NSV - Today is Donut Day

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I wanted to share this NSV, but didn't want to put it in the regular forum for fear of someone telling me not to "deny" myself of something I enjoy. I'm not denying myself.... I'm making a choice. There's a difference.

So every Thursday, there's two boxes of crispy cream donuts. One is full of plain and the other is full of an assorment of different flavors and fillings..... Mmmmmmmmmmm. I used to love Thursday's for this reason and sometimes I would just grab a plain and sometimes I would get my favorite: Boston cream with chocolate on top. Sometimes I would get both!!!! I can't avoid the donuts.... they are right beside the coffee :grumble:

For the past few weeks I have a new Thursday ritual. I go get my coffee and I remind myself as I am walking to the kitchen area that there are going to be donuts there and I remind myself of how good I have been with my new lifestyle. I go ahead and make a decision in my head to not have a donut. I fix my coffee and then I open the donut boxes and admire how cute they are and I think about how good they would taste..... and then I close the box and move on.

It's worked well for me to actually look at them, put them there in my face, and still make a decision not to have one. Granted, do allow myself a "cheat" now and then. But it's not going to be every Thursday, and I normally save it for something better then a donut..... like this weekend is my birthday and I plan on drinking sugary drinks!!!!:drinker:

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you!
  • Snapdragons3
    Snapdragons3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I would have so much trouble turning down Krispy Kremes!
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My office did a bake sale this week, and I actually had the organizer come ask me why I wasn't buying cookies/supporting the fundraiser. I spent all day avoiding chocolate chip cookies, just to be told I'm not contributing to our team atmosphere. Grrr. Best part? I work in healthcare - way to NOT support me trying to make healthy decisions!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Awesome job dodging the donuts!!

^^^ way to go avoiding those NASTY cookies!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I did not avoid the ice cream social at work today, but it was gluten free and I'll count it as part of my 20% (which is always gluten free!).
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My office did a bake sale this week, and I actually had the organizer come ask me why I wasn't buying cookies/supporting the fundraiser. I spent all day avoiding chocolate chip cookies, just to be told I'm not contributing to our team atmosphere. Grrr. Best part? I work in healthcare - way to NOT support me trying to make healthy decisions!

Polite: if you had something healthy to eat, I'd be MORE than willing to support the fundraiser... (smile)

Me: here's a buck - now get the %^& out of my face!

I made it a point early in my working career to NEVER buy fundraising products from anyone. Besides being philosophically opposed to the concept of parents doing their kids' homework for them, it seemed like every year more and more parents felt it was necessary to compete. The only time I would relent was the couple of times the parent would bring the kid in and they could make their own sales pitch.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I work right down the street from a Krispy Kreme and used to stop all the time and would often buy some for me and some for the family -- it's still hard but I haven't been inside for months and the funny thing is the family hasn't asked once for me to bring any home.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I refuse to buy or sell any of the stuff that the kids' school sends home for fundraisers, for exactly that reason. It's all sugar. At the beginning of the year they had a small fundraiser for Yankee Candle, but that's the only one that wasn't horribly unhealthy food. So annoying. Hey, let's give lip service to fighting childhood obesity, and then make all the kids' parents buy candy and frozen pastries by the case!