Welcome!

Options
Lauraeb32
Lauraeb32 Posts: 17 Member
First topic. Tell us a little about who you are and what you hope to achive, pretty much who you are and why your here :happy:
I can't wait to hear from you all!

I'm a wife of a awesome man, who happens to be traveling around the globe 15-18 days a month, so I stay home with my two beautiful boys. They are 6, and 3. My family is what I live for, but living is hard to do when your body fat% is at a dangerous 47% and your constantly tired. So in February 2012, I began a journey of wellness. Found a personal trainer, then found another after that one didn't work out. So, my body fat percentage is down, but only after finding MFP did I recognize how much I actually eat daily, so I've started losing weight and feeling much better about moving forward!

NEXT!

:happy:

Replies

• yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hey There! And thanks for the invite to the group!

I'm Jen, I turn 43 this weekend, been married to a wonderful guy for 24 years, and have 2 fantastic girls ages 11 and 16.

Like too many other American women, I had suffered from poor body image and struggled with
    weight most of my adult life. I had tried a number of well marketed diet plans which often led
    to some weight loss, but ultimately gained all and sometimes even more back. (check my
    photos on my profile, there's a shot of me at @183 lbs- a "comfortable weight" for most of life)

My current journey to lose weight and get healthy & fit started in January of 2009. After suffering
    devastating losses in my family(Grandad in May 07', my Grandma 3 weeks later, then my Dad
    to cancer 6 months after that, and then my Mom 3 months later), I had a lot of time to think about
    life and family and time etc. My parents were only 64 when they died, my Dad of complications
    related to kidney cancer and my mom had a brain aneurysm. I can honestly say going through
    that time was the most difficult time of my life. I don't want my kids to experience losing their parents
    so young either.

So, I commited myself to getting healthier. A new gym had recently opened up one block from work,
    and I promised myself to go there over my lunch hour 3 days a week. After a few weeks, after that
    I noticed that it felt wierd if I missed a day, and actually increased my lunchtime workout to 5 days a week.
    Although I wasn't seeing any real results in the mirror or the scale, I know what I was doing was good
    for me and that was the main reason for doing it. Wanting to get more out of my work outs and see
    if I could start getting results I could see as well, I started working out with a trainer. He was a nice
    enough guy, and taught me a few things on the machines and such, but I kept juggling the same 5lbs
    up and down. After about 7 months, this trainer moved, and I was introduced to his replacement,
    Ray.

THIS trainer changed my life! Something about his personality just clicked with mine. He is direct, but
    patient, kind, supportive and motivating. He takes a genuine interest in my success. He not only instructs
    my in the gym during our sessions, he tells me what to do when we are not working out together AND reviews
    my diet and makes appropriate recommendations. I started working out with him in March 2010 and by
    October of that same year, lost 28lbs! And just as impressive(for me) is I have kept it off! His support of
    me goes above and beyond the norm of most trainers- he ran at my side when I ran my first 5K in the
    fall of 2011. He was also there, at my side running my 2nd 5K this past October. He cheered me on when
    I did an indoor triathalon, and just the past week, he was on the sidelines cheering myself and his wife
    (and 2 other gym buddies/clients of his) when we crossed the finish line at my first Warrior Dash!

I continue to hit the gym everyday over lunch, and workout with my trainer once a week not only because it's
    good for me and I have some areas I would like to tighten up, and could lose a few more pounds, but also
    becasue I LOVE IT! I can't believe I have become a gymrat! lol

Having someone who truly believes in you, and wants the best for you, and knows how to help make it happen
    has made all the difference in my success, and my new look on life. I'm so grateful to have him as a trainer and friend.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello & thanks for the invite! I just turned 28 yrs old, I've been married to my HS sweetheart for a little over 3 1/2 years. He's been so awesome & supportive throughout this whole process considering how much weight I've gained since we started dating 10 years ago. We have a 3 1/2 year old little girl who is my pride & joy. I have stopped & started this process since before she was born. But I never followed through. It wasn't until about 6 months ago when I discovered that I weighed more than I did when I delivered her that I realized I really needed help. I had to do the process in stages. I started out with 1 trainer who was awesome. She was the one who gave me the information to this site. I ended up having to switch to another trainer that was closer to my home & he has been pretty awesome as well. Once I got my exercise routine down, I started working on eating healthy. At first I was losing a pound a week with this site & I was really happy. Now, I feel like my progress has stalled & in some sense I feel like I'm going backwards for the last month. I have been gaining & losing the same 3-4 pounds for a few weeks now. So that has been really frustrating. But I'm determined to power through it.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Elizabeth. I just turned 29 last Friday. Before all this, I suffered with depression from high school till now. It was much worse when I was in high school. At that time I didn't really care about anything but eat alot of junk food to make me feel good. Because that was the only thing that did. I met my husband in college we both majored in photography. He didn't stay very long in school because he is in the army and they needed him. 4 years after that we got married. He has deployed twice already to Iraq, and most likely he will deploy again next year. I started my goal weight after we got married. We were living in Kansas because he was stationed there. I started out working by my self then relized I didn't know what the hell I was doing lol and didn't see any results. So I finally hired a fitness trainer while living in kansas at the time. She didn't last very long only a month. After that a friend told me about curves. I joined up and I loved it. The owner of that place was really fun and she is also a fitness trainer her self, so I saw some results from working out there. When my husband got orders to get stationed here at fort bragg, I transfer curves here. After awhile it started to become boring for me. I am not sure if it has to do with that the people who work there only sit behind the desk and doesn't really know how to help the members when it comes to working out. Top of that in May 2011 I found out I was pregnant. I worked out at curves till Oct and took a break till I gave birth to my son. I went back to curves in April. When May came I got a phone call from the manager from curves telling us the saddest news that the owner wants to close curves down which will be May 31st. So top of it all, I was almost to my goal weight then found out I was pregnant. So I am working on getting to my goal weight and getting rid of this pregnancy weight. So couple weekends ago my husband and I decided to join a gym and I hired a fitness trainer because I thought I wasn't getting anywhere. So I hope I will see some results from having a trainer. I don't expect to happen over night but I hope soon because they aren't cheap lol.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am so glad you invited me to this group!! I can't chat long right now because I am at work (shhh!) but later on today, I will get back on here and introduce myself properly!

