I Want to Hear Your Story!

Options
angelcop74
angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
Introduce yourself, and tell us some of your story! My diary and profile are open to friends, so add me too!

Replies

• angelcop74
    Options
    I'll start: I was diagnosed with Hypertension just under 3 weeks ago, and i currently feel better than i have in years! haha I'll elaborate..
    My BP at the time was 170/100.. which is basically really scary bad.. Oh, at the time i weighed 200lbs -- and I'm 5'4"! I know right! Well, it's the same old story. Ive been up and down my whole life, but never THIS Up. I got married, and got comfortable, and then bored, and then i was so uncomfortable in my own skin that i decided i didnt care.. If that sounds like depression, you might be right! I havent ever been diagnosed.. I just plain didnt see any reason why i should care. Looking good? Ehhh, whatever. I dont go out any more, i'm almost 40, who cares?
    The day the nurse practitioner at the clinic i went to for a case of bronchitis, told me my BP numbers, and then proceeded to explain how 911 works, changed my life! I went home and gave my cigarettes to my husband (who still wont quit..), and re-evaluated everything i was doing. She told me to immediately stop taking my Claritin D, which i had been taking every day for the last 4+yrs. While i was at Walmart picking up my meds for my bronchitis i bought decaff coffee, and while i waited i started perusing product labels.
    I can tell you that almost instantly i felt completely different. I havent done much research on it, and i dont know if the decongestant helped get me TO the Hypertension, or if it just exacerbated the situation but stopping that pill turned me into someone i havent seen in a long time! Even my coworkers were commenting about how much more energy i seemed to have, how much more upbeat i seemed. My husband mentioned how easily i awoke in the mornings when i usually would hit the snooze button multiple times, and the headaches... OH the headaches.. I had been suffering from headaches multiple times per week, sometimes as often as 4 times a week. I was popping ibuprofen daily, and taking Excedrin Migraine whenever i had a whopper. I havent had a headache in 3 weeks!
    I'm not on any blood pressure medication. I dont have insurance or a reg doctor.. havent for a few years now.. probably how things got this bad. SO, ive been working out again, walking, weights, and watching what i eat. I track my food daily with the help of MFP and i try to keep my Sodium intake below 1500mg, the goal for those with High Blood Pressure, according to the Mayo Clinic website. But THAT is the hard part, isnt it?
  • Ive been battling with chronic. Hypertension. For
    10 years I use to get so tired of taking meed that from time to time I abruptly stop meed not a good idea I landed in intensive. Care with b-p 299" over 130 so I take my meed I wish I could get off this darn med I have to take 2 different. Pills but I'm not a doctor. All I can do is do the best I can everyday :heart:
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with high blood pressure after a trip to the ER. It scared the crap out of him. He thought he was dying. He is currently on medication. The problem....I have normal blood pressure and exercise regularly, eat well, and am very active in a healthy lifestyle even before my husbands diagnosis. I am all about getting him off of meds and giving him whatever he needs. Well....everything has sodium in it! I have found it difficult to find things he would enjoy that doesn't have a crap load of salt. I feel like I don't get support from him even though I am doing this for his health. I am the bad guy. He has his own personal chef (me) but I feel like he doesn't appreciate the things I do. I need some advice as to what he may be going through or what I can do.
    The positives: He has started to exercise 2-3 days and he has cut out fast food for the most part. He is also drinking more water...oh I had to find a flavored one with the lowest sodium. I found Fruit2o at sams with 70mg per bottle. Not great but better than a lot of others.
    I would definitely like to hear about ideas and products that you guys have found that help you with the cutback of sodium but have flavor. I don't get any support from my family or his so I'm hoping I can contribute to your struggles and you can help me help my husband.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Wow @Hood25! I'm sorry you're going through that! It really doesnt sound like he's READY to change yet. You know how they say that about the "Aha! Moment"? When the doctor told me i could have a stoke at any time with this kind of BP, i thought, "I am NOT ready to be a vegetable! There is too much I've still never done." And i went home that night and changed everything. I'm not saying it's easy. I am a willful person, but you have to want it or you will slip right back to old habits.
    Can i ask, does he also smoke? I did, and i quit cold turkey, but my husband still smokes (which drives me crazy!) and he can't TASTE anything. It has to be spiced beyond the realm of normal parameters for him to taste it. That could be one problem he's having..
    I've replaced Salt with tons of other spices. Lots of pepper and garlic. Lemon juice is a great one because it adds a tartness to everything.. Other foods i've practically given up unless they're mixed with something else. Potatoes for one. w/o salt they are SO bland i cant take it! That was a heartbreaker. I used to love them.
    All in all i've been lucky. I do the cooking and my husband has enjoyed most of the meals i've made since changing over.
    Have you tried crystal light? It's low and good. My husband and my son both drink it all the time bc they dont like water much. haha
    Add me as a friend and feel free to check out products from my food diary, and if you have any specific things he's been bad about giving up let me know and ill see if anyone knows of any good alternatives :)
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    My name is Scott, I work 2nd shift in the computer industry. I most sit in a cubicle all night monitorinig databases and fixing network issues. I'm 6'- 4" and 320lbs. When I met my wife 12 years ago I was 220lbs. I blame it on the whole "happily married syndrom". :happy:

