Anyone from around Joplin area??

Options
2»

Replies

• 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong... I love Rolla. I left for a five years, and was really missing it. I created a reason to come back. I like surrounding myself with geeks. They "get" me... well, more than most anyway. It's difficult to find someone who gets both the geek and the country side, but it does happen in Rolla.
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm moving to Joplin in July...Tell me all your secret great places
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    KCMO
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Great places in Joplin?? Haha...you're so funny!

Really depends on what you like to do.

If you like to eat and watch movies, you're set. We have lots of food options, plenty of Red Box machines and the movie theater.

Shopping is just like you'd find in any other mid-sized town - we have a mall that has all the same stores as everywhere else.

No really good coffee shops unless you like Starbucks. HOWEVER - Spokes and Spandex (local bike shop) just opened up a coffee shop inside their building - their hours are just kinda limited.

There are some trails, if you're in to biking/running trails. LOTS of races if you're a runner as well as an awesome local running store. There's several running groups/clubs: Joplin Road Runners and Common Grounds. And there's another racing team called Rufus Racing that focuses more on cycling and triathlons. I am in all three of the aforementioned groups and they are great people and I've made some really good friends by getting involved and staying active.

If you're in to alcohol, there's a place called The Vinery that's pretty cool if you're in to wine, and there's a home brewing club, too, if you're in to beer.

Honestly, Joplin's kind of weird right now because a lot of people are still re-adjusting because of the tornado. That stupid thing really set us back. Let me know if you have any specific Joplin questions!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

Great places in Joplin?? Haha...you're so funny!

Really depends on what you like to do.

If you like to eat and watch movies, you're set. We have lots of food options, plenty of Red Box machines and the movie theater.

Shopping is just like you'd find in any other mid-sized town - we have a mall that has all the same stores as everywhere else.

No really good coffee shops unless you like Starbucks. HOWEVER - Spokes and Spandex (local bike shop) just opened up a coffee shop inside their building - their hours are just kinda limited.

There are some trails, if you're in to biking/running trails. LOTS of races if you're a runner as well as an awesome local running store. There's several running groups/clubs: Joplin Road Runners and Common Grounds. And there's another racing team called Rufus Racing that focuses more on cycling and triathlons. I am in all three of the aforementioned groups and they are great people and I've made some really good friends by getting involved and staying active.

If you're in to alcohol, there's a place called The Vinery that's pretty cool if you're in to wine, and there's a home brewing club, too, if you're in to beer.

Honestly, Joplin's kind of weird right now because a lot of people are still re-adjusting because of the tornado. That stupid thing really set us back. Let me know if you have any specific Joplin questions!

I want to know more about this brewing club! haha. Guess I've never heard of it..
  • Maiducali
    Maiducali Posts: 35
    Options
    HEY! I've been in Joplin since August and honestly still know no one, because my boyfriend moved here to come back to family. I honestly didn't know Joplin was a city and thought it was gonna be scary. I would really like to meet some people and try to maybe get a fitness group/support group together. I really don't know the area that well and want to do some new things like bike riding or almost anything that can get me active. I'm trying to get down 135-145lb and I'm already at 162.5. Anyone tried Anytime fitness yet?? Let me know!
    Stacie