When (Will?) I be bikini ready?

Options
20carrots
20carrots Posts: 279 Member
I'm currently at 142 down from 157 and even though I'm at a healthy BMI etc, I am in no way ready to be in a 2 piece. I have never worn one so I really want to this summer. At what weight do you think I'll be close to ready? I'm 5'4".

Just looking for suggestions/feedback from similar body types, I know there is no "absolute" answer.

Thanks!

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well it's all a question of degrees. You are "ready" now, but obviously you want to look better in one than you would now. So the question becomes how good do you want to look?

I have worn two pieces since I was 160lbs (I'm 5'5"), although I didn't feel good in it. :frown: I carry my extra weight in my booty and hips, FYI, so a two piece or one piece doesn't make much difference to how good I look.

I am already rockin' my two piece at my current weight of 129 (21.5 BMI), although my goal weight is 121. According to the BMI calculator, your weight would have to be 125 until you are "the same" as me currently (where I feel pretty dang good although there is room for improvement), but obviously this is a ROUGH estimate.

My thoughts are that especially if you are working on improving yourself, you shouldn't let your weight stand in the way of doing something you want to do. But we all have been in a situation where we just don't feel confident in our appearance and it is hard to enjoy anything at that point. :ohwell:

Either way, just keep at it, it will only get better! You will know when you are ready, just keep trying them on and re-assessing until you find that perfect one!:flowerforyou:
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 as well. My starting weight was 166 last February when I started losing. I am now down to 134 and feeling pretty good about wearing a 2 piece this year. I even let my husband talk me into getting a string bikini.

I am a little nervous about wearing it. It's been 7 summers since my belly has seen the sun, after having 2 kids. My body is still not wear I ultimately want it to be, with my tummy area being my "problem area", but I have worked hard and I want to rock that bikini!!!

I think you will know when you are ready. Like you said, there is no magic number. It's all about how you feel when you are wearing it. go to a store and try some on....ya never know!
  • sayalikirtani
    Options
    Look girl-
    you are bikini ready when you feel confident. I see girls out there, curves and all looking beautiful- better than I ever will.
    Why? because they are confident and know how to wear it. you can be as thin as humanely possible and still may not feel ready- or look ready. it depends on how you strut your stuff.
  • dixiebabe83
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking what did you do to lose the weight? I just had my 2nd baby and still need to lose the baby weight. I am also new here so not too sure how the sight works yet. tia!
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. "When will I be bikini ready?" I am 5'3" and weigh 128 and am not sure, but DAMN IT! i'm going for it! I have had a child and don't know if my stomach will EVER look like someone who has not had a child, but I am just going to let it all hang out this summer.

So my suggestion to you is to GO FOR IT! Start slow by doing it in front of people that you are truly comfortable with and go from there.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of it has to do with the bikini itself.

I live near the beach in Florida, so bikinis are an important part of my wardrobe. I've found that the cut of the bikini - especially the bottom - makes a huge difference in how flattering it is.

Make sure your bikini bottom fits well, and isn't too small in the waist, which will cause the dreaded muffin top. For me, since I've got curvy thighs even when I'm at my skinniest, I actually think that the skimpier bottoms are more flattering. High cut legs give the impression of longer thighs, and a lower waistband means that it doesn't cut into the lower-belly pooch.

Bikinis that are more of a conservative "mom" cut... they make me look like a mom, when what I want is to look like a hot mama!
  • gmgrink
    gmgrink Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on how you hold your weight, and how muscular you are. I am also 5'4", and even when I weighed 120 I felt awful in a bikini because I was out of shape and basically "skinny fat." Then again, you can be 5'4", have a larger frame, have a lot of muscle, and look amazing in a bikini. So it really depends.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of it has to do with the bikini itself.

Make sure your bikini bottom fits well, and isn't too small in the waist, which will cause the dreaded muffin top. For me, since I've got curvy thighs even when I'm at my skinniest, I actually think that the skimpier bottoms are more flattering. High cut legs give the impression of longer thighs, and a lower waistband means that it doesn't cut into the lower-belly pooch.

^This! I think it's totally worth it to spend a little extra to splurge and get the good suit, especially if it makes you feel more confident. Go to a specialty store (Everything But Water is what we have here but I'm sure there are others) and try on every style (even some you think you can't pull off) because you never know what will be the most flattering until you try.