I have been battling high blood pressure for the past 13 years. every couple years it seems like my meds quit working and my bp skyrockets and the cardiologist has to change my meds. A month ago it happened again, only it took more than one medicine to get it down. This week they added a 5th pill for me to take every morning and I have another 2 to take at night. If your curious, my current cocktail of drugs is: Nifedipine, Exforge, Metoprolol, Clonidine, Minoxidil and HCTZ. A month ago i was only taking 2 pills a day! I never had side effects before but now I occasionly get headaches and dizzyness (side effect of nifedemine)... but I don't want to complain because the bp is doing decent finally.

Anyways a couple people I work with use this app to count calories, so I decided to try it out and track my sodium intake. One day of eating fast food for all meals had me at 11k of sodium. I am now making my own meals and eating more fruits and vegetables. I was just managing to get my sodium around the 1500 goal when i had my last Doctors appointment and he told me to that along with low sodium I should try to get LOTS of potassium. I hadn't even been tracking that! Once i added it to my chart I realized i had never even reached the MFP goal of 3,500, much less "lot's more"!

This eating healthy thing is tuff! but hopefully worth it. I'm only 1 week in, but I'm trying.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    potassium?? Good info! Thanks! I take a multivitamin but it doesnt have potassium :/ Never noticed that.. Hmm

Logging food REALLY helps! Seeing it in black and white in front of you is such an eye opener! 11k in Sodium! Wow! I had a similar eye opener when i read the back of the frozen pizza i'd been eating once a week: 1000mg per serving! And you know i wasnt eating just one serving! ugh..
    Feel free to add me as a friend and troll my diary for food ideas any time! I'm no expert, but i am a control freak so im pretty good with my intake :)
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    working late on a friday night... boo!!! anyways, if you want to check out what a day of fast food eating looks like, check out my diary for march 12.

