how to increase speed

Options
mariagabriella
mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
I usually swim 2km freestyle (80 laps in a 25m pool), and it takes me 50 minutes. My time hasn't increased over the past year, so I'm stuck on what I need to do in order to improve my time.

What are some good strategies to increase my speed? I feel like I swim like a snail, and when I try and swim faster I don't actually go that much faster!

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew too.

I swim breaststroke and usually do 50 x 18m lengths in 27mins av. and recently completed a 5km swim (200 x 25m) in 2:44:16.

I've seen another bloke at the gym (who's also a bit bigger build than me) swimming breaststroke and he's lapped me within a few lengths.

I would like to be able to swim 5km in under 2 hrs.
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you log on to

http://paceclub.speedousa.com

They have workouts for you to do to increase pace. You can set a distance target for yourself too. I have one for Liverpool to the Isle of Man which I hope to do in just over a month. Only found it today but looks fab for tracking your swims. They workouts are done over 8 weeks defo worth a look Xx
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You might want to Consider investing in some coaching (or get someone to video you /watch you swim) - you 'll find out where your technique is dragging you into a slow time, and get to understand what the different drills do.. Or google like crazy ( eg you tube clips) for 'how to' technique clips...

I am taking this approach and gradually my overall speed (and endurance) is going up ...it's still frustrating when the guy with bad technique goes faster than me, but i am closing the gap! One day ....
  • CathyPot
    CathyPot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since swimming is all about reducing drag in the water, it is true that it takes a lot more effort to go just a little bit faster. The faster you go, the more resistance, the more effort. One way to increase speed is to do it in small chunks. Try to go faster for 4 lengths and then go back to your comfortable speed. When you've recovered, speed up again for 4 more. Keep increasing it. BUT the best way to get faster is to think about reducing the resistance - that is, make it easier. Steamline position when you push off the walls. Extend every stroke, head in line with your spine. Keep your body position as horizontal as possible. And always breathe!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you log on to

http://paceclub.speedousa.com

They have workouts for you to do to increase pace. You can set a distance target for yourself too. I have one for Liverpool to the Isle of Man which I hope to do in just over a month. Only found it today but looks fab for tracking your swims. They workouts are done over 8 weeks defo worth a look Xx
    I was sent details of the swimfit site (www.swimming.org/myswimming/login) when I did my Swimathon and it's similar insofar as you can set challenges and view techniques.

I think I probably need a swimming coach, because of two things: 1) I'm pants at watching a video and reproducing the actions, and 2) I cannot swim front crawl (freestyle) without swallowing a litre of water.

I will need to try and do some drills though with a float.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread in this group:
    First off, you should be doing fartlek types of workouts in the pool to improve your time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

For now work on it with 100s. Doing 4 x 100 with a 25 sprint somewhere in there.
    Ex:

1 x 100 - 1st 25 hard
    1 x 100 - 2nd 25 hard etc...

Then build up to doing 150s, 200s, and then finally start playing fartlek for 400s. Each time you increase the distance, increase the distance that's supposed to be hard (but you can also start with 25 and build up to longer sprint distances depending how you feel).
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First off, you should be doing fartlek types of workouts in the pool to improve your time.

For now work on it with 100s. Doing 4 x 100 with a 25 sprint somewhere in there.
    Ex:

1 x 100 - 1st 25 hard

Then build up to doing 150s, 200s, and then finally start playing fartlek for 400s. Each time you increase the distance, increase the distance that's supposed to be hard (but you can also start with 25 and build up to longer sprint distances depending how you feel).

Hi< thanks for sharing but... can you translate? What does 1 x 100 - 1st 25 hard mean? you swim 4 laps of 25 meters (or yards) freestyle, the first of which is "hard", meaning more effort?
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Ex:

1 x 100 - 1st 25 hard

Hi< thanks for sharing but... can you translate? What does 1 x 100 - 1st 25 hard mean? you swim 4 laps of 25 meters (or yards) freestyle, the first of which is "hard", meaning more effort?

Yes, you swim 4 continuous lengths and do one length with as much effort as you can. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There's on major question that needs to be answered before you try to swim faster, are you trying to swim fast for a short distance or to increase your endurance so that you can go harder for longer. In the off-season (I'm a DIII varsity swimmer) I work mostly on trying to go harder for longer because it means that I can get the most amount of swimming in during the time I'm in the pool, as opposed to spending 10 seconds out of every minute and a half resting.
    There are very different training regimens for sprint training, going really really fast for a short amount of time, and endurance training, going faster than is comfortable for a long time, usually for longer than about 6 minutes at a time up to anywhere from 20 minutes or so for the mile race, or much longer for something like open water swimming.

If you want to get faster at sprinting, then you'll want to start with some interval training. You can either do this by using the time clock on the wall, and setting actual times, like you will do a certain number of 50's, or 25's (down and back, or just one way down the pool) on a certain interval, say one minute each. The goal with this set is to swim them fast, and then get about 10 seconds of rest after each one to recover. That's the other way to do interval training, swim a distance, then count an amount of rest, generally about 10 seconds, and then do another one. The benefit of setting an interval is that the set becomes more difficult as you get more tired, but since you have a specific time you need to leave the wall, you have to go on that time. If you're counting 10 seconds every time, you're getting a consistant amount of rest, but you're probably swimming slower. For sprint workouts, you generally don't want to do much more than 100 yards fast at a time, especially if you haven't been training for too long. Sprinting should feel very uncomfortable in your muscles, you should feel like you're swimming at a pace that you can't hold for very long, probably not more than a minute.

If you want to get better at endurance training, you'll want to practice swimming for longer distances at a pace that is slightly uncomfortable. If it's too uncomfortable you won't be able to hold that pace for the whole time, but if it feels actually comfortable, like you could do it forever, then you should be trying harder. Call this pace your "strong pace." Once you do this for a long time, you'll be able to know what your pace is for all different sorts of distances so that you can complete them, and be very tired at the end. This is where I'd recommend interval training based off of a certain amount of rest. Swim a considerable distance, this will depend on your own abilities. For newer swimmers, 50 yards might be a distance where holding a "strong pace" is a good goal, or for more experienced swimmers, or those training for longer events, holding pace for a few rounds of 400 yards, or even a thousand or for 30 minutes straight for as far as you can go, are great goals to work on going faster for longer.

Though, all of that said, technique is really the most important part. If you're fighting your body all the way through the water, you won't be able to go as fast as you would like. Aim for feeling smooth in the water instead of jerking, and maybe consider getting a coach or watching videos online. You can do it!
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't know if this has been suggested to you, but one of the chief ways to improve your breaststroke without a coach and seeing a video is to focus on your glide (the part where you kick and push your hands forward). A simple exercise is to reach as far as you can for 5 seconds during your glide. When you finish the glide, you should follow up with a vigorous pull (to regain momentum). If you swim in sets, do a set of 10 laps normal, then a set of 10 laps focusing on extending your glide, then a set of 10 normal, and so on until you've completed your workout. Over time this should increase your over-all speed.
  • riftknight
    riftknight Posts: 21
    Options
    I personally find that the best way to increase speed with little effort is by improving your stroke technique. Since it doesn't seem like you swim intervals or sets, the easiest way to increase your speed at freestyle is by doing what used to be called a SKPS (Swim, Kick, Pull, Swim). For starting out, I would suggest doing it in a 400 swim x 400 kick x 400 pull x 400 swim set. When you do this, focus on the kicking and pulling. For Kick, hands at the top of a kick board (or over the top of each other if there is no kick board available) and arms fully extened. Reach as far as you can and sprint every 4th leg. When you Pull (pulling is not using your legs, but only your arms) extend your arms as far forward as you can and each stroke should be as deep as possible with your hand exploding from the water at your waist. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if you focus on those simple mechanics you will see improvement in your stroke.