Sugar in fruits

Options
jlohcook
jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
I recently up my intake of fruits and vegetables and noticed that I'm always above what I need, based on the nutrients list. It seems like my weight didn't seem to move, some days I feel like its up, although i try to keep within my calories, and creating deficit through exercises. Should I cut down fruits since I'm getting them from vegetables and other forms? Or how do I balance it in my diet?

Replies

• kelichik32
    kelichik32 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently up my intake of fruits and vegetables and noticed that I'm always above what I need, based on the nutrients list. It seems like my weight didn't seem to move, some days I feel like its up, although i try to keep within my calories, and creating deficit through exercises. Should I cut down fruits since I'm getting them from vegetables and other forms? Or how do I balance it in my diet?

It's possible that you aren't loosing any weight because you are deficient in something else. If you exercise regularly you need extra protein. If you are a meat-eater, you are probably fine but I would double check. Also, try completely switching up your routine...
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you are staying under your calorie limit and it is set properly, you WILL lose weight if you give it time (at least 2-3 weeks). Water weight will fluctuate a lot which is why you need a few weeks to really tell.

It doesn't matter what kind of calories they are, a calorie is a calorie for weight loss purposes. And being "deficient in something else" isn't going to stop you from losing weight.

As far as being healthy, you don't want to eat too many sugars. However, since fruit sugars are non-added (as long as you are eating fresh fruit) sugars, they shouldn't technically be limited by the daily limit on MFP, it is the processed sugars you need to watch out for because they cause insulin spikes since they have no fiber with them like fruit.

I am assuming you just haven't give it enough time. Be patient.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, still trying to figure out what works. I was a meat and carbo eater, moving to more fruits and vegetables diet doesn't seem to make me full, I guess my body is still adjusting, it needs time.
  • wayhaps
    wayhaps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Leaving the meat in your diet is actually a good idea, or at least replacing it with a high-protein substitute if you want to go the vegetarian route. High protein + high veggies + reasonable amount of fruit generally makes me feel pretty good.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    Thanks ladies, still trying to figure out what works. I was a meat and carbo eater, moving to more fruits and vegetables diet doesn't seem to make me full, I guess my body is still adjusting, it needs time.

I think one of the hardest things for me as well was to get over the mental aspect of "what makes a meal/makes me full." When I was brought up, my mom made a HUGE side of meat (probably 6-8 oz of steak, we were cattle ranchers), some veggies, and alot of starch (potatoes usually) for dinners every night. It took me a long time to feel like I was full with any meal if it wasn't exactly like that: meat, starch, maybe some veggies.

Fruits and veggies actually DO make you feel full because they are calories sparse (few calories for lots of volume) with lots of fiber. But for me it was hard to just eat anything and tell myself it was a meal and it had to hold me over for such and such hours unless it was shaped like my mom's meals: meat, starch, veggies.

So now I have learned to be more creative and focus on protein, carbs, fats, as well as getting my calories in mind. Even when I eat a little bit of pasta and I feel like I want more, I remind myself that while it doesn't SEEM like alot, I did actually get XXX amount of calories/energy from it and it WILL hold me over. Even when I crave a side of meat I remind myself that the beans I just ate had LOTS of protein in them and I don't NEED meat to make me feel full. The mental aspect has been TOUGH for me as well.

But yes, you don't/shouldn't need to give up meat to eat healthy. You just need to balance it. Lean meats are actually the best source of protein for your calorie buck. And we need lots and lots of protein! (Watch out, because MFP's default protein settings are really low, so if you are trying to stay under these, don't!).

Just some musings. Good luck! :drinker:
  • Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

As far as being healthy, you don't want to eat too many sugars. However, since fruit sugars are non-added (as long as you are eating fresh fruit) sugars, they shouldn't technically be limited by the daily limit on MFP, it is the processed sugars you need to watch out for because they cause insulin spikes since they have no fiber with them like fruit.

So since there is a lot of sugar in fruits, do we ignore that total when we add that to our food diary if we watch our sugar intake?? This may be a stupid question, but can the sugar in fruits cause us to gain weight?! I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I'm trying SO hard to increase fruits in my diet, but SCARED about all the sugar in fruit to go hardcore into it yet.

Thanks MFP friends :)
  • Shawn8216
    Options
    bump
  • jsapninz
    Options

So since there is a lot of sugar in fruits, do we ignore that total when we add that to our food diary if we watch our sugar intake?? This may be a stupid question, but can the sugar in fruits cause us to gain weight?! I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I'm trying SO hard to increase fruits in my diet, but SCARED about all the sugar in fruit to go hardcore into it yet.

Thanks MFP friends :)

Yes, you do ignore those non-added sugars in your daily diary. It's unfortunate that MFP works that way but it does, it's not complex enough (yet) to sort out added and non-added sugar and it is a big confusion point for many. What I did was create a "food" that was 0 calories but negative sugars, and at the end of each day I add that "food" in with however many units of non-added sugars I ate: so if a banana is 14 gs and that's all the non added sugars I had, I put it in for -14 gs sugar so my MFP sugars total shows what I ate for added.

Nothing can "cause you to gain weight" EXCEPT extra calories. Not fats, not protein, not sugars. You could sit there all day and eat however many tablespoons of brown sugar that would equal your daily calorie goal (for me that would be about a cup and a half), and you would STILL lose weight (you WOULDN'T feel very good or be healthy at all though). But interesting question, because this is a problem with the Weight Watchers plan, fruits are "0 points", so you can eat as many of them as you want and technically stay under your goal, even though one banana is 100 cals a pop. But if you eat to many "free" fruits in a day...well you may be on your way to gaining weight because they have calories in them....

Bottom line: don't worry about the sugars in fruits. Fat on your body is made of extra calories that your body didn't burn so it is holding on to just in case of a famine. Calories, NOT sugar, not chocolate, not chicken. It doesn't matter where they came from, it only matters how many calories it has to lose weight (being healthy though, it definitely matters where they came from).

It's all about calories baby.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I found this great article by the Mayo Clinic on sugars:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/MY00845

Good points:
    "Have fresh fruit for dessert instead of cakes, cookies, pies and other sweets."

"Check the list of ingredients. Ingredients are listed in descending order by weight. So if you see sugar listed among the first few ingredients, the product might be high in added sugar. Know that sugar goes by many different names, though — it may not be easy to spot added sugar even in the ingredient list. (then includes list of sugar names) "
  • Shawn8216
    Options
    WoW .. THANK YOU soo much !!!! you've beeen a great help :flowerforyou:

I learned a lot today !

- shawn *
  • eliselasco
    eliselasco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, this was very enlightening! I'm a huge fruit eater (mixed fruit shake in the morning with no sugar; pears, apples, bananas in the afternoon, etc) and I've always been worried about being negative in my daily sugar count. What a relief! Thanks so much!