Help me......

Options
I just realized that I do zero weight training....Is that really bad??? I'm just scared I'll bulk up cause genetically in my family, we are very muscular. And in the past, my arms got really buff from weight training....Did I just do it wrong???

I don't own any weights right now, so can I substitute using weights for regular resistance training like floor push-ups???

Help me.....

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi Nyce,
    Did you know that you posted in the hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism forum? I personally couldn't answer your question, but I imagine someone in the general discussion area could.
    Maybe try posting there, or finding a forum that is talking about weight training?
  • Nycie30
    Nycie30 Posts: 23
    Options
    To DebbyLee,

I know where I posted....I have hypothyroidism....I just wanted to ask the people here since we have that in common.....

I didn't know there were restrictions as to what I can post where.....thank you post police.....
  • Nycie30
    Nycie30 Posts: 23
    Options
    :laugh:
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do very little, it is usually whatever I can add into a normal workout. If a video has me doing squats, I pick up the five pound weights and do curls or something at the same time (or you can use bottles of water). Also, there is a website http://hundredpushups.com/ that I have been using to start me with pushups. But it is only 3 days a week.

I want to be toned, but have no desire to be huge. But if it makes my arms swing less I am for it! I found the 30 day shred to be great. A bit of weights with the cardio!

HTH!
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    And no, I don't think it is bad to not do any weight training! I just think it is great if I can make a little muscle to help burn more fat!
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I only do walking daily with the dog. I do warm water movement, mild exercise...that is all. Do what you feel is best for you. Who cares what others want you to do. It is most important to change your eating habits and do some activity that you LIKE every day.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry Nyce!
    I sure didn't mean to be post police... thought you weren't going to get any answers... my bad. I really only meant to be helpful. :smile:
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    HI. You don't "need" weights to do weight training. You can do calisthenics like you mentioned, pushups, sit ups, squats and the like. From what I have read, it does not bulk you up. You will gain more lean muscle which will help you burn more fat. Although it does take quite some time to actually gain muscle, so don't worry about bulking up.