What do you eat before a long run

Options
jporche77
jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
I was curious what everyone's usual meal was before a long run. Usually if I'm running more that 6 miles I will do whole wheat toast, almond butter and cut up banana.

I am just looking for other ideas.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

If it's a normal weekday run 3-10 miles, I eat an apple mid afternoon, then run after work. So lunch is my last normal meal.

When I do my long weekend runs(up to 20 miles) I wake up & go. No food.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    I don't really have a standard. Sometimes I'll eat grape nuts and a banana or banana and greek yogurt. I have tried a bunch of things but haven't noticed a significant difference in how I feel. What I do notice is the biggest difference for me is a snack after a long run.
  • jporche77
    Options
    Nothing.

If it's a normal weekday run 3-10 miles, I eat an apple mid afternoon, then run after work. So lunch is my last normal meal.

When I do my long weekend runs(up to 20 miles) I wake up & go. No food.

I wish I could do that :wink: Thanks for the response
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can't eat anything before a run. I have to wait atleast 2.5hours after I eat to run or I get a side-ache. On my long runs on Saturday morning, I get up and go.
  • jporche77
    Options
    I don't really have a standard. Sometimes I'll eat grape nuts and a banana or banana and greek yogurt. I have tried a bunch of things but haven't noticed a significant difference in how I feel. What I do notice is the biggest difference for me is a snack after a long run.

Hmm that is pretty big for me too. I have to eat something salty or I have a headache the rest of the day (I'm a huge sweater)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, I'll eat before both of my runs. It is normally at least 90 min before the run and I like to have waffles and some protein. And coffee.

Workouts are normally 10-20 miles
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach for me even for before marathons.

If I have to get up the *kitten* crack o' dawn (for a point to point race) then maybe some bloks or gummy bears as needed. For NYC marathon I had to be up at 5:30 AM to catch a bus and the race didn't start until 9:30 or 10:00 (even more fun when you are on west coast time...)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I like to run mid morning, after i've eaten. I'll give it 3 hours and eat about 1500 calories. I dont eat for anything 10 miles or below. I like to eat a mixture of Oats, Fruit and either some yoghurt or milk, and then probably some peanut butter with toast, for the fats and a spot of protein, Failing that, i tend to just eat rice/pasta and a lean meat source, some veg and maybe a couple of eggs. Ive never tried running 10+ without food, maybe i will sometime.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Not much, if anything. Usually, if I do eat something, it'll be bread with peanut butter, or oatmeal. Just something that'll sit easy, and won't give me cramps or anything like that. I don't do anything with dairy, and if I have something more substantial, I always wait about two hours before heading out, or I just feel sluggish.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Depends on the the length of the long run. Shorter ones I might have an Entemann's chocolate chip cereal bar and some coffee. But pre marathon or any 20+ training run, I down a Gu and some Gatorade/water and that's it.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    6-12 miles: 2 servings of cereal. Then an English muffin with dark chocolate pb and marshmallow fluff post-run :)

While training for a marathon, before my 20+ runs, I ate an English muffin with an egg and jelly (don't hate!), 2 servings of cereal, coffee and a poptart. I kept throwing up in my mouth so I finally figured out I had to eat like 2 hours before.
  • jporche77
    Options
    Thanks guys for the responses. I have only ever done half marathon distances. But of the course the goal is to get better and stronger and hopefully one day a Marathon :)
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Nothing within 2-3 hours of my long runs. But I NEED my coffee (black) before, if I am running early.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have 3 cups of coffee and a chaboni yogurt between 9-11am then run around noon. Sometimes I have a ricecake right befor I head out the door. The coffee does amazing things for me :drinker:
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can't eat anything before a run. I have to wait at least 2.5hours after I eat to run or I get a side-ache. On my long runs on Saturday morning, I get up and go.

This.... exactly....

If I do a long run on the weekends... which for me is 8-12 miles, I do take a PowerBar Energy Gel with me and take it mid way thru my run.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm in the minority here....I like to EAT before a long run. I can maybe go 8-10 miles on nothing or very little (and by very little I mean a banana or something) but I guarantee you my stomach will be grumbling by the end.

For my long runs (15 miles+) I get up at least 1.5 hours before I got out and eat a big breakfast (like 700 calories or so), digest a bit and I'm on my merry way.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Porridge oats, banana, sometimes wholemeal toast with peanut butter and coffee!
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Embarrassed to admit this: I eat a frosted cherry Poptart. It's got tons of carbs and sugar, 200 calories. I'll eat this 2-3 hours before heading out for my long run Saturday mornings.

It's not at all healthy, but it works for me. Plus, it's a super naughty treat that I'd never eat under any other condition (unless I know I'm going to burn over 1,000 calories that day), so it makes me look forward to long runs!

Oh yes, and coffee.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i'll just eat toast with some jelly that is about it... if i am going longer that 6 i take water and Infinit with me.