surprisingly, one the worst sodium foods for me was something i thought was healthy. a 12" subway grilled chicken sandwhich on wheat bread with: provolone, mustard, spinach, jalapenos, tomatoes and black olives. 2,280 sodium!!!
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am trying to nip this situation in the bud. A few years back when sick my BP went up into the 160/98 area and my doctor flagged it on my file and called me back in. I have since been able to keep it in the high normal range (am in Canada so that is 130/139 and 85/89 My goal is to get it down naturally and not have to resort to meds, may be a slippery slope since it runs in our family but I want to hold off as long as I can being medicated.
    Stopped smoking quite awhile ago so mainly now am trying to lose weight, reduce stress, reduce sodium etc.
    Glad to be part of this group.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Scott! I know how you feel! So many foods i would have thought of as "Go to" foods for losing weight, i can no longer eat because of the sodium! Makes "Eating light" more difficult :/
    Really the only way to win is to eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I still need to work on this. But i usually eat meat and some kind of veg for dinner.. But low sodium seems to be all about fresh foods.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Hi Scarlett!
    Im in a similar situation.. i was ill and went to the doctor and had a 170/100 BP.. I dont have a reg doctor or health insurance so im going all natural. *crosses fingers*
    Congrats on quitting smoking! It's a tough one, and still a struggle every day. The biggest for me will be stress.. I'm what they used to refer to as "high strung" haha So, i need to work on that, but I'll get there. If you have any stress tips, please share!
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hypertension is a big problem for me. I'm currently taking four BP meds at maximum dosages and my BP is consistently 160/100.

