The way it used to be

Options
2stepz
2stepz Posts: 814 Member
Following is one of the stories of my ancestors... things haven't changed THAT much.

My great-grandfather (Pete) was on a date with some girl. Across the room he saw my great-grandmother (Helen) who was on a date with another guy. This was in the late 20s, early 30s to my best calculation. Pete, a slim 6'0 Irishman, was so taken by this 4'10 German girl, he ignored his date and by the end of the night, had stolen Helen away from the man she came with. They married a few months later, and 7 months after their wedding my great uncle was born. More than 60 years later, they had 12 kids, 50+ grandkids, and 50+ great-grandkids when she was diagnosed with stomach cancer. She passed away shortly after the diagnosis, and he held on for a little more than a year after she passed before he made up his mind to join her.

I am lucky enough to have some vivid memories of my greatgrandparents, and know details others in my generation have not bothered to learn. I was 10 years old when she passed, and was one of the two great grandkids that got to say goodbye the night he passed. I plan to do all I can to pass stories like this on to future generations of this lineage.

Do you have stories of your ancestors and how they met and fell in love?

(edited to fix a typo)

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Aw that is a cute story. Love that he just saw her and was like "boom she's the one!"

My parents met at a party my dad was throwing - she was there with another guy!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my maternal great grandparents met at a dance. she noticed that he wasnt dancing so went up to him and said "what's the matter with you? dont you dance?" turns out he had a broken leg but they ended up talking the entire night. oh yeah great granny was also in an unhappy marriage at the time (she married someone way older than her) so after a week or so of courting with my great granddad, she left the other guy and got hitched to my great grand dad :laugh:
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    My mums parents were married for over 60 years, before my nan passed away, they met at a dance out when my nan was like 17. Took him a while to win her over but after that they never looked backed. Pretty much the same on my dads side, only have my dads mum left now. Wish they were still here, always wanted ,y grandparents to see me married and have kids but I keep taking my sweet time lol.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    My uncle and aunt met in high school. Their first date was a James Bond movie. They have now been married 40 years.

Today, everyone advises against the movie first date. I can't recall ever doing a movie theater first date.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My maternal grandmother lived in Maryland and was engaged. She took a trip to California where she met my grandfather. She threw her engagement ring off the Golden Gate Bridge and stayed in California and married my grandfather. They had three daughters and 5 grandkids.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My grandparents met at a high school basketball game in 1948. My grandfather was 19 and was a referee working the game. My grandmother was 15 and was at the game with a friend who also knew my grandfather. The friend introduced them. A week later, my grandmother turned 16. A week after that, they got married. They will celebrate their 65th anniversary next year.

What really amazes me is that they are complete and total opposites, so it's mind-boggling to me that they made it work all these years. I asked my grandmother a few months back how they've done it, and she said, very matter-of-factly, "We made a commitment to each other. It's not more complicated than that."
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Awwww such a sweet story....:love:

I never knew my great grandparents, and hardly knew by grandparents, one of which is still alive at 94, but lives in South America.

I know my Mum and Dad were childhood sweethearts. My Dad came to England at 18 to join the RAF and my Mum soon followed.

:flowerforyou:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    My dad was 32 and stationed in Germany. When my 18-year-old mom was working in the commissary and saw him shopping she turned the moves on. 6 months later they got married so when he came back to the states she could join him. They had my sister three years later and me fourteen months after her.

They're separated now, and despite the fights and disagreements I know my dad still loves my mom so much. He won't divorce her because he doesn't want her to have to struggle to get by. I hope someday someone loves me as much as he loves her.
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My parents met in a... strange way, if I do say so myself.

My dad was moving out of his stripper-exgirlfriend's apartment. He and his cousin, Micky, packed all of his stuff in his car and were on their way to Micky's house so my dad would have a place to sleep. As they were driving along, they saw a convertible with two blonde girls in it and followed them home. It was a few hour's work as the girls went to go eat and things like that. They eventually followed them to their relative's house. Those two girls were my mom and her cousin. My mom and dad started talking. She said she was 17 (She was really 15) and he said that he was 19 (he was really 21). BOOM! Three years later, they had an abortion, got married. Then I was born 4 years later c:

My grand-parents were friends at a very young age. They were never really interested in each other until they were about 14. But they didn't really date or anything. They were sort of friends that he would come over early while she was putting on her makeup and help her do her hair. He was a drummer in a band and she went to ALL of his shows. The other girls, especially as they got older were always so jealous of her because he was a cute, popular guy. But she would just blow them off. Well, one day, they decided to try to go steady. She got stood up a few times. The last time it happened, he was really late, and when he got there, she was getting ready for a date with another guy. He drove her to her date, and waited for her at her house. That night, he proposed. She was so upset with him, she made him wait a few months for her answer. During that time, he drove her to all her dates, helped her got ready, and paid for new clothes for her. It worked :p
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm glad it's not the way it used to be. 50 grand kids? 50 great grand kids? we don't need that many people in this world.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sweet story!!

Well my dad always tells us the 1st thing he noticed about my mom was her legs, specifically her calves.

Do you know both of my sisters and I all have my mom's legs???? I've never had a guy NOT compliment me on my legs, specifically my calves.

Sweet huh? lol

My dad was poor, mom was better (not rich although my grandma acted like she was better and richer than everybody else). Mom hated my dad... then one day she gave him some breakfast or something and they started chatting.