your BMR, so if your net after your exercise is now 1551, you need to eat back up to the 1882 (your BMR). Are you confident that your calories burned is accurate? Is it from an HRM, or is it from MFP--I only ask because I've been finding that since I got an HRM that I don't burn nearly as much as MFP would say when I entered in my minutes into the database, but if you are fairly confident in your exercise burn numbers, and you are netting below your BMR, you should eat back up to your BMR on those days. Otherwise, eating just your cut everyday will suffice.
  • SukiRob
    Options

I had a few replies on the general forum. It seems that if you are using the calculaters on http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ or http://scoobysworkshop.com/ you should not be eating back the exercise calories. Only eat them back if you are setting the calories that MFP give you - for me 1200. I have reset my goal to 1560 and not putting in the exercise. Hope that helps.

PS I was eating back my exercise calories before I had the answer and still losing a little so wont worry too much if I go over :smile:
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options

Yes, your tdee includes your exercise calories. However, we must bear in mind that the cut is just that, a cut (less that tdee). If you net below your bmr then it is too big of a cut (at least on the high burn days). If you are consistently netting below your bmr, then likely you have under-estimated your activity level.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Yes, your tdee includes your exercise calories. However, we must bear in mind that the cut is just that, a cut (less that tdee). If you net below your bmr then it is too big of a cut (at least on the high burn days). If you are consistently netting below your bmr, then likely you have under-estimated your activity level.

This is my advice as well. I just asked a question about the importance of netting BMR. It's basically done to prevent having to high of a cut. Your TDEE may not be right if you always have too large of a cut.