Nearly a year ago my doctor recommended that I look into the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) and I'm starting my DASH diet action plan tomorrow. The diet focuses on consuming calcium, magnesium and potassium rich foods that have been shown to help lower BP.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    i got some info on the DASH when i was diagnosed, but i never fully looked into it. I was hoping to find a book or something but all i could find was some spotty online info..
    Keep us posted, and add us! Most of the group is active, and supportive, and We'd love any info you have as well!
  • nessamelda
    nessamelda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had hypertension since my last pregnancy 13 years ago- my blood pressure went up from 125/75 to 170/95 in the last month of the pregnancy and never came down much again. I tried diet and exercise -I managed to get my weight down 15 kg and kept it there for several years, but eventually the GP suggested that I ought to go on blood pressure medication. Unfortunately the medication doesn't work terribly well and I rarely do better than 140/85 and it's getting less effective over time as I get older and the weight is back to where it was just after I had my last baby! So I'm trying to reduce the weight, and also this time seriously reduce sodium and caffeine.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    here is the link for a printable booklet from the "National heart Lung and Blood Institute" of the Dash Diet.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Thanks Scott! I'll have to read up on this when i have some time. Prob tomorrow after Zumba!
  • MargoPrior
    MargoPrior Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My name is Margo and 8 months ago (on the 2nd of this month) I had a rude awakening. A little history first: I was a stay at home mom the whole time my children were in school but lived a far from sedentary lifestyle. My son was in football and my daughter in chorus and that kept us pretty busy, as well as their million friends who were always coming in and our from our home on any given weekend.
    A few years after they graduated we moved to large family home where the next winter we raised pigs, ON a HILL. Up and down that hill with one and two 5 lb buckets of feed, twice a day. Cleaning the house and feeding the pigs would seem like enough to keep my heart healthy and pumping but obviously it wasn't. I always was trying a new diet but always seemed to go back to around 180 or so, on my 5' frame, and stick there for years at a time. We love to eat, a lot! Even though I never seemed to gain weight but I also did not lose weight, even with all the walking I did. Fried foods, salty snacks, fast food and a history of heart problems, took its toll on me. At 42 years of age, on September 1, 2011 I was told I needed emergency surgery, single bypass surgery and the very next day I had that surgery.
    Since then my life has been a whirlwind of issues, problems, ups and downs, happy moments and depression. My blood pressure they found was high and put on bp meds. I was fine until a few months ago, not losing weight though and I had actually gained weight after my surgery, up to nearly 40 pounds, now back down 10 of those so far, even though I still have about 70 pounds more to go to be a healthier weight.
    In the last few months I have had some issues though. I had been having anxiety issues since my surgery and it was suggested that I have PTSD. Since then my blood pressure decided to hit the 160/100 marks again and the doctors changed and doubled my bp medicine and put me on anxiety medicine (sertraline). I have had one incident the other night when I seriously thought I would need to take my nitro fro the first time ever but I was able to finally calm my beating, hurting, tired heart and body. The weird thing is that this time it just started from a stressful situation, not work any other exertion. Who knew stress could be that deadly?
    We started out trying hard to stay on the low sodium diet and it worked ok for a few months but slowly we have went to more 'regular' eating, with adding salads and more veggies to our meals, but the sodium has crept back in. We are wanting to work on adding more veggies to our meals and we do not use salt at all but there are enough foods (especially canned and boxed foods) that have more than I need on any given day so I try hard to not eat much of anything if I can, unless I know I will be ok with it. I am still having a few issues with anxiety and it has been suggested I hold off on going out in public as much until I get my anxiety in check unless I am with others who know of how I am. I worry but try not to, about having to have more surgeries and if losing weight will help get me off any of my meds, especially since my doctor told me to plan on being on all of my meds, except for my anxiety medicine for the rest of my life and my anxiety meds from 4 months on, depending on how I do when they start weaning me off of it.
    My only other problem is that since my surgery, I am tired, a LOT. napping during the seems to help my moods and with staying up later than 9 pm at night. I can hardly do anything, from grocery shopping to gardening for very short times, without getting exhausted. Even little chores like standing up to the dishes seems to wear me out. I try to do some form of walking or exercise a few times a week but some days its hard to muster up the energy to do anything. I keep trying tho. I am determined to not let it keep me down for too long. At least as long as I am able.
    So far, I have been pretty terrible at keeping a log of what I've been eating but I hope to get at it, a little at a time :-) With the support of my family, my daughter who is on this site too, I hope to be a success, one step, one day at a time :-)
  • ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    welcome meprior - I have found tracking my nutrition on this site very beneficial and educational. Though I always warn everyone to double check the values when you enter your food. A lot of people on here only track calories and/or carbs so those are the only values entered.
    I would also highly recomend finding a therapist who is licensed in using ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy) for your anxieties. It helped my wife immensely, I sat in on a couple sessions and couldn't believe how fast it worked. She was in a bad car wreck (not her fault) and was scared to drive afterwards. Just one session with ECT and she was driving again.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Hi Margo!
    Im so happy you're doing better!
    I can relate to your anxiety issues. About 4 yrs ago i started suffering from anxiety seemingly out of nowhere. I would have panic attacks and lock my self in the bathroom to cry at work, etc.. My face and neck would flush uncontrollably in public.. When i was diagnosed with Hypertension in Feb (170/100) i quit alot of stuff immediately. The one i find had the most impact was also the one i thought was totally innocuous: My allergy meds. I had been taking Claritin-D every days for the last 4-5 yrs, and the nurse told me i had to quit it right then no questions asked. And as soon as i did my whole life changed.
    Since then i sleep through the night for the first time in years, and wake up early on my own (730-930, from 11-12), i have tons of energy, i lost about 10lbs within 2 weeks w/o even trying. my face size was cut in half, my hands and feet stopped swelling (for the most part unless i overload on salt for the day..) And all in all my overall mood did a complete 180.
    I hope you get as much out of the site as i have. And i've decided that if i work out, and feel good, and can live life, im ok with not losing a ton of weight. I'm just trying to get more well. :)
    Good luck!
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... I am a nurse (40 yrs) so you think I would know better. I know the right way to eat and exercise to be healthy, but I continue to eat foods that are not healthy, right alongside foods that are good for me. I LOVE the wrong foods, and merely like the healthier foods. Annoying, but true. When faced with the choice of ice cream or fruit...I will pick the ice cream 99% of the time. Now I am on my way to be diagnosed with pre-diabetes along with my hypertension. Scary? Yes. Worried? Yes. I really want to be the victor in this war of the taste buds. But it is very difficult. I have arthritis which makes it difficult to work out very vigorously, but my ancient dog and I manage to log some miles during the week. I also enjoy gardening, and have a recumbent exercise bike in front of the TV. I enjoyed reading everyone's stories, and am excited to get know all of you.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    Hi Krythie! Good luck and keep us posted! Feel free to add us for support!