Hello!

Options
bryansaums
bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
Hi All--Just joined this group. Starting week 5 tomorrow. I think I'll get through this week without too much trouble...when did you folks first hit a fail? I love the intensity and no BS of 5x5...not too many station changes, no waste of time. Think about my next workout the day before...that's never happened before. Cheers, Bryan

Replies

• mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I hit my first fail very early on, but I have some rotator cuff pain that limits my overhead presses on many days.
  • bryansaums
    Options
    Had a cycling accident a few years ago that ripped all the rotator cuff connections off my left arm. Through therapy and constant lifting, I have 100% range of motion and strength, but my shoulder are no longer symmetrical as the muscles reconnected a couple of milimeters away from their original locations.
  • Golfin4fun
    Golfin4fun Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone y name is Greg, I am 49 years old, want to get into shape before 50. I joined MFP in Jan, and have lost 40#. Now I want to get into shape. Started Stronglifts 3 weeks ago, just finished day 9.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just started the program this past monday. Started with just the bar as recommended so I'm looking forward to getting into more challenging weights over time.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just started the program this past monday. Started with just the bar as recommended so I'm looking forward to getting into more challenging weights over time.

same here i started this week and i feel dumb doing the bar. but i know it's going to get alot harder soon so ill keep with the program other then i started deadlifts at 135(since you really need 1plate to get the correct height) and bench at 95.
  • bryansaums
    Options
    Appreciate al the posts. Had a great lift this morning. Kicked @ss if I do say so myself! :smile:
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options

People really do start to take note fairly quickly. I just finished my 21st session, and one of the big guys in my gym walked by, saw 110 lb. on the bar for my rows, and gave me a simple, "Nice!" I am still in my rapid gains / form perfecting phase, and people already take notice.

Similarly, I was telling my brother about the program, and I commented how my squat was only about 100 lb. at the time. He pointed out that most "regular" people would find that impressive. He was also amazed at how I could sling logs across my shoulders and carry them to be cut for firewood like it was nothing.

Quick gains and functional strength for the win!
  • Golfin4fun
    Options
    Just finished day 10
    Squat 90#
    Press 65#
    Deadlift 140#

I cannot wait to see where I can go
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, good to hear how well this is working for everyone. I am starting tomorrow (tuesday, thursday, saturday this week). I will be starting with empty bar like he suggest, even though I'm sure I could do more on some of the lifts. I'm 6'3" 220lbs 22% BF, I am looking forward to seeing some gains in lower BF % and gaining strength/muscle tone.
  • percxa
    percxa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How'd did y'all start your deads with such low weight. I ask that from a height standpoint, not really weight. Seems like you'd have to set them on a box or maybe some weights to get the bar up higher. Or did you just start with it down that low and deal with it?
  • Golfin4fun
    Options
    I just stacked a couple of weights on each side, measuring the bar at 9 inches high off the floor, I beleive that is what is recomended. I also did this for the Barbell rows.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    update starting 4th week on Monday. I started all lifts 20# heavier than suggested (i.e. 65# BP, 115# DL etc..) i have also jumped up more than 5# on squats.

Currently at (last lift weight)

125# Squat
    85# Bench Press (jumping up 10# for next lift)
    105# Barbell Row
    80# Overhead Press (worst lift for me, have not hit a stall yet but close)
    155# Deadlift

I can really feel a difference especially in my Bench Press, Looking forward to this workout and really enjoying it. My wife finally got on board (as well as my oldest son, 13) and started Stronglifts last week. Just a bit of an update, keep up the great work everyone!!