Winning!

Options
Trying not to clog up the board with randomness, but I know there are a lot of scared people out there, so I'm going to post some wins. I've been eating 2,000 calories a day for nearly a month now. The scale (weight nor body fat) hasn't budged but is starting to trend downward, and my clothes aren't any tighter, so I'm still being patient on that front, but:

1. I went out for dinner to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday last night and most for sure went over my calorie goal, and I WAS OKAY WITH IT AND ENJOYED MYSELF.

2. I just received my order from the Athleta catalog. All bikinis. First. Time. Ever.

3. Colleague sees me making a giant turkey sandwich with avocado and cheese and tomato in the kitchen, says, "say, what are you doing to get so skinny?" (I tell him eating well and exercise, and he says, "oh, the hard way.")

4. I slept like a baby last night.

Others have said it, but this is such a more sustainable, humane way to live. Sure, it might take longer but I'm enjoying the **** out of it. :)

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Trying not to clog up the board with randomness, but I know there are a lot of scared people out there, so I'm going to post some wins. I've been eating 2,000 calories a day for nearly a month now. The scale (weight nor body fat) hasn't budged but is starting to trend downward, and my clothes aren't any tighter, so I'm still being patient on that front, but:

1. I went out for dinner to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday last night and most for sure went over my calorie goal, and I WAS OKAY WITH IT AND ENJOYED MYSELF.

2. I just received my order from the Athleta catalog. All bikinis. First. Time. Ever.

3. Colleague sees me making a giant turkey sandwich with avocado and cheese and tomato in the kitchen, says, "say, what are you doing to get so skinny?" (I tell him eating well and exercise, and he says, "oh, the hard way.")

Others have said it, but this is such a more sustainable, humane way to live. Sure, it might take longer but I'm enjoying the **** out of it. :)

I feel exactly the same way!!

It was hard to get over the rush mentality of needing the weight gone now. ANd I look in the mirror and wish it could happen faster, but I think of how much happier and energized I have been in the last few weeks and taking the slower way is going to be much more enjoyable.
  • roughtown
    roughtown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Woo another Burlington resident! But I have to agree with everything you said, I was scared when all the BMR / TDEE measurments had me eating close to 3000cal a day, but after restricitng myself to 1600cal a day for months I have so much more energy now and just feel generally better about all my food choices. I actually have to try and reach that goal but I feel healthier and also that I'm getting more out of my workouts. My scale hasn't moved either, but it also hasn't gone up, and I can definitely see myself on this plan for the long run, just have to stick with it and keep tracking.

P.S. that turkey sandwich construction sounds amazing and I might have to steal it
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Woo another Burlington resident! But I have to agree with everything you said, I was scared when all the BMR / TDEE measurments had me eating close to 3000cal a day, but after restricitng myself to 1600cal a day for months I have so much more energy now and just feel generally better about all my food choices. I actually have to try and reach that goal but I feel healthier and also that I'm getting more out of my workouts. My scale hasn't moved either, but it also hasn't gone up, and I can definitely see myself on this plan for the long run, just have to stick with it and keep tracking.

P.S. that turkey sandwich construction sounds amazing and I might have to steal it

What up, BTV? :) Then you will appreciate that I accidentally ended up out to dinner two nights in a row...at El Gato and Bluebird. Mmmmmm. That would have been a nightmare on a 1,200 calorie diet. 2,000, not so big a deal!

I forgot to add that my other win yesterday morning was that I was doing burpees like a mo'fo. Uh, those used to be hard? (Okay, a lot of them are still hard!)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ooh ooh ooh!!! my turn!!!..........

1. went to a friend's house for some pool time this weekend. i felt good in my bathing suit - not one bit self conscious. i actually ran around the pool and gave no thought at all to my thighs. while running around the pool, i tried to run up on the diving board and jump off and instead fell and scraped the hell out of my knee, leg, ankle and toes.....but we're not talking about my general penchant for dumbassery.....we're talking winning here....willingness to run in bathing suit = winning.

2. my scale is trending up a bit....the winning part is that i'm not freaked out by that. instead, i am just acknowledging that i need to possibly tweak some things. no biggie.

3. even though the scale is being kinda b*tchy, my measurements are the same.

4. i'm wearing shorts again. i've pretty much avoided them like the plague for the last 5 years.

