TIPS AND ADVICE

Options
ShawnDMuth
ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
Simple tips to make your workouts, health and life better. Give them a chance and you tell me what happens

1) Make sure you have a before picture, measurements and weight amount. Even if you haven't done them yet and already started do it NOW! Have something to look back at, the old you. ;)
2) Eat every 2-4 hours something healthy. Even if you are NOT hungry, do it to ACTIVATE your metabolism. This also creates more energy.
3) Drink half your weight in ounces of water. Wake up and immediately down 8-20oz to get off to great start. This is number 1 for overall health and energy levels.
4) Each day eat a complex carb (yam, sweet potato, brown rice or oatmeal) 1-2 times, ideally early in day. Super important for long term energy and to prevent bad food cravings.
5) Before you eat something, ask yourself, how nutritional dense is this food?
6) Exercise! Think daily, if you miss a day, you still got 6 workouts that week.
7) When you wake up each day say thank you for your new day and your health.
8) Before you go to bed, write down 5-10 things you are grateful for. It doesn't matter if you have it or not. State it like you do. After you write them out, go back and read them again, after each one say THANK YOU 3 times each to FEEL it in your heart. What you focus on, EXPANDS.

Replies

• angelpie36426
    angelpie36426 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am new to strength training. I have a stability ball and a dvd to go with it. Cant find those exercises in the database. I also have a small dumb bell set, ankle weights, and some hand weight. Dont really have a program. Need some guidance. Nothing to complicated. I am a working mom. If it's to complicated I won't do it. I don't have the long bar to put the dumb bells on so right now I can work each arm individually. I plan on getting on though just don't know when. Where do I start?
  • ShawnDMuth
    Options
    Next time you workout try this out...when you are getting tired pay attention to where your mind and thoughts go. Are you thinking I am so tired or when is this over or I can't do this or I am exhausted. TRY THIS OUT
    next time you get to that "hard" part of your routine think and say out load or to yourself:

"I CAN DO THIS"
    " I FEEL GOOD"
    " I ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE AND I AM GETTING BETTER"
    " I AM GETTING MORE FIT"
    "MY BODY IS GETTING BETTER AT THIS"
    " I CAN DO THIS"
    "MY ______ ARE IMPROVING"

You will be shocked by what a difference this makes. You ARE what you eat and what you THINK. Eat healthy, live food and think good about yourself! ;)
  • tmte1207
    tmte1207 Posts: 22
    Options
    You are absolutely correct! In my own situation, I skinned one of my shins doing box jumps several months back up on a 20 inch box. I had been doing box jumps at that height for months before that happened, but once it happened, I had this mental block. It was awful. I am doing much better now and have worked my way up to an 18 inch box which means that a 20 inch box is only 2 inches away. I can do that! It's only 2 inches! Yeah...it's all mental for what you can do compared to what you think you can do. Don't be afraid to push yourself just a little bit harder every time and the world will open up for you as to what you can actually do that you never thought possible. Cheers!
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Next time you workout try this out...when you are getting tired pay attention to where your mind and thoughts go. Are you thinking I am so tired or when is this over or I can't do this or I am exhausted. TRY THIS OUT
    next time you get to that "hard" part of your routine think and say out load or to yourself:

"I CAN DO THIS"
    " I FEEL GOOD"
    " I ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE AND I AM GETTING BETTER"
    " I AM GETTING MORE FIT"
    "MY BODY IS GETTING BETTER AT THIS"
    " I CAN DO THIS"
    "MY ______ ARE IMPROVING"

You will be shocked by what a difference this makes. You ARE what you eat and what you THINK. Eat healthy, live food and think good about yourself! ;)

Thanks for this :smile:
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shawn!
  • ShawnDMuth
    Options
    How to calculate your calories:

For a WOMAN take your weight X 12= total amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight.
    Take you current level and subtract 500 so you can lose a pound per week. One pound of fat is 3500 calories(7 X 500)
    When you exercise you may be burning another 300- 700 calories so that can put you up to 2 lbs per week.
    Understand you MUST stay above 1200 calories no matter what you do. That is actually the LAW used in CA for any kind of recommended nutritional plan.

For MEN same thing BUT X by 16 instead of 12.

You want to LOAD your body with HIGH quality foods
    Examples: sweet potatoes, yams, oatmeal and brown rice for GREAT carbs.
    egg whites, protein powder, turkey, chicken breast, fish for ideal protein sources.
    raw almonds or nuts, flax seed oil for essential fats ( PS good fats don't make you FAT, you need them)
    Eat a salad per day!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    How to calculate your calories:

For a WOMAN take your weight X 12= total amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight.
    Take you current level and subtract 500 so you can lose a pound per week. One pound of fat is 3500 calories(7 X 500)
    When you exercise you may be burning another 300- 700 calories so that can put you up to 2 lbs per week.
    Understand you MUST stay above 1200 calories no matter what you do. That is actually the LAW used in CA for any kind of recommended nutritional plan.

For MEN same thing BUT X by 16 instead of 12.