Till then!

Rose
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hello! My name is Kimberly. Thanx for the invitation. My journey started in December of 2010 after a visit to my daughter's pediatrician. My daughter was so upset and crying at this visit because she weighed in at 180 pounds. My husband and I decided that enough was enough. We had tried losing weight several times before but it never stuck. But we were going to try again for her sake. We joined our local WOW gym and the person that signed us up just happened to be a health coach. He helped us to set up diet plans and set us up with a personal trainer. This trainer was perfect for us just starting out. For myself he had a great personality, he instantly made me feel comfortable and pushed me beyond what ever I ever thought I could do. My husband lost 100 pounds in just over 5 months. My daughter has lost 40 pounds and has more confidence than I ever though possible. The difference is amazing! I have lost 104 pounds and am not looking back. I still have another 80 pounds to go. I have a new trainer now, as my previous one became a manager and could no longer train. I have learned alot and absolutely love the trainer I have now. He has an awesome personality, stays on me for my form and has helped me rehab a knee injury I've been battling. I never could have done this without them. I don't know about anyone else, but knowing that I feel accountable to someone outside my family has really kept me towing the straight and narrow!
  • Lauraeb32
    Lauraeb32 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So happy that we have a group now WELCOME EVERYONE!
  • myhusbandletsme
    myhusbandletsme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - sorry cannot post to much right now, we are away for the holiday weekend and I just found the wifi code for where we are - I will post more on Tuesday when life returns to normal - Michelle
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I started working out with a trainer in July 2008. I had taken a new teaching job that year, and had decided for the first time that I would take the summer off rather than teaching summer school. But, I got pressured into and finally agreed that I would teach for that summer. When I agreed to teach, I promised myself that I would do something nice for myself with the extra money. The "something nice" was 2 sessions a week with a personal trainer. I checked out just about every gym in my area, and interviewed just about every private training studio. I knew I wasn't ready to just walk into a gym and start working out, and didn't want to waste money on a gym membership that I would end up not using. I found a trainer who was a little more laid back than most and it turned out to be the perfect fit. For me, a lot of talking, yelling, or cheerleading just doesn't work. I need someone who can tell me what to do, show me how to do it, and then just let me do it; too much talking is distracting. After about 6 weeks in he convinced me to spend one session with him and one session with one of his other trainers and he was right about that as well. They both had similar personalities, but somewhat different training styles and so I really got a good mix of exercises. He is also a runner and a triathlete, and the two of them got me started running. I spent about six months with the two of them before finally joining a gym. I continued working out on my own at the gym, and have returned to train with them on occaison, usually during the summer and at times during injuries. I've since lost about 60lbs, maybe more; it's hard to know for sure because I made the mistake of not weighing myself when I started. Aside from the weight loss, the two of them have really pushed me out of my comfort zone. I now run regularly. I've done 5ks, 10ks, sprint triathlons, and half marathons. I'm now training for my first olympic distance triathlon this summer. I'm a regular at the gym, I workout pretty much everyday, and in general just approach things differently.
    This past year I started seeing a trainer at my gym. It's a huge difference in price; I can see him once a week and he writes me programs for my other days; over the course of the year it works out to about the same as what I would have paid at the private studio just for the summer. He is not someone I ever would have chosen; big muscle guy, looks a lot younger than he really is. I sort of ended up with one session with him by accident, and we hit it off right away. After totally hitting a plateau this past year, he has completely changed up my workout routine. I've lost inches and pounds, and gained strength and speed. I'm about one pound away from my weight goal. He would like me to stay off the scale and just focus on my triathlon and weight training. I'm not quite sure I'm there yet, but my training goals are my first priorities, and the number on the scale is secondary at this point. I'm finally able to do 5-7 full body weight dips, and we are working on the pullups. My olympic distance tri is in July, and after that.....not sure yet.