Books About Eating Disorders "Beyond a Shadow of a Diet"

Options
I'm an avid reader and I'm really interested in trying to find the source of my weight issues, so will be reading books about eating disorders.

The first one I'm reading is called "Beyond a Shadow of a Diet" by Ellen Frankel. I picked it up at the library. I'm on Chapter 2 and it's quite enlightening.

I'd like to find a group of people willing to read the book at the same time so we can discuss.

Happy reading! :glasses:

Debbie

Replies

• DebinAZ
    DebinAZ Posts: 30
    Options
    Learned in Chapter One:

Two major factors that lead people to reach for food when they are not physically hungry:

1. DEPRIVATION – If you are told you can’t have something (or eat something), then that is what you want.

Dieters, or “restrictive eaters”, have lost touch with the internal hunger and fullness cues that are necessary for normal eating. Dieting induces chaotic emotional states and eating patterns that deprive people of the ability to regulate themselves. As a dieter breaks out of the restraints, she goes for her “forbidden foods”. Overeating triggers guilt, depression, anxiety, shame and low self-esteem.

2. AFFECT REGULATION - Inability to manage certain emotional states leads to overeating. Transfer other problems to blame ourselves for overeating, pinpointing overeating as the issue rather than the true issue. The minute the compulsive eater turns to food to calm herself, she loses access to the original feelings.

We are repeatedly encouraged to compare ourselves to an unrealistic and unhealthy view of thinness, which causes negative body image. We yell at ourselves for going off of our diet – more negative thoughts. Body hatred fuels the diet-binge cycle. Losing weight does not solve complex personal issues.
  • DebinAZ
    Options
    Here is what I learned in Chapter Two: The Therapist Trap -

• 50%-80% of body make up is genetic
    • The body has a predisposition to hold on to fat during famine in “feast or famine” evolution. Now body does not know whether to hold on to it due to famine or dieting.
    • Each body has a natural “set point” (how much food our specific body needs). Dieting slows down the metabolism so we can’t tell where the set point is anymore. Within 24-48 hours after a restrictive diet begins, metabolic rate slows by 15%-30% to conserve.
    • “Ideal” weights and labels were created by the insurance industry in order to make more money (and were based on incorrect data).
    • There are many studies indicating that obesity is not unhealthy, and that those who are thin or underweight are at a higher risk of morbidity.

Weightism, or fat oppression, is one of the last socially sanctioned prejudices of our time. There was a time when women’s bodies were not treated as objects but were honored by their spiritual properties…but over time, this connection has been lost and repressed.

Rather than internalizing prejudices about weight (fueled by ignorance), which usually lead to feelings of shame, reject them, and begin to challenge the messages. This is empowering and leads to emotional well-being.

Society encourages women to focus on their bodies as the place for implementing change, rather than on society at large which continues to place women in a subordinate role. They are taught to count calories rather than count themselves.

The notion that a diet will lead to increased self-esteem and a happier life is more fantasy than fact. Research shows that dieting itself causes psychological disturbances including anxiety, mood swings, anger, self-loathing, and depression.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the summaries! I am getting this book tomorrow and getting caught up. This will be great!
  • DebinAZ
    Options
    OK, I'll hold off after this Chapter so you can catch up. Chapter 3 got me just a little scared so we'll need to hold hands if we decide to jump off this cliff together!

What I learned in Chapter 3:

Eat based on physical hunger only in order to get back in touch with natural hunger signals. Stop dieting. Stop restricting yourself. If craving food when not physically hungry, there is an emotion that needs to be dealt with.

Children naturally know when to eat because they have no preconceived notion about food. They eat what they need when they need it (unless forced to do otherwise). Trust your “child” to eat when she needs to. The more reliable you are as a self-feeder, the more emotionally secure you become, and the easier it is to understand emotional issues.

Levels of hunger:

Starving,
    very hungry,
    somewhat hungry,
    hungry,
    not hungry/not full,
    somewhat full,
    full,
    very full,
    stuffed

EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT……
    AS LONG AS YOU ARE PHYSICALLY “STOMACH HUNGRY”

1. Physical hunger – Eat when hungry or somewhat hungry. Growling/empty feeling. Check in with your stomach every 15 minutes. If you eat past fullness, try to understand why.
    2. Match food to craving – Ask yourself “what am I hungry for?” Think about types of food (crunchy, salt, sweet, etc) to narrow it down.
    3. No “good” or “bad” food – Get rid of judgment. If you like ice cream and you are physically hungry and you are craving ice cream, eat ice cream.
    4. Stock the pantry – Stock with the foods you like, including “forbidden” foods. Overstock so you will have more than you can possibly eat in one or two days. Break the deprivation issue.
    5. Keep food available at all times – As you eat your stock, restock so that you have more than you can possibly eat in one or two days.
    6. Stop when full – May be hard to recognize after so many years of dieting. Ask yourself if you are hungry or somewhat hungry after a couple of bites. Stop when satisfied. If don’t stop, then try to understand why you didn’t stop.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Don't hold off reading. We can still discuss when I catch up :happy:
  • alyecat
    alyecat Posts: 28
    Options
    Try reading "wasted" one day. It's a good book. I can't remember the name of the author right now, though.
  • DebinAZ
    Options
    That looks like an interesting book - I found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wasted-A-Memoir-Anorexia-Bulimia/dp/0060930934
  • bekahl
    bekahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing a 14 year old anorexic girl at the moment and it is absolutely shocking me. Her thought processes are so disturbed that she is even struggling to drink water and is limiting her intake. This is because on eating disorder units there is a 'trend' of the patients drinking lots of water prior to being weighed. It makes them weigh more. Obviously we know that this is temporary as the body naturally only holds onto enough water to function, any excess it just gets rid of. However, these anorexic patients then get the idea into their head that they weigh more after drinking water therefore water must put weight on you. It's truly awful. She says that if she could live her life anyway that she wants then she would work towards her goal weight of 50lbs!! She is currently 88lbs. However, she says that she knows that she would probably be dead before she reached 50lbs but can't control her thoughts and feelings anymore. She says that Anorexia has taken over now and she is under it's control.
    I just can't get my head around it all and I feel soo sorry for this little girl. She reports feeling constantly dizzy, poor concentration, pain in her kidney area, constipation, headache, stomach ache. Yet despite these she still restricts her food and fluid, and is constantly micro exercising.