Bridge the Calorie Gap?

Options
Feddyvon
Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
I've just started researching through the Eat More to Weigh Less threads, and think I'll give this a try for sure. I've been stuck in the same 2-4 pound plateau for several months, and would love to break through for the finish line. Here are my current numbers:

BMI: 26.13
RMR: 2268
BMR: 2269
TDEE: 3517

With that, it appears that I should be working towards a calorie intake of right around 3000 cals per day, a huge increase from the 1500-1700 I've been maintaining fairly well.

I've plugged in numbers for the 40/30/30 break, but I wondered how most of your were able to bridge these large calorie gaps without resorting to "junk food". Did you just eat large portions of lean meats and veggies, or were there some magic bullets you used to get that count up. I've not used Protein Shakes during my Loss Journey, and have just now began a real workout plan with 30DS daily, paired with some walking, softball, golf, and basketball throughout the month. Would a high Protein Shake help in any way. I'm at a point where I'm more concerned with changing my BF% rather than weight, as a lot of muscle was lost in the past year while eating at a deficit. For me, it was a fair trade for the 80 pound loss, but now it's time to get some of that muscle back, while also getting those last 15-20 of fat hanging around my midsection.

Thanks for all of the advice, and being such incredible resources to us all.

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    To reach my calorie goal of 2400 cal/day I eat several 'meals' a day. I also target some good fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts, and peanut butter since there are more calories in the fat. I set mini calorie goals throughout the day. For example I know that I need to be at 1600 calories before dinner or I won't hit 2400 calories for the day. I use protein shakes but I mix mine with water. If I need more calories for the day I'll make a true fruit smoothie with it or mix it with juice. Some people mix it with milk, but too much dairy doesn't sit well with me.
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I also add a tbsp of flax seed oil to my protein shakes to boost calories and add good fat.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake with almond milk in the morning and another one after my workouts. That helps me with calories and protein goals.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes- you need protein. You're going to have a slower time building muscle than you did losing weight. It's why weight lifting, proper protein and fuel is so important even when we're looking to lose a lot of weight.

Get a protein shake- and chug ;)

Congrats on your great progress!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've just started researching through the Eat More to Weigh Less threads, and think I'll give this a try for sure. I've been stuck in the same 2-4 pound plateau for several months, and would love to break through for the finish line. Here are my current numbers:

With that, it appears that I should be working towards a calorie intake of right around 3000 cals per day, a huge increase from the 1500-1700 I've been maintaining fairly well.

I've plugged in numbers for the 40/30/30 break, but I wondered how most of your were able to bridge these large calorie gaps without resorting to "junk food". Did you just eat large portions of lean meats and veggies, or were there some magic bullets you used to get that count up. I've not used Protein Shakes during my Loss Journey, and have just now began a real workout plan with 30DS daily, paired with some walking, softball, golf, and basketball throughout the month. Would a high Protein Shake help in any way. I'm at a point where I'm more concerned with changing my BF% rather than weight, as a lot of muscle was lost in the past year while eating at a deficit. For me, it was a fair trade for the 80 pound loss, but now it's time to get some of that muscle back, while also getting those last 15-20 of fat hanging around my midsection.

Your bmr is pretty close to mine. What are your stats if you dont mind posting them? I can probable give you some info on what I have been doing later, currently on my cell.
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Your bmr is pretty close to mine. What are your stats if you dont mind posting them? I can probable give you some info on what I have been doing later, currently on my cell.

I'm 6'7", and currently at 232. I don't know my BF% right now, but would guess it close to 20%. I'd like to see if I can get my weight down closer to 220, with a BF% of 12-14, though that might be a stretch. Lifting and weight training have always been something I struggled to maintain, but I'm in a good groove right now.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Here's some pictures of different body fat percentages- could help you and others reading the thread find their goal.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body_fat_categories.htm
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Here's some pictures of different body fat percentages- could help you and others reading the thread find their goal.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body_fat_categories.htm

Thanks for this!! I am trying to set a body fat % goal and this is the first link I've seen that 'shows' me what a female body looks like at various body fat %. I think my goal of 21-23% seems reasonable given what I envision of my ideal body look.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Ok finally got some time to get on here. Anyways what you have to do i get into the gym and hit the weights hard. With such a large deficit you have likely lost a ton of muscle which as you probably know actually hinders your weight loss since more muscle equals more calories burned. Definetly up your calories alot. If your tdee is 3500 then 3000 would probably be ok, but I would recommend since you have been on such a large deficit to eat at maintenance for several weeks if not more to reset your metabolism. You have to realize that eating at 50% of tdee as you stated you have been wreaks havoc on your body and metabolism. And is not in the least healthy. You have to also remember that fast weight loss = fast regain, it's really that simple. So you need to get your calories up alot, get your metabolism running again and hit the weights to add muscle. Don't even worry about fat loss as that will come when you do what I just described and you stated you are more concerned with getting fit rather then losing weight.

As far as food I could never eat 3000 calories of lean meat and veggies and survive. I just can't do it. I eat alot of beans, peanut butter sanchwiches, chicken burritos, eggs, cheese, and whatever else you like and can eat on a regular basis. If you try to live off of a diet consisting of just lean meats and veggies you wont stay on that diet for very long. I try to eat what I can stay eating for the long term. I still have cheat days or cheat meals when I want. It's more about being consitent with your calories then worrying about what your eating imo. Maintain a deficit that's not to large and you will lose weight regardless of what you eat, it's been shown several times. I do try to stay away from processed foods as much as I can though, but I eat the little tacos several times a week at del taco, which I love. Hope that helps ya.