You want to LOAD your body with HIGH quality foods
    Examples: sweet potatoes, yams, oatmeal and brown rice for GREAT carbs.
    egg whites, protein powder, turkey, chicken breast, fish for ideal protein sources.
    raw almonds or nuts, flax seed oil for essential fats ( PS good fats don't make you FAT, you need them)
    Eat a salad per day!

Maybe a dumb question but what are good fats?
  • thewaterwoman
    thewaterwoman Posts: 104
    Options
    I am SO grateful you posted this Shawn after we talked I was really feeling how people can get overwhelmed and discouraged

THANK YOU so much for writing the way to calulate ones calories

Evelyne
  • angelpie36426
    angelpie36426 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am SO grateful you posted this Shawn after we talked I was really feeling how people can get overwhelmed and discouraged

Evelyne

Yes, thank you! After some of the other stuff I read on other threads and websites, I was beginning to think I needed a degree nutrition to figure it out.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options

Evelyne

Yes, thank you! After some of the other stuff I read on other threads and websites, I was beginning to think I needed a degree nutrition to figure it out.

^This. So agree with both. Though still trying to figure it out. to tired to think today.
  • thewaterwoman
    thewaterwoman Posts: 104
    Options
    10 REASONS WHY TO DRINK MORE WATER

1)Get Healthy Skin
    2)Flush Toxins
    3)Reduce Your Risk Of Heart Attack
    4)Cushion And Lube Your Joints And Muscles
    5)Get Energized And Be Alert
    6)Stay Regular
    7)Reduce Your Risk Of Disease And Infection
    8)Regulate Your Body Temperature
    9)Burn More Fat And Build More Muscle
    10)Get Well
  • ShawnDMuth
    Options
    ROASTED CHICKEN AND VEGGIES IN ONE PAN

Minutes to Prepare: 30
    Minutes to Cook: 45
    Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut in bite size pieces
    6 Medium Potatoes, cut in chunks
    1 White Onion, cut into wedges
    5 Cloves Garlic, chopped
    1 cup Sliced Zuchini
    1 cup Sliced Yellow Squash
    1 cup Sliced Mushrooms, raw
    2 TBSP Olive Oil
    Thyme
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Mix potatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic,and mushrooms in large roasting pan. Add salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.

3. Roast vegetables 25 minutes, stirring once during cooking time.

4. Salt and pepper chicken. Add chicken and squash to roasting pan. Stir. Roast 15 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 266.3

Total Fat: 4.8 g
    Cholesterol: 51.3 mg
    Sodium: 360.7 mg
    Total Carbs: 31.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g
    Protein: 24.4 g
  • hockeymom90
    hockeymom90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ROASTED CHICKEN AND VEGGIES IN ONE PAN

Minutes to Prepare: 30
    Minutes to Cook: 45

Ingredients

3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut in bite size pieces
    6 Medium Potatoes, cut in chunks
    1 White Onion, cut into wedges
    5 Cloves Garlic, chopped
    1 cup Sliced Zuchini
    1 cup Sliced Yellow Squash
    1 cup Sliced Mushrooms, raw
    2 TBSP Olive Oil
    Thyme
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Mix potatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic,and mushrooms in large roasting pan. Add salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.

3. Roast vegetables 25 minutes, stirring once during cooking time.

4. Salt and pepper chicken. Add chicken and squash to roasting pan. Stir. Roast 15 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 266.3

Total Fat: 4.8 g
    Cholesterol: 51.3 mg
    Sodium: 360.7 mg
    Total Carbs: 31.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g
    Protein: 24.4 g
  • hockeymom90
    hockeymom90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have loved all of your advice on here! Thank you! The recipe sounds delicious too!
  • ShawnDMuth
    Options
    Imagine this funny cartoon picture ...A person at the Doctor's office and the Doctor is checking him/her out saying you are going to have stop eating all those fruits, vegetables and give up exercise because I can't find anything wrong with you. How am I supposed to give you a drug now?
  • ShawnDMuth
    Options
    As you get better, leaner and healthy it becomes even more important to step up your nutrition. What may have worked at the beginning may not as time goes by because your body needs to be treated even BETTER. At first, maybe just having cereal in the morning worked but later on it will have to improve to something with more NUTRITIONAL punch like eggs and oatmeal. Cereal is processed and not always made from the best foods. Eggs are one of the best protein sources you can consume and oatmeal is one of the best complex carbs. So, you question is WHAT can you improve this WEEK???
  • thewaterwoman
    Options
    I see this all the time and I was one of them to who did this ,
    hope this is helpful to you

Most people who achieve success on body they seek and complete a program they bought and see results
    have
    1) a coach to push them dail ,inspire and helpt keep that commitment
    2) support
    3) accountabilty ( groups , challenge ,coach )

On our own we tender fail and ponder ,and get off track very fast :)

We all buy programs and most of us have many at home right now
    but have never started from beginning to end of program as is from start to finish
    so we keep on buying more ,ther next one "this is going to be the one ":)
    That high for now :)

We do it for a week or 2 , 3 or even 30 days and get bored want something else
    because you did not see it happen fast enough ( when your results for YOUR body
    if you kept on going was right around the corner ) you may need another round

EVERYBODY's body is different and unique design of time of when it all kicks in
    gear and body changes When I decided to finally do P90X for 90 days as it was laid out NO wavering off plan

That's when my body and life changed for me It was deciding , committing to the 90
    days of P90X as it was laid out not wavering off
    Then BBL I started to do my own thing when I got it ,pick this DVD this day and so on and was not getting
    what I wanted and went ''Hello " ( habits) how is this program laid out daily and so I did and then increased my weights
    when I got stronger and then I really starting seeing changes and now ankel weights and hello even more

Programs work and give results and they are designed for a reason ,
    laid out as is to follow for a reason every day a " structured program "

I need this 4 me big time ,If you don"t get the results from a program that you bought
    chances are you never started and went to the finish line!!

Meaning if you talk to someone about a home program that did not work for them ,
    The 'I tried that did not do anything " comment ..Stop next time instead of just going
    OK thanks good to know and I won't buy that then or try that :)

Ask ,how long did you do it for and did you do the program as it is laid out
    and follow healthy meal plan daily ? Ask did you commit to it as it is laid out and follow it
    daily as plan says to do ??? :) Chances are they will say ..No ,I did it for few weeks saw nothing ,or even 30 days
    and no I picked workouts and did this and that :)

Or yes I did it as it was for 30 days saw nothing ,or maybe even longer ..and if they would have just kept going
    there body would have showed them ,would have changed..They were probally 2 feet from seeing it but quit
    EVERYBODYS body is unique and different when your results will show up ,when your body will kick into gear

IT DOES NOT have to be a home fitness program ,that you follow but whatever it is layout a plan and stick to it
    layout a gym plan rountine mixing it up ,but lay it out and commit and stick to it

and most of all I have learned to ask people who have what I want as far as being in shape
    If you are going to the gym and see somone in shape ,if your a female ask a female ,if your a male ask a male who has the body and shpe you seek ..."'Ask whats your gym plan " do you mind if I ask you ?
    They will not mind at all ..BUT don't ask someone who is not in shape YET ,whats your gym plan :)

Same with a home program ,seek out what you want and people who have done it ,had results and
    ask "HOW they did it " do the same thing and you will get results

Hope this makes sense

We want that magic pill ,instant results and when we don't see them fast enough we think its the program
    and its not ...AGAIN Your body has its own thermastat and time when it wants to come on and work with you and its
    different from mine and each of us and we are not seeking to be PERFECT ..I am sure not ,but to be perfectly happy and
    peace within and love who we are and enjoy our journey ..AND changing habits and creating new ones and lifestyle is a process just like getting out of shape and putting on weight ..

That did not happen over night ,and getting out of shape and putting on weight is just habits daily of doing things that put on weight ,makes sense right when you think about it ,BUT we want it off now :)
    So now we are all learning to become aware about this and change this ,create new habits daily that will take it off and keep it off

We let " shinny " objects call us over here there and every where:)
    If it was easy everyone would do it and be healthy and in shape It's NOT always
    easy to stay focused every day and push play or what ever you are choosing of workouts
    Life does show up

BUT it's WORTH it It maybe YOU already have decided and your commited and I know many of you are and so happy for you
    but maybe for some its time to decide and commit once and for all and pull out that program you have or get a new one if you feel you need to and or gym rountine ,create a sctructured GOAL plan for the 90 days ',"or 30 at a time " if you are not following a laid out plan and then follow it daily!
    " Bring it "
    NO QUITTING!!!
    QUITTING Is not an option if your serious about getting in shape and fit and SEXY forever
    And I KNOW all of you are why we are connected ..everything happens for a reason and no coicedences
    we are together here

What I do know is if you stick to a rountine daily ,new habits ,new rituals ,commit for 90 days to it and here in this group ,you will change
    I am here for you and I AM so grateful all of you are here with me on this amazing journey :)
  • jholland99
    jholland99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Looking for a calorie counter and so far I found the polar ft40 in white and it has a lot of good features for $95 on amazon.. I was wondering if there was a cheaper one that does the same or close. Need it to track my caloires for all types of workouts including insanity, zumba, walking outside, and belly dancing.

any advice would help
  • josimmons521
    Options
    Looking for a calorie counter and so far I found the polar ft40 in white and it has a lot of good features for $95 on amazon.. I was wondering if there was a cheaper one that does the same or close. Need it to track my caloires for all types of workouts including insanity, zumba, walking outside, and belly dancing.

any advice would help

I have been using these http://www.numetrex.com/about/heart-rate-monitor-sports-bra for a few years now and I love them. The only problem I have found with them is sometimes when you are running they do not pick up like they should. I have worn them in belly dancing classes and they worked very well (come in different colors so I could hide them under my costume). They cost more than $95 but you get the watch and the sports bra to go with it.