Balance Help and

Options
Hi! I just started phase two and I still cannot balance on any of the moves that require one leg! I have never taken yoga or anything and all during phase 1 I needed to keep both feet on the floor. I end up falling around so much that I miss most of the reps with the weight. But with both feet down I can get the form with the weight but then am I still getting the same workout?

My question is does anyone know or think its ok to do the moves with both feet down? Am I cheating it? Or do I just keep falling around and miss the weight reps but try to maintain balance?
Thanks!

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!

I have MS which affects my balance so I modify these moves all the time.

Sometimes I keep a foot down or lightly place my hand on a chair so I get the "feel' of doing the move on one leg.

Don't worry about a thing, you're doing fine!!
  • allibean15
    allibean15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Absolutely!!

I have MS which affects my balance so I modify these moves all the time.

Sometimes I keep a foot down or lightly place my hand on a chair so I get the "feel' of doing the move on one leg.

Don't worry about a thing, you're doing fine!!

Thanks for the motivation...your advice means a lot...my dad had MS and I know how difficult balance can be! I will def try holding on a bit for support. Thanks for advice!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's definitely better to put your other foot on the floor and get the reps done than to spend the whole exercise just trying to keep your balance, so what you're doing is absolutely fine. If you *can* try to balance for short bursts at a time, you'll get better at it.

At the start of phase 2 I had a ridiculous hard time holding some of the one leg balance moves, but now I'm in the last two weeks of phase 3 and my balance has improved a ton (I still wobble some, but it's a definite improvement).

Great job on making it this far, and keep up the hard work!
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try to do as many as you can with holding your leg up/out....it will help you in building your balance. Or even if you cannot extend it as far as Jillian wants you to just watch Natalie (the tall girl with the black hair), I notice she doesn't have such great balance and she keep her foot/leg lower than the others.

I have pushed myself with some of the workouts and have noticed myself building more reps as I go along.
  • allibean15
    allibean15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and motivation! I hate to say I "fell off" this week and did not do a full week. And with the holiday weekend coming up Im thinking of just scrapping this week and starting Phase 2 all over beginning Monday...hopefully refreshed and ready to take on the balance challenge! :)