My activity level?

Options
angelina2585
angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
Ok I can't stop messing around with that Scooby calculator. I'm obsessed I tell you!

So who wants to help me out with my level?

I do a mixture of 30 day shred/walking/elliptical/stationary bike over the week. My calorie burn over 5 to 7 days (5 hours in total) is 1850.

I set my level at 3-5 hours moderate but I keep looking at the figures between what I'm eating and burning and think maybe I should drop down a level.

Here are my stats:

Age - 42
Height - 64"
Weight - 138lbs

BMR - 1352

1-3 hours exercise - TDEE 1859, 15% cut 1580
3-5 hours exercise - TDEE 2095, 15% cut 1781

The reason I'm thinking I've set it too high is because I don't know if I work hard enough to be in the moderate level. I had set my calorie goal at 1800 4 weeks ago and lost 1.25 lbs over the first 2 weeks and have today recorded my 2nd week of no loss at all. I'll be honest and say that with family parties over the weekend I did over-indulge on Saturday so my daily average calories for the week ended up being 1975 but that wouldn't have converted into a fat gain yet. Would it?

I've just reset my goal to 1750. Would you do that? Am I jumping the gun? Tell me what to do and I swear I will back away from that bloody Scooby site until I lose 5lbs lol I've always been a slave to the scales but now I'm a slave to online calculators and my MFP spreadsheet!

Apologies for rambling. Who'd have thought how obsessive this would be?!

Replies

• Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your indulgence on Saturday probably wouldn't cause fat gain, in my opinion. It probably WOULD cause water retention, especially if the foods were higher in salt/sugar. The scale can LIE!

If I were you, I'd continue eating the 1800 and just avoid weighing in for several weeks. Of course, I'm new to this Eating More thing so maybe a veteran can offer a more "professional" opinion. :smile:
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I would keep your activity level at the very least moderate, and possibly bump it up to the next level.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options

BMR - 1352

I would say moderate activity level. So eat 1750 and if you burn more than 429 (1781-1352) then eat you that you NET at least your BMR.

Good luck.
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat angelina! I'm messing with that calculator too. Not knowing exactly how many calories when I work out is scary. Plus, I've done nothing but gain in the last several weeks. My clothes are tight and I'm concerned!
  • angelina2585
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it - why does this all seem so much easier when I read every one else's questions?!

I'm going to stick to 1750 and moderate. Having calmed down somewhat and getting my calculator out - yes, again - I can see that if I dropped a level that I would have to eat extra to net bmr and the whole point is to reassure my body that it's going to get a consistent feed. Isn't it?

Loverstreet I hope this thread has helped you too.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ok I can't stop messing around with that Scooby calculator. I'm obsessed I tell you!

I do a mixture of 30 day shred/walking/elliptical/stationary bike over the week. My calorie burn over 5 to 7 days (5 hours in total) is 1850.

I set my level at 3-5 hours moderate but I keep looking at the figures between what I'm eating and burning and think maybe I should drop down a level.

Here are my stats:

Age - 42
    Height - 64"
    Weight - 138lbs

BMR - 1352

The reason I'm thinking I've set it too high is because I don't know if I work hard enough to be in the moderate level. I had set my calorie goal at 1800 4 weeks ago and lost 1.25 lbs over the first 2 weeks and have today recorded my 2nd week of no loss at all. I'll be honest and say that with family parties over the weekend I did over-indulge on Saturday so my daily average calories for the week ended up being 1975 but that wouldn't have converted into a fat gain yet. Would it?

I've just reset my goal to 1750. Would you do that? Am I jumping the gun? Tell me what to do and I swear I will back away from that bloody Scooby site until I lose 5lbs lol I've always been a slave to the scales but now I'm a slave to online calculators and my MFP spreadsheet!

Me too! So obsessed that I ordered a Body Media Fit to figure out my tree. I increased my calories over a month ago and haven't seen movement.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Here are my stats:

Age - 42
    Height - 64"
    Weight - 138lbs

BMR - 1352

Me too! So obsessed that I ordered a Body Media Fit to figure out my tree. I increased my calories over a month ago and haven't seen movement.

I love when people get the BMF because they see for themselves that they burn way more than they thought and need to eat even more!

I tell people to eat 300 less than what BMF says and it has been working for them. So can't wait to hear from you.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it - why does this all seem so much easier when I read every one else's questions?!

I'm going to stick to 1750 and moderate. Having calmed down somewhat and getting my calculator out - yes, again - I can see that if I dropped a level that I would have to eat extra to net bmr and the whole point is to reassure my body that it's going to get a consistent feed. Isn't it?

Loverstreet I hope this thread has helped you too.

Glad people jumped in and said exactly what I was going to say:-)

Consistency is so key and eating the right amount is too. I always prefer to err on the side of eating a little more than trying to go down in calories because it didn't work before. So glad you are staying at the 1750 value. I am telling you this and take it to the bank, if you bounce around for another 4wks, bump your calories to 1800 and see what happens.
  • angelina2585
    Options
    Thanks for your input Lucia. I've put all calculators to bed ;)