Diagnosed Hypo, goiter & question about protein shakes :-(

Options
Tigermad
Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
:cry: Hello. Just been diagnosed today as hypo. Doctor felt my neck and I have a goiter too. There's 2 swollen lumps one on each side of my neck. I didn't even notice them but now I when feel them and am surprised I didn't spot them.

I am starting on 50mg of levothyroxine and have to wait for a scan for my goiter. I will be asking my first tablet in the morning but am a little scared of the goiter. Is there a chance it will just go down a while after starting the meds?

Also for the last couple of months I have been using protein shakes that contain soy lecithin. Will I have to stop these ? I normally have 1 a day.

Thanks

Replies

• bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had a goiter on my thyroid, and my doctor used Synthroid (brand name of what you're taking) to shrink the goiter. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor any questions about it. I never had to have an operation or anything else since mine was shrunk by the medication. Ask your doc about the protein shakes, as I don't know how soy lecithin affects a goiter. Cheer up; at least now you know what you're working with and are not undiagnosed. :flowerforyou:
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had the goiter shrunk by using Levoxcyl and Cytomel. I am not on Armour. I avoid all soy as much as possible. There are some great Veggie protien drinks with Hemp and Pea proteins check out Jarrow formulas for some. I know there are other brands but, this is the one I am currently using. Best of luck
  • heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I had 2 goiters as well. They both went down with levothyroxine. The scan is just so they know how big they are nothing to worry about. I know I am getting an ultrasound of my thyroid to look at the goiter and see the size of them. So, long as you are taking your medication and eating properly you have nothing to worry about. Stay active as well. (staying active helps keep the weight off.)
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had the goiter shrunk by using Levoxcyl and Cytomel. I am on Armour. I avoid all soy as much as possible. There are some great Veggie protien drinks with Hemp and Pea proteins check out Jarrow formulas for some. I know there are other brands but, this is the one I am currently using. Best of luck
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. :smile:
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Also for the last couple of months I have been using protein shakes that contain soy lecithin. Will I have to stop these ? I normally have 1 a day.

Thanks

The doctor told me to use whey protein and stay away from the soy based ones.
  • Tigermad
    Options

Thanks

The doctor told me to use whey protein and stay away from the soy based ones.

Hello

Mine are whey protein but have soy in them. I will not use them for 2 weeks then see if I lose weight. For the other 2 weeks before my first blood test using meds I will carry on with them and see if it makes a difference.