Having Trouble Hitting my Calorie Count

Options
I'm finding that I'm having a hard time hitting my calorie count each day; I'm trending 150-250 calories under. I've been trying to eat more and feel like I'm eating all the time. Last night I couldn't even finish my dinner. Does anyone have any recommendations for higher calorie healthy foods? Maybe my snacks during the day need to be higher in cals?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter
    Avacados
    Almonds
    Greek Yogurt
    Fruit

stuff like that.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    but there's only so much peanut butter you can eat...LOL

I'm getting some protein powder to help, as I am also not hitting my protein levels, that might be a thought for you
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Don't go for the light options either. The regular have more calories in them
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to add a Protein Shake, maybe two, to my daily diet in order to hit such a high calorie/protein target. I just tried increasing my cals by a couple hundred yesterday and could really tell the difference in fullness, almost uncomfortably so.
  • christina_curlyred
    Options
    Thanks guys - I tried having a protein shake (Ideal Shape) as a snack yesterday and that got me closer. I'm going to try to eat some kind of protein as my snacks and see if I can hit my cal and protein goals that way. Thanks for all the tips!

I'm a little freaked out though - the more I eat - the hungrier I seem to get - Is that normal??
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm a little freaked out though - the more I eat - the hungrier I seem to get - Is that normal??

the hunger hit me hard just a few days in. in fact, i'm pretty much constantly hungry still even 6 weeks in, but it isn't the panic inducing hunger that i first experienced (i swear i had the hunger shakes just about all day one day). more like my body now expects constant fuel because i have set it up to expect just that, and when it doesn't get it right when it wants it, my body (sometimes not so politely) lets me know.

eta: i have NO problem getting all my cals in, lol. i have a problem going over, in fact, even though i used to eat 1300 every day. my diary is open if you want to look it over.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I was a bit under last night and I made up a shake - 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder, two tablespoons of peanut butter, half a banana, 8 oz of water and some crushed ice. Blended on high for about a minute. Wish I could have it every day but totaled it came to over 400 calories (the peanut butter is what took it so high). Definitely going to be my "go to" shake when I need the extra calories.
  • christina_curlyred
    Options
    Hi - Thanks for responding. I noticed in your diary that you use almond milk with pasta - is that to replace the cream sauce? I've been trying to find something besides heavy cream to use in my creamy pasta dishes - How I Miss Them!!
  • rebekahgo
    Options
    Hi - Thanks for responding. I noticed in your diary that you use almond milk with pasta - is that to replace the cream sauce? I've been trying to find something besides heavy cream to use in my creamy pasta dishes - How I Miss Them!!

i have an awesome solution for all your creamy pasta needs!!!!

i have to run somewhere for work though. i will post it when i get back.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein powder... I actually add it to my coffee in the morning instead of creamer ( I don't use creamer anymore) when I need the cals... :) I buy the body fortress whey protein powder from walmart... the chocolate is really tasty, but because I use it in a variety of things, I get the vanilla, and just add some dark cocoa powder when I want chocolate. It tastes very good, and is only about $15 at walmart... if you get thier bundle deals online, it's a few dollars cheaper...and you can actually order it online to pick up an hour later in the store. Best value for the protein powder and taste I have found...

Otherwise, make a smoothie with almond milk, almond butter, cocoa powder, ice, stevia, protein powder and if you needed, a banana. Tastes amazing!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 solid meals and then my snacks are what get me up there in calories.

This is what I snack on:

greek yogurt with all bran buds
    almonds and grapes
    peanut butter on a banana or apple
    avocado
    healthy muffins
    chocolate milk
    turkey pepperoni sticks

I also use butter and olive oil.

I use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
  • rebekahgo
    Options

yes, i did use the almond milk for a cream sauce. i've been using it in place of skim milk with a lot of success. this time, however, it smelled oddly sweet. so much so that i actually looked at my milk label to make sure i hadn't accidently picked up the sweetened almond milk. it tasted great though! i just had the leftovers for lunch, and i'm stuffed silly which is a rarity lately. that's definitely the heaviest, most calorie dense thing i've eaten in a while. yummy!!

i actually made 2 casseroles last night - one full fat and one lighter with veggies added in. this is the cream sauce recipe (from memory - if i look at it at home later and it's wrong, i will come back and correct)......

light version - this is the full recipe, but i actually made 3/4 of it and had PLENTY for a big 13x9 pan.

1 stick light butter - melt over medium low heat.
    1/2 cup flour - wisk into butter for 2-3 minutes (mine actually clumped up really quickly so i added the milk almost immediately).
    4 cups skim milk - i used almond. stir as you add it. keep stirring until softly boiling and stir through boil for a minute.
    8oz sargento reduced cheddar - add after milk sauce has thickened and stir until melted.
    1/2 teaspoon each of salt & pepper

mix into your casserole ingredients or use as sauce or whatever. i assume you could easily sub in parmesan for the cheddar and make an alfredo. for the non-light version, just use real butter, whole milk and regular cheese. it makes a helluva mac-n-cheese.

for my casserole, i used 12oz whole wheat pasta, 3 cups broccoli, diced onions, 12oz lower sodium deli ham and another 8oz reduced cheddar on top (because cheese is awesome). next time, i will throw in some more veggies (i'm thinking cauliflower) and use a bit less pasta and maybe a bit less cheese on top just to lighten it up.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    you can literally add cottage cheese to anything, i put it in my tuna, in pasta sauce, in salads, on burgers, on chicken, in my greek yogurt, it like just adapts to the taste and makes things creamy.

for example today i had vanilla greek yogurt, cottage cheese, strawberries and all bran buds, it was so amazing

definetly add protein shakes or make your own homemade protein bars, i also sometimes have quinoa with tomatoe sauce and cottage cheese, tastes like a big bowl of cheesy spaghetti,,,what else, put feta, edamame beans and/or avocado in your salads with balsamic vinigar and olive oil, yum yum yum! i even put cottage cheese and avocado on my chicken or hamburgers, in turkey sandwiches...im obsessed.

HUMMUS! yum, or red kidney beans, kale, feta and onion salad <3 so good. one more thing, brand kettle chips low sodium, 220 cal and 13gfat per serving and thats ok because ingrediants: safflower oil and potatoes!!! i use those if i need something quick.

hope my ideas help :) i have no issues reaching my goals now.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I'm getting some protein powder to help, as I am also not hitting my protein levels, that might be a thought for you

What!? I am going to pretend you didn't say that......too much peanut butter, never!!
    But I guess I do make my own different nut butters and diff flavors so that helps.

But I still eat the s*** out of some peanut butter! :bigsmile:
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to everything I can. I drink no sugar added choc. milk with dinner, I eat lots of oatmeal, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, kefir (and add protein powder to all of it) I eat lots of natural nut butters, lots of almonds, I eat those low sodium albacore pouches every day to help with protein, too. Yesterday I hit 165 g protein. Use extra virgin olive oil when you can. Natural cheese can help, too. I put 1/2 avocado on my sandwiches or eat on the side of my lunch.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options

What!? I am going to pretend you didn't say that......too much peanut butter, never!!
    But I guess I do make my own different nut butters and diff flavors so that helps.

But I still eat the s*** out of some peanut butter! :bigsmile:

I'm a peanut butter addict LOL