5. this is just a theory but.....i think my hormones are more balanced.....i think this because my mood, my skin and my sex life are better.

gotta agree with slammy.....i am absolutely enjoying every minute of this.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I love this post! :)
  • roughtown
    roughtown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Both excellent choices! As soon as I switched to this plan I went to the new Five Guys and splurged on a Regular Cheesburger and boy was it delicious, if not a commonly repeatable offense haha. I recently started running for the first time in my life and the bike path has been indespensible for me wanting to get out and actually enjoy doing it.
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great post! I especially love #1. I am gradually letting go of the guilt too. Tell me more about where you ate out. I grew up next door to BVT and lived on Maple St. for a couple of years after college before moving out of VT. I'm so out of touch with the restaurant scene now.

Thanks for the motivation to think about some positives.

1. I've been eating an average of 1900 cals/day for about 3 weeks, with some spike days, and I haven't gained anything.
    2. I was getting dressed one day and MH said, "Hey, I can see your abs!" I definitely still have plenty of fat covering them, but I have visible abs for the first time in my life!
    3. My splurges feel much easier to control now that I have a larger calorie budget to fit them into.
    4. I'm not grazing on whatever I can find now that I am "allowed" to eat more.
    5. After years of counting points and then calories, I finally feel like I'm really taking care of myself.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    good to know!

off the pt-- I'm from Vermont :X I moved to Brattleboro, VT when I was 9 years old and grew up there until I graduated from HS. I also lived in Burlington on School st for 1.5 year.. ;);) I'm living in Indianapolis, IN right now though!!
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! You guys rock! For me it's been about not feeling hungry and having more energy than I have in months. I can fit my protein in without feeling that I have to sacrifice somewhere else.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! You guys rock! For me it's been about not feeling hungry and having more energy than I have in months. I can fit my protein in without feeling that I have to sacrifice somewhere else.

SOOOOO this.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just started today, so this post is timely! Good to know I have some awesome NSV ahead!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I feel exactly the same way!!

It was hard to get over the rush mentality of needing the weight gone now. ANd I look in the mirror and wish it could happen faster, but I think of how much happier and energized I have been in the last few weeks and taking the slower way is going to be much more enjoyable.

^^^^^THISSSSS^^^^^^

"Humane"~ what a perfect way to put it!! As Dr. Phil would say: what were we THINKING????
    It's just so nice to not have to WORRY about all the aspects of FOOD: if we eat at home, if we eat out, if we eat at someone's home, what to do, what to do, what if I go over, I'll skip breakfast, I'll skip lunch, OMG TOMORROW IS WEIGH-IN DAY, what if I don't lose these 2/10s of a pound, I'm a pig, I'm a slob, I'm weak, I'm lazy, I'm hopeless, I'm disgusting.........

Sound familiar??????
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    And Slammy, my friend has a vacation home in Londonderry Vermont and I am lucky enough to be able to visit it at least once a year!!

LOVE ALL THINGS VERMONT!!!!
  • StarletteS
    StarletteS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate between 3-5 pounds daily since I have been eating 1999 calories, but........ In 4 weeks I have lost 1.75 inches off my waist and 1.50 inches off my hips!
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    Great post! I especially love #1. I am gradually letting go of the guilt too. Tell me more about where you ate out. I grew up next door to BVT and lived on Maple St. for a couple of years after college before moving out of VT. I'm so out of touch with the restaurant scene now.

Thanks for the motivation to think about some positives.

1. I've been eating an average of 1900 cals/day for about 3 weeks, with some spike days, and I haven't gained anything.
    2. I was getting dressed one day and MH said, "Hey, I can see your abs!" I definitely still have plenty of fat covering them, but I have visible abs for the first time in my life!
    3. My splurges feel much easier to control now that I have a larger calorie budget to fit them into.
    4. I'm not grazing on whatever I can find now that I am "allowed" to eat more.
    5. After years of counting points and then calories, I finally feel like I'm really taking care of myself.

So much VT love on this group! I should have known I would like you people. :)

The Bluebird Tavern is a "gastropub" that's been open about three years. They used to be on Riverside out where Tortilla Flats was, and just last year moved to Saint Paul Street, pretty much across from the VPB. El Gato is new too and is on the south part of Church Street just off of Main. Lots of new restaurants around, BTV has become quite a food town! Luckily it's also a place where healthy food is readily available and people are generally active - makes a healthy lifestyle not that hard to lead. Now, if only it weren't such a good beer town.... :)
  • jmmscccslp
    jmmscccslp Posts: 42
    Options
    I love this! I am just starting to feel good about how I'm eating. The sense of urgency about weight loss is fading and I'm feeling good and in it for the long haul! yay us!