A newbie with a few questions...

Options
jaydensmommy2010
jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
Hi everyone! I am new to this and have been trying to lose weight for the past year!!!!!! I have not lost an ounce, only gained. I have been just tracking what I normally eat, not dieting at all, and I still only net around 1000-1400 calories, then I exercise and burn some off. It is now sinking in my head that maybe I should try eating more. My problem is, how can I eat more with out eating more junk?? I am eating normal foods now, definitely not very "healthy", but they still seem to be low in calories. I have figured out my BMR and TDEE, and they are way more than what I am eating now. BMR= 1789 TDEE= 2460 minus 15% is 2091. I picked lightly active which I have no idea if that is correct or not. I am a stay at home mom and exercise about 5 days a week. If someone could tell me if its ok to eat "junk" in order to increase my calories I would greatly appreciate any feed back! Thank you!!

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are EATING the 2100 calories, not NETTING 2100 calories. If you are working out 5 days a week and based on what I know about SAHMs they are not lightly active. Try using the scooby site since it allows you to put in hours of exercise which is a more quantitative definition of activity.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also, I don't recommend 'junk' food to fill calories since you also want to try to hit your macros. Junk food makes that harder. If you aren't hitting your calories, try eating more often, use full fat options for yogurt/cottage cheese/milk/etc and get some good fats in your diet like olive oil, avocado, nuts, peanut butter.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are EATING the 2100 calories, not NETTING 2100 calories. If you are working out 5 days a week and based on what I know about SAHMs they are not lightly active. Try using the scooby site since it allows you to put in hours of exercise which is a more quantitative definition of activity.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also, I don't recommend 'junk' food to fill calories since you also want to try to hit your macros. Junk food makes that harder. If you aren't hitting your calories, try eating more often, use full fat options for yogurt/cottage cheese/milk/etc and get some good fats in your diet like olive oil, avocado, nuts, peanut butter.

^^^THIS!!

I agree, your activity level seems to low. If you're a Mom and you workout, you have moderate activity and maybe even high activity. Just to put some numbers to this, if you exercise more than 301 calories (2091 TDEE - 1789 BMR), then you need to eat more so that your net is at least 1789.

Regarding macros, try to increase your protein so that you're at a 40/30/30 split (carbs/protein/fats). Protein will help you feel fuller longer. I have to drink 2 protein shakes a day to help me with my macros.

Hope that helps.
  • burbanum
    burbanum Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree..more protein is helping me for sure. Also, find ways to get healthy treats in not as much junk. For example, peanut butter with carrots wierd but awesome! Or greek yogurt with chocolate chips thrown in, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a little stevia...It is amazing! Your body will feel better and run more efficiently on whole and healthier foods. Good luck on this journey!

Brittany
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the ideas ladies! My biggest problem is even eating what I wan,t I'm still only eating about 1100 calories for the entire day. Where am I supposed to get another 1000 calories?!!!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the ideas ladies! My biggest problem is even eating what I wan,t I'm still only eating about 1100 calories for the entire day. Where am I supposed to get another 1000 calories?!!!

You could start upping your calories a bit at a time, but I was too impatient for that so I just jumped in with both feet.

Have a smoothie with protein powder, hummus with whole crackers and veges, peanut butter on slices of apples, greek yogurt (I add protein powder to my yogurt in the morning). If I think of anything else I will post it here.

And I'm sure the other awesome peeps here will have some wonderful ideas!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    high calorie foods-

nuts have crazyyy calories
    avocados (I think half of one is like 120?)
    protein shakes/bars/etc

once you start eating more, your body will want more. just gotta wake up that metabolism... I have no idea how I managed to eat under 1200 calories a day when I first started here, I usually eat at least that much before dinner now!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

My diary is open to give you some ideas. The only thing I can recommend is eating more often and eating more calories at those times. I get to about 800 calories before I even eat lunch and I'm at 1600 calories before dinner.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options

My diary is open to give you some ideas. The only thing I can recommend is eating more often and eating more calories at those times. I get to about 800 calories before I even eat lunch and I'm at 1600 calories before dinner.

WOW!! You eat a ton and you are sooo thin!! I still have quite a bit to lose so hopefully this helps... What are the banana protein muffins I see a lot of